Wedding Woes
Options

"I'm busy and working some stuff out. I'm sorry, but I'm not available right now."

Dear Prudence,

One of my best and oldest friends and I are going through a low point in our relationship due to some life changes on both ends, though I think it’s ultimately salvageable. My feelings are hurt, and I need some space. Unfortunately, she overcompensates and becomes very needy when she senses something is wrong, meaning she messages me multiple times per day and will email or call me if I don’t text back. Honestly, I just need a little break from talking and think it would help our friendship to take some time apart. I’m not planning on dropping her as a friend. How can I tell her this while being as sensitive as I can to her feelings and insecurities? It seems cruel to just fade away for a while and not tell her why.

—Just Need a Break

Re: "I'm busy and working some stuff out. I'm sorry, but I'm not available right now."

• Options
    "I have discovered that I sometimes need to go into hermit mode.  If I don't respond to you, please don't take it personally or think you did anything wrong.  I will reach out when I am feeling like my old self again."

• Options
    "I'm fine but I just need some time to myself at the moment.   I promise you I will be in touch when I am out of this needed quiet time." 
  • Options
    LW just needs to respond once to let the friend know she needs space.  I think responding once (either one above is a great start!) and not again until LW is ready would be fine.  Even if the friend tried to get more info, just responding the once and not again is fine.