Wedding Woes

Thursday

Prudie did a 'best of' for this week's column.  We've already discussed all the weekly column letters, but there are some chats I may post.  ;)

I got my house in decent order yesterday.  I was pretty proud.  I also got to take a nap on the couch, which never happens.  It was glorious.  :) 

Anyhoo, DH is off today.  We're about to take DefConn to do some shopping and then eat dinner out later on.  He's staying with my mom tonight since we both work tomorrow and my mom's meeting my sister and nephews to go see Mary Poppins. 

SIL is coming to town and staying with us next week.  I'm excited she'll be here to entertain DefConn.  She'll also probably clean or organize something (even when I tell her to not) because she's MIL incarnate.  I'd totally live with her if I could. :D 

Re: Thursday

• I’m working today, in the office, while H is home with the contractors and figuring out what type of hot water heater to buy. I’ve got a ton of work to catch up on and very little motivation to do it all. But at least it’s a short week, right?
  • I’m here.  Yesterday dragged on and on and on and on... and that was WITH 1 my hour and 45 minute lunch break! Wake me up when it’s 3:00 on Friday.  I have a feeling that’s when we’ll be let out. 

• I took the day off from housework today, even though there is so much to do. My mom gets into town next week. I am cautiously excited to see her, I love her but sometimes we clash.

our Christmas was very nice. DH’s love language is gifts so he always goes over the top and spoils me. It used to bother me (it felt like he was trying to buy my love) but now I just enjoy it.

I found out today that a guy I used to work with died from mesothelioma. He was very young, like late 20s. I feel so bad for his family. He was wonderful, so quiet but incredibly sassy when you broke his shell. 
  • So sorry to hear that @missjeanlousie :(

• There is basically a skeleton crew in the office.  And I'm loving it.  It's so quiet.  I haven't done much work, but I need to get on that.

Oh, let me tell you about Christmas last night.  We were at K's dad's family Christmas.  Their family from Hawaii came in.  There are 3 kids:  O [3ish boy], TG [7ish girl] and H [sitting up, not crawling age baby girl].  Add, 10 adults total.  We were all in a very small space; grandma's house is one of those patio homes for older adults, so the living room is maybe 12x16 w/out furniture.  Play space is down to maybe 10x7 area, with adults sitting around.

O was an unholy ungodly TERROR.  I know I'm not kid friendly, but I try to suck it up.  I was also trying to contain it b/c they'd all just come off the plan and I'm sure the kids were tired and overstimulated.  This was too much.  It started with him throwing every thing he could pick up.  Moved into throwing everything he could pick up at the cat.  Moved into sitting on presents.  Moved into throwing presents at the cat.  Getting warnings, but no time outs.  Screeching in that special way only boy toddlers can really do.  THEN, the little asshole gets a harmonica and that starts getting thrown.  I'm already at my wit's end about this child, but trying to just ignore the missiles coming my way and the yelling by and at the kid.  I picked up my phone and tried to lose myself in it, which for me is a BFD, b/c I think it's rude AF to be at a family function and looking at my phone.

Finally, O manages to knock over baby H who is sitting on the floor, b/c he's like...IDK, wrestling with himself on the floor?  Oh, did I mention grandma's floor is tile?!?  H, of course, is crying bloody murder b/c she's a baby and she just had her head hit the floor.  And O is just told, "You have to be careful."  In my head, I'm like, Could we get a damn time out, please?!  He's out of control.  Then, he chucked the harmonica at my head.  I was done.  We left quickly after that.  I kept apologizing to K, but they said they understood, we were there long enough, and they weren't too impressed with O's behavior and parental control either.

So yes, my nice quiet office is quite nice.  :smile:
  • @VarunaTT This is how I pictured you handling that situation as I read that;

• ((stumbling in, bleary-eyed))  What's day is it, lol?

@VarnuaTT, glad it's a mellow day at work!  Sounds like what O really needed after the plane ride was a long nap, smh.  And more discipline, in general.

@charlotte989875, it IS a short week!  So happy about that.  I'm just working today and a half-day tomorrow.  Then I have a 4-day weekend for New Year's.  Good luck with the hot water heater.  Are you all thinking about going tankless?  It is a lot spendier and I've heard some mixed reviews.  But people who like them, seem to LOVE them.  I've looked into them a bit, but don't have any personal experience.  We have this cut-out in our house where there is a side door.  That's where our hot water heater lives.  Someday, I want to wall that stupid cut-out in and expand the kitchen.  We'd have to get a tankless at that point, because there just isn't any other good place for a typical hot water heater.

@missJeanLouise, I'm glad you all had a good Christmas.  Hopefully you have a fun time with your mom during her visit next week.  I'm sorry to hear about your former coworker.  I actually sat on a mock jury about mesotheliomia and learned a good bit about it.  It's always fatal, but usually takes many years (sometimes decades) after exposure before the disease develops.  It makes it such an extra shame he developed it so early. 

@mrsconn23, thanks for scrounging up some Prudie, despite it being a "best of" week!  It was a nice surprise this morning.

Overall, it was a great and long Christmas weekend.  Lots of relaxing got done.  I meant to go after-Christmas sale shopping yesterday.  But was too lazy to even do that, lol.  I kept a warm crockpot of apple cider brewing almost all weekend.  I also discovered that 1/2 egg-nog and 1/2 milk (to cut down  on the sweetness and thickness) is especially delicious with a few glugs of Crown Royal Maple.  I mean, booziness sure, but the maple adds another level of flavor!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    There is basically a skeleton crew in the office.  And I'm loving it.  It's so quiet.  I haven't done much work, but I need to get on that.

Oh, let me tell you about Christmas last night.  We were at K's dad's family Christmas.  Their family from Hawaii came in.  There are 3 kids:  O [3ish boy], TG [7ish girl] and H [sitting up, not crawling age baby girl].  Add, 10 adults total.  We were all in a very small space; grandma's house is one of those patio homes for older adults, so the living room is maybe 12x16 w/out furniture.  Play space is down to maybe 10x7 area, with adults sitting around.

O was an unholy ungodly TERROR.  I know I'm not kid friendly, but I try to suck it up.  I was also trying to contain it b/c they'd all just come off the plan and I'm sure the kids were tired and overstimulated.  This was too much.  It started with him throwing every thing he could pick up.  Moved into throwing everything he could pick up at the cat.  Moved into sitting on presents.  Moved into throwing presents at the cat.  Getting warnings, but no time outs.  Screeching in that special way only boy toddlers can really do.  THEN, the little asshole gets a harmonica and that starts getting thrown.  I'm already at my wit's end about this child, but trying to just ignore the missiles coming my way and the yelling by and at the kid.  I picked up my phone and tried to lose myself in it, which for me is a BFD, b/c I think it's rude AF to be at a family function and looking at my phone.

Finally, O manages to knock over baby H who is sitting on the floor, b/c he's like...IDK, wrestling with himself on the floor?  Oh, did I mention grandma's floor is tile?!?  H, of course, is crying bloody murder b/c she's a baby and she just had her head hit the floor.  And O is just told, "You have to be careful."  In my head, I'm like, Could we get a damn time out, please?!  He's out of control.  Then, he chucked the harmonica at my head.  I was done.  We left quickly after that.  I kept apologizing to K, but they said they understood, we were there long enough, and they weren't too impressed with O's behavior and parental control either.

So yes, my nice quiet office is quite nice.  :smile:
    Three year olds are my least favorite age and I really love kids. I have one friend who is great and I love her kid but she refuses to acknowledge that a three year old has needs. Your child behaved acceptably for two hours in my tiny not child friendly apartment. That is so lovely! But now she’s crying and moaning andclearly ready for a nap. So please leave. And mom doesn’t get it. I even got their coats and said “thanks so much for coming” and some how they didn’t leave. I know I need to be more assertive but good grief just go!
  • Overall, it was a great and long Christmas weekend.  Lots of relaxing got done.  I meant to go after-Christmas sale shopping yesterday.  But was too lazy to even do that, lol.  I kept a warm crockpot of apple cider brewing almost all weekend.  I also discovered that 1/2 egg-nog and 1/2 milk (to cut down  on the sweetness and thickness) is especially delicious with a few glugs of Crown Royal Maple.  I mean, booziness sure, but the maple adds another level of flavor!

My parents are in town so I had them get what I need.  Which is 50% off wrapping paper and tags so i’m all ready for next year!

I haven’t checked to see if this was in the states, but my Canadian cousin posted that this crown royal with egg nog was fantastic.  I too, cut the egg nog with milk (almond milk the other day) for the same reason! 

• OMG! @CharmedPam that looks amazing! H gave me Jack Daniels Honey but I would much rather have that!!!

Christmas was wonderful. The kids were all here from Saturday through noon on Christmas Eve when DS1 and DIL left. DS2 left Christmas Day late afternoon and DD and family left yesterday. I'm glad they left in shifts. I would've been a mess if they had left all at once LOL. It was bad enough when they left one at a time. The babies were adorable (yes I'm biased). The best Christmas gift for me was having my whole family together for two days. My DIL just loves the babies so who knows maybe some more grandchildren are in my future - I would never ask though! 

Today H and I went and worked out ( very much needed after too much eating). I've cleaned the bathrooms and done the laundry - sheets and towels. Now we have to work our way through all the leftover food in a healthy way. I tried to send home baked goods so that we only have meat and vegetables to work through!

• Overall, it was a great and long Christmas weekend.  Lots of relaxing got done.  I meant to go after-Christmas sale shopping yesterday.  But was too lazy to even do that, lol.  I kept a warm crockpot of apple cider brewing almost all weekend.  I also discovered that 1/2 egg-nog and 1/2 milk (to cut down  on the sweetness and thickness) is especially delicious with a few glugs of Crown Royal Maple.  I mean, booziness sure, but the maple adds another level of flavor!

My parents are in town so I had them get what I need.  Which is 50% off wrapping paper and tags so i’m all ready for next year!

I haven’t checked to see if this was in the states, but my Canadian cousin posted that this crown royal with egg nog was fantastic.  I too, cut the egg nog with milk (almond milk the other day) for the same reason! 

Mmmm...I do like salted caramel.  I'll have to keep my eye out.  I looked it up.  It is sold in the US, but this particular flavor appears to be seasonal.

I use the Crown Royal Apple for my apple cider, lol.  Obviously, I am a fan of CR!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Mmmm...I do like salted caramel.  I'll have to keep my eye out.  I looked it up.  It is sold in the US, but this particular flavor appears to be seasonal.

I use the Crown Royal Apple for my apple cider, lol.  Obviously, I am a fan of CR!

My mom got me hooked on CR apple.  She just has CRA and tap water/ice and it’s really good! It’s not easy finding it when going to a restaurant or bar, so I always forget to order it.  I have to check for this one at my grocery store too. 

• OMG! @CharmedPam that looks amazing! H gave me Jack Daniels Honey but I would much rather have that!!!

Christmas was wonderful. The kids were all here from Saturday through noon on Christmas Eve when DS1 and DIL left. DS2 left Christmas Day late afternoon and DD and family left yesterday. I'm glad they left in shifts. I would've been a mess if they had left all at once LOL. It was bad enough when they left one at a time. The babies were adorable (yes I'm biased). The best Christmas gift for me was having my whole family together for two days. My DIL just loves the babies so who knows maybe some more grandchildren are in my future - I would never ask though! 

Today H and I went and worked out ( very much needed after too much eating). I've cleaned the bathrooms and done the laundry - sheets and towels. Now we have to work our way through all the leftover food in a healthy way. I tried to send home baked goods so that we only have meat and vegetables to work through!

I just checked to see if Walmart grocery includes alcohol and I think it’s an option!  Because I kinda got accustomed to not getting out of my car.  They dont have the salted carmel but CR actually makes a honey whiskey too, that i didn’t know about.  JD honey whiskey is the only one I can do. 

Kids are adorable, glad you got some time in with them @ILoveBeachMusic.  I had my nephews over on Christmas day and my 2 yr old nephew opened up so many toys and books and puzzles..... but ended up just wanting to play with my miniture model chicago blackhawks bus (it’s not a toy).  He walked around with it and called it the hockey bus.  Awww

• So sad about your former coworker @missJeanLouise
    I don’t blame you for leaving @VarunaTT you showed a lot of patience.  Three-year-old boys are the WORST (I live with one  :s).  
    Took the kids to an open play session at the kiddie gym earlier today.  They all enjoy baking so we just finished making banana bread.  About to give them lunch.  Nothing else on tap.
  • I just checked to see if Walmart grocery includes alcohol and I think it’s an option!  Because I kinda got accustomed to not getting out of my car.  They dont have the salted carmel but CR actually makes a honey whiskey too, that i didn’t know about.  JD honey whiskey is the only one I can do. 

It was last year, but I bought my CR Apple at Walmart ;).  I don't know about the grocery pick-up option, but Walmart has a large selection of spirits.  With prices that are usually as cheap as can be found.  Louisiana actually has a lot of liquor pricing laws and there are legal limits as to how "low liquor prices can go", so to speak.

In some Walmart stores, liquor is even it's own little section within the store and has its own cashier.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m so sorry for your loss @missJeanLouise

Bummer about the water the water heater @charlotte989875

@VarunaTT you handled that much more gracefully than I would have. I felt my BP rise with stress just reading that. Lol. @CharmedPam’s meme had me cracking up. 

My goal for the day is still to put the house in order from the weekend. Our house is on the smaller side so cleaning up from an event like that really does have to happen in shifts so there enough counter space in the kitchen. Other than that my plan is to go to the gym and continue eating left overs today. Lol. 

• Ugh, Varuna, instances like that are when I get so nervous about my expressions. My face says all of the things I'm able to hold back verbally. Good for you for holding it together.

My family always drank egg nog with 1/2 milk. It was one of those things that I didn't know was weird until I was like 25. It's just too thick on its own! 

I was out sick yesterday. Received several urgent emails from my agent with "SSC is out but she'll do this tomorrow", which makes me wonder what he's actually capable of doing on his own, if anything. I really want to take a week off just to see how he does, handling his own accounts. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever