Wedding Woes
Options

Opportunity is rarely going to land on your head. Explore your options.

Dear Prudence,

I’m an experienced morning radio producer in a midsize market, with almost eight years behind the mic. The station is successful but has never changed format or any major full-time on-air position in 17 years. The pay is lousy. I’m struggling to survive, yet I plug away at a job I hate with the hope that eventually I’ll earn a spot with an actual air shift and hopefully better pay. This seems less and less likely. Everyone tells me to quit and earn better money doing anything else, but I enjoy the “fun” aspect of the job, and I like being creative. However, creativity in this business pays less than $25,000 a year. It’s simply too hard to get through the day, and all I think about is how little I earn and how hopeless I feel. Am I a failure in broadcasting if I remove myself from the profession? I’d effectively deem myself worthless if I move on, yet another “has-been” or “never-was” in a long line of burnt-out radio producers. I need hope for my future.

—Failing Out

Re: Opportunity is rarely going to land on your head. Explore your options.

• Options
    If you can’t get through your day, you need to make a change. Start looking at other opportunities, see what else is out there and what the pay is. Maybe consider a side gig if you love what you do, but not what you make. 
  • Options
    Mrsconn is correct. I used to intern at a radio station many moons ago and they always said There’s no money in radio. 
    LW can start a podcast for creative outlet and more air time. Who knows, maybe they would make more money too.
  • Options

I'm making a big assumption, which might be incorrect.

It sounds like the LW only works p/t in the morning.  Which, quite frankly, puts $25K into perspective for me.  I think that sounds like pretty decent pay for a p/t job.  Though, I get it, overall that's a tough wage to live on.

But really?  It never occurred to them to get another p/t job or some side gigs?  It seems like voiceover work would fit in nicely with their skillset.  Plus having afternoons and evenings free would give them all kinds of other opportunities.

I'm also with the other PPs and don't understand why the LW hasn't at least tried to find other work.

I'm also concerned they would deem themselves "worthless" if they go into another industry.  Red flag.  I hate to always fall back on the therapy card, lol.  But they need to talk to someone.  Their lack of motivation to look for even another radio job or a p/t job to help supplement their income, coupled with the negative words they're saying to themselves, seems self-sabotaging. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Could they voice commercials?  Isn't there a way to make money in that if you have a good radio voice?  I don't know for sure, I just know that one of my favourite DJs has a ton of commercials on the air.

• Options
    TONS of opportunities in the industry if they're willing to branch out and add related talent jobs to their income.  Voiceover work for companies (someone's voice has to be on those fancy videos detailing the company's attributes/products/etc.), freelance event production, event announcing, MC, event DJ, etc. Perspective and branching out!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I’ve known a few people in radio. One does voiceover work, and another is trying to get back into radio and is working a retail job in the meantime. 

@missJeanLouise has a great idea about starting a podcast. One of our BMs works for our local public radio station and also has a podcast.

And I agree with @short+sassy that therapy might be a good investment.
  • Options
    I find it really sad that this person is worried that they will be a "failure" if they choose to leave this field. People change fields all the time. I'm about to turn 30 and I already know quite a few people my age who have done it. There's no shame in walking away from a career that is no longer fulfilling for you or that you can't financially or emotionally afford.
  • Options
    I find it really sad that this person is worried that they will be a "failure" if they choose to leave this field. People change fields all the time. I'm about to turn 30 and I already know quite a few people my age who have done it. There's no shame in walking away from a career that is no longer fulfilling for you or that you can't financially or emotionally afford.
    True. But it’s hard. I left a career I had trained YEARS for and there are so many people who thought me leaving was a failure. It’s hard to break that mindset. 
  • Options
    True. But it’s hard. I left a career I had trained YEARS for and there are so many people who thought me leaving was a failure. It’s hard to break that mindset. 

Yep, I agree with that.  I had to leave my field two years ago, and now it feels like all my education and training was wasted.  It SUCKS.