Wedding Woes

There's 'difficult' and then there's psychopath.

Dear Prudence,

My brother “John” married “Kim” last year. She is a perfectly nice woman, but we don’t have much in common and aren’t close. At the wedding, her mother got catastrophically drunk, sexually harassed the best man, and then got into a fight with the best man’s wife (a bridesmaid). The next morning, when the best man quietly moved tables so he wouldn’t have to sit with her, she screamed at him for “shaming” her and tried to stab him with a fork. No one on the bride’s side blinked an eye. The rest of us assumed they were just trying to salvage the rest of the day by keeping the peace, but when my brother asked Kim about it later, she said the best man shouldn’t have “flirted” with her mom and then “acted coy” afterward just because his wife found out. That’s … not what happened. We all saw her mother get out of control in front of everyone.

John said to let it go because weddings can get emotional. But then the same thing sort of happened at Christmas when Kim invited us all to their house for a party. This time, her mother tried to set fire to my mother’s dress, supposedly for flirting with her boyfriend. Kim said that it was my mother’s fault for being too friendly and that her mother had been cheated on a lot. John said that Kim knew her mother was in the wrong but was just really defensive of her. Now Kim has invited everyone to a birthday barbecue for my brother next month. We don’t want to go, but we also don’t want to skip my brother’s party. Every family has a difficult member (we have an uncle who gets drunk and angry if you won’t let him drive), but Kim’s mother actually tries to hurt people, both drunk and sober. How can we handle this? Not go? Go and do something if Kim’s mother gets upset again? (I wanted to call the police at Christmas, but Mom is worried that will alienate Kim and John. His best friend, the best man at the wedding, has already stopped talking to him because of the wedding day incident, which actually probably could have qualified as sexual assault if he’d wanted to push it, never mind his wife’s black eye.)

—Family Freakout

Re: There's 'difficult' and then there's psychopath.

• I get defending someone who is difficult, but not when their behaviour hurts someone else, especially to the extent that this is.  Honestly, sexual assault, a black eye, and arson?  Kim must be really good at turning a blind eye if she honestly thinks she can stretch it to everyone else being in the wrong.  If I were LW I would be blunt (as PP suggested) and not attend, though I would anticipate a falling out with my brother as a possible unfortunate result.  He is standing behind his wife.

• banana468 said:
    Screw the niceties at this point.   Be pretty damn blunt.   "Kim, if your mother is in attendance we are leaving.   Her behavior has been outright abusive.  Our mom has not sought legal action but I cannot put myself in a situation where I fear for my safety." 

John's made his choice to have this woman as a wife.   If she continues to defend her mom he gets to see that what it costs.    This is beyond the "My friend is dating an asshole" territory. 
    Agree 100%!  This does go far beyond someone who's just unpleasant to be around.

I'd tell my brother something like, "Look.  Your MIL is violent and unhinged.  I've met her twice.  And, both times, she physically assaulted someone over nothing.  Including our own mother!  For the safety of myself and my family, we will no longer be anywhere she is going to be present."

Going beyond the letter.  The sad thing is the SIL may have been abused as a child.  If the brother and his wife have children, I hope the LW would have another talk(s) with him about his MIL's violence and never leaving her unsupervised with the children.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This woman just sounds terrifying to be around and would honestly send my anxiety sky high. I wouldn't go and I would ensure "John" knew why.
  • banana468 said:
    Screw the niceties at this point.   Be pretty damn blunt.   "Kim, if your mother is in attendance we are leaving.   Her behavior has been outright abusive.  Our mom has not sought legal action but I cannot put myself in a situation where I fear for my safety." 

John's made his choice to have this woman as a wife.   If she continues to defend her mom he gets to see that what it costs.    This is beyond the "My friend is dating an asshole" territory. 
    Agree 100%!  This does go far beyond someone who's just unpleasant to be around.

I'd tell my brother something like, "Look.  Your MIL is violent and unhinged.  I've met her twice.  And, both times, she physically assaulted someone over nothing.  Including our own mother!  For the safety of myself and my family, we will no longer be anywhere she is going to be present."

Going beyond the letter.  The sad thing is the SIL may have been abused as a child.  If the brother and his wife have children, I hope the LW would have another talk(s) with him about his MIL's violence and never leaving her unsupervised with the children.
    I would probably consider talking to my brother one on one too.   If I encountered this I'd risk any family situation if I thought defenseless kids were at risk.   At that point I'd report anything I saw to the authorities.
  • This woman just sounds terrifying to be around and would honestly send my anxiety sky high. I wouldn't go and I would ensure "John" knew why.
    Yup. 

My FIL is a 'difficult' person to deal with and he views everything from the lens of how what you have going on will affect him. (Case in point: this weekend he sold his house and the closing date is set for July 12th right now; when he told us this, I'm going through my mental calendar and I'm like, "Oh that's the day before my mom's party."  He immediately thinks that means I'm saying we can't help him move. HE CLOSES ON THE NEW HOUSE JUNE 12th...which means he's likely going to moved the fuck out of the old house and into the new one by the closing date.  Sorry for shouting.  ;) )  However, FIL has never been a physical threat to me or anyone else. 

Therefore, Dear John needs to know that his MIL is a terrorist, emotionally and physically and TRIED TO LIGHT THEIR MOTHER ON FIRE and for those reasons, they are unable to socialize if she's around.  He lost a friendship over her behavior and is about to lose his relationship with his family.  But keep on pretending it's not a huge issue.  :/ 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    This woman just sounds terrifying to be around and would honestly send my anxiety sky high. I wouldn't go and I would ensure "John" knew why.
    Yup. 

My FIL is a 'difficult' person to deal with and he views everything from the lens of how what you have going on will affect him. (Case in point: this weekend he sold his house and the closing date is set for July 12th right now; when he told us this, I'm going through my mental calendar and I'm like, "Oh that's the day before my mom's party."  He immediately thinks that means I'm saying we can't help him move. HE CLOSES ON THE NEW HOUSE JUNE 12th...which means he's likely going to moved the fuck out of the old house and into the new one by the closing date.  Sorry for shouting.  ;) )  However, FIL has never been a physical threat to me or anyone else. 

Therefore, Dear John needs to know that his MIL is a terrorist, emotionally and physically and TRIED TO LIGHT THEIR MOTHER ON FIRE and for those reasons, they are unable to socialize if she's around.  He lost a friendship over her behavior and is about to lose his relationship with his family.  But keep on pretending it's not a huge issue.  :/ 
    For reference, I'm super excited for how excited your FIL must be to move :)

But right!? She legit tried to light someone ON FIRE 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    This woman just sounds terrifying to be around and would honestly send my anxiety sky high. I wouldn't go and I would ensure "John" knew why.
    Yup. 

For reference, I'm super excited for how excited your FIL must be to move :)

But right!? She legit tried to light someone ON FIRE 
    He is.  I think it will help in SO MANY aspects (for him and for us).  However, he's a ball of anxiety about it all since he's only ever bought one house in his life and has lived in DH's childhood home for over 35 years.  So managing him during this process is exhausting.  The house he got is perfect and I think it will help his grieving process tremendously to move out of the house he shared with MIL for so long.  
  • kerbohl said:
    Is anyone else curious as to how the lighting on fire incident went down?  I mean, was she a smoker that happened to have a cigarette or a lighter on her and tried to use that?  Or did she leave in a rage, find a bbq lighter, and then try to use that?  And why did this altercation end in attempted arson when the other situation ended in just a physical fight (the one with the bridesmaid)?  
    I'm oddly picturing like a bbq lighter she casually has and just *flick* ...
  • Or it was someone else's birthday and oops!  That's not a candle!

• I was also picturing a bbq lighter for some odd reason.

• Someone outside of family (I.e. Brother's siblings/Mom) needs to immediately be calling the MIL out... SNS...  They're teaching her they'll accept her behavior and BS lies for an excuse, mental illness or not, and victim blame.  They're enabling when she TRIED TO SET THEIR MOTHER ON FIRE!  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Someone outside of family (I.e. Brother's siblings/Mom) needs to immediately be calling the MIL out... SNS...  They're teaching her they'll accept her behavior and BS lies for an excuse, mental illness or not, and victim blame.  They're enabling when she TRIED TO SET THEIR MOTHER ON FIRE!  
    You mean report her to the police right?  Because SHE'S COMMITTING CRIMES!
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2019
    banana468 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    Someone outside of family (I.e. Brother's siblings/Mom) needs to immediately be calling the MIL out... SNS...  They're teaching her they'll accept her behavior and BS lies for an excuse, mental illness or not, and victim blame.  They're enabling when she TRIED TO SET THEIR MOTHER ON FIRE!  
    That's a start!  This is also one of those "Hey Brother - DO NOT let your MIL babysit under any circumstance!!!" should they choose to have kids...
  • I mean, is everyone in Kim’s family delusional, or could there possibly be some hyperbole in the letter? How is the LW still questioning whether or not they go to the party if she literally tried to light the MIL on fire? I’m just saying it seems a lot, much, even for Prudie. 

That said, I think you clearly have grounds to say you’re not going. At the very least if you do attend get up and leave if the woman is abusing someone, lighting them on fire, or generally committing other felonies. And tell them why. The reason she’s keeps doing this at family gatherings is because people keep inviting her. Maybe if the hosts realize no one will come when she’s not there Mom will cool it with the lighters. 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    banana468 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    That's a start!  This is also one of those "Hey Brother - DO NOT let your MIL babysit under any circumstance!!!" should they choose to have kids...
    I don't think she should be near them.   If she'd light a grown woman on fire in the presence of grown ups what's going to say that kids are OK when mom and dad are present?  

This is where documenting her behavior with those in authority is where it's needed.   She is a danger to the community.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Shout it 20 more times @flantastic !

Yeah these two instances equal more than 3 strikes.  John's bday party would be a hard pass for me, and I'd politely but firmly let him and Kim know why.  Like via text or email, something with a paper trail.