Wedding Woes
Options

There has to be other options...or maybe y'all aren't MFEO?

Dear Prudence,

I bought my condo years ago, before property prices went sky high. It is a two-bedroom with easy access to public transportation and excellent schools; I get to work in 15 minutes. My girlfriend and I are talking marriage but stalling over where we’ll live. She lives an hour and a half away with her parents and two daughters, ages 12 and 9. She works in the city but insists we sell my condo and buy a big house in the suburbs. Her girls “need” a yard, separate bedrooms, and “space to grow.” She constantly complains about her commute, her parents’ interference, and the cost of her car, and I don’t understand how it makes sense to sell my condo to buy a McMansion that I will never see in daylight. Neither of us wants more children, and it doesn’t seem like the end of the world to make two sisters share a room. (I grew up sharing a bedroom with my three brothers and liked it fine.) If she worked far away, I could see the sense of finding a halfway point, but her daughters will be grown and gone in less than a decade, and neither of us works in the suburbs. We keep circling back to this, even after having done premarital counseling.

—Suburbs vs. City

Re: There has to be other options...or maybe y'all aren't MFEO?

• Options
    I think there's a major issue here.   Why can't GF help to contribute to a new home?  What is the size of the bedroom?  Sure you can put a 12 and 9 yo in the same BR but together in a condo can be pretty close quarters.   It can mean the shared space, smaller areas to stay, # of bathrooms, who gets control of TV, sound that travels faster, etc. 

LW seems to be missing the point here if he's just thinking about the bedroom.

And the GF is going to need to talk about financial arrangements and what she can offer and contribute to help this arrangement.

If they can't come to an agreement here then they may need to cut ties and move on.
  • Options
    I think they need to talk about quality of life and why everyone wants what they want.

Do they share a room at their grandparents'? While a place introvert me can go to be separate from everyone else is important (and why I hate open concept houses/condos), it isn't necessarily the end of the world to share a room. (I did. You deal.) Do the girls' personalities actually make it so that sharing a room would be pretty hard for them, or is it just some overblown concept the mom has of what kids deserve?

Do they currently spend all day out in the yard? If not, I don't know if they "need" a yard. (This comes from someone who prizes our large, flat backyard for family "soccer," etc.) Even still, you can't find another condo or house in the city but across from a park?

The choices aren't "this condo" or "McMansion."
  • Options
    I think they need to talk about quality of life and why everyone wants what they want.

Do they share a room at their grandparents'? While a place introvert me can go to be separate from everyone else is important (and why I hate open concept houses/condos), it isn't necessarily the end of the world to share a room. (I did. You deal.) Do the girls' personalities actually make it so that sharing a room would be pretty hard for them, or is it just some overblown concept the mom has of what kids deserve?

Do they currently spend all day out in the yard? If not, I don't know if they "need" a yard. (This comes from someone who prizes our large, flat backyard for family "soccer," etc.) Even still, you can't find another condo or house in the city but across from a park?

All of that too.  We went from condo to larger house.   The McMansions on the other side of town are outside our budget.   But now each kid has a room and we have a yard.

My guess is that there are houses in town that will work but this guy is not really open to making adjustments.   And that speaks more about his inability to compromise and play well with others. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

All of that too.  We went from condo to larger house.   The McMansions on the other side of town are outside our budget.   But now each kid has a room and we have a yard.

My guess is that there are houses in town that will work but this guy is not really open to making adjustments.   And that speaks more about his inability to compromise and play well with others. 
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. He makes it seem like there is only one house on the market in the entire city and it's a mcmansion in the suburbs. He likes his condo so he's trying to defend it and make it seem like there are no other options.

He needs to compromise. There's gotta be a third option. Maybe a townhouse a little further away than the condo but closer than the suburbs where the girls can have their own rooms (for me, it would have been HELL to share a room with my sister. we're close now but we hated each other growing up and we both needed our space). Hell, maybe even keep the condo and rent it out since LW is so certain these kids will be gone in less than a decade (LOL). 

Sure, the kids don't NEED a yard or separate bedrooms but it sure as hell would be nice. And if your fiance doesn't want to live in your condo, you need to decided if your rigidity is more important than your future with her. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Did the pre-marital counselor not suggest option C, a townhouse or small house in between the two points?  I live in a suburb of a large city- I don’t care how great the school district or commute was, I wouldn’t want to live in the actual city (at this point in my life).  I also wouldn’t want an hour and a half commute or to be right on top of my FILs, especially if LW’s FI complains about them.

I’m a bit more on the FI’s side, just bc of LW saying “if she worked far away, I could see finding a halfway point”.  Commute isn’t the only issue, I feel like he’s not taking the other concerns seriously.  
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    Did the pre-marital counselor not suggest option C, a townhouse or small house in between the two points?  I live in a suburb of a large city- I don’t care how great the school district or commute was, I wouldn’t want to live in the actual city (at this point in my life).  I also wouldn’t want an hour and a half commute or to be right on top of my FILs, especially if LW’s FI complains about them.

I’m a bit more on the FI’s side, just bc of LW saying “if she worked far away, I could see finding a halfway point”.  Commute isn’t the only issue, I feel like he’s not taking the other concerns seriously.  
    Yeah, everything he says makes me think he doesn't exactly understand what raising kids together entails. Maybe the FI needs to be clearer about why her wants would be good for her daughters, but I feel like he's coming at it like "Space for sleeping. Check. Well-rated school district. Check." and doesn't necessarily have a sense of the girls themselves. How much time does he spend with them, considering they're an hour and a half away, I wonder?
  • Options
    @mrsconn23, has even more good questions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsconn said exactly what I was thinking. 

• Options
    With all the money she’d be saving on shortening that commute they could probably buy a bigger place in the city; or pay for private schools. 

But yeah, if you can’t work this out with the help of a premarital counselor maybe stalling the wedding talk isn’t the worst idea. 
  • Options
    I enjoyed reading the comments on the Prudie site. The top comments were that dude needs to rent out his condo and try living in any new home with the woman and her children before parting with his condo. Try being a full-time step-dad before upending your life, basically. 
    Bingo!  The red flags shot up at the "Living with her parents and demanding moving into a McMansion in the suburbs where neither of us work" and that was before mention of the kids!  Unless she's got quite the dowry and savings, "The key to marital bliss is owning two houses!"..  

• Options
    They may be priced out of the market, even if his condo value has gone up. But even if that's true, it's generally a good idea for a couple to move into a new place together. There are exceptions, but there's less likely to be a mine vs yours situation if they both have to give something up.

And holy cow, "gone in less than a decade?" This is not a man who understands the reality of raising children!