Wedding Woes

2 hour delay Tuesday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited December 2019 in Wedding Woes
We finally got delayed for once.  DefConn was up an hour early to boot (we sent him back to bed).   I forgot they call, text, and e-mail both of us.  So my phone went off, then DH's, then mine, then DH's.  I was like, "send a damn carrier pigeon."  LOL

It is looking to be a mostly sunny day, yay.  4 more days of work before a week off.  I cannot wait for time off.    

We're thisclose to being done with Christmas shopping.  We also need to make a plan for getting the house in shape to host Christmas Eve.  Oh and we got tickets to the Colts game Sunday (for free, because I would not pay to see a game at this point in the season) through a friend and that's going to be an all day thing since he wants to go tailgate. 

Re: 2 hour delay Tuesday

• I am <this close> to being finished shopping too. I am still looking for a 2020 calendar, some matching family pajamas (not absolutely required but keeping my eye out), a push trike for DS (I found it, now I just need to go get it), and other little stocking stuffers. I picked out gifts for my Nanny's kids but based on her reaction I feel like I should return them and get something else. 

Other than that, counting down the days till I finish at work so I can take a nap.
  • Thanks to @short+sassy , I am now looking at paint again lmao {although it's her that caused me to look at 2 new kinds :) }

Poor BabyKitten had nightmares a lot last like. Like 3 that we could figure out.
    1st I ignored because she was just screaming and not thrashing. I give a low time limit to see if she'll settle down {like 5-10min} but if there's thrashing, I go in right away

2nd was 2hrs later and she scared herself so much she launched to sit up, so I got her.

3rd was at 430am and she settled just as I was prepping to go in. Poor baby :(
  • Kids have NO SCHOOL AGAIN.  

They have had 6 full weeks of school since it started in the last week of August.  

I'm lucky that my aunt will watch the kids today so I can keep my hair appointment and she has them again on Friday when DH and I see a small independent film called The Rise of Skywalker. 

• Snow here but that’s pretty typical now. A few delays and traffic a little under speed but nothing major. Supposedly it will get worse later? It’s winter in Buffalo. 

I have one more week of work then I’m off the entire Christmas week. I’m so far from finishing shopping and I can’t wait for an entire week where I can sleep and shop. I still have to get a few things for H; my sister, parents, H’s SIL, niece/nephew, and I. Laws. So basically everyone. 

• It’s cold this morning. I won’t say how cold or all the Midwest and East coasters will attack. Lol. It was super windy on the way to work. My job is in a pretty rural area and there were a ton of tumbleweeds blowing across the road. I was worried they were going to hit me and scratch up my paint. I’ve seen them get as big as a Mini Cooper so I’m bracing myself for when the Santa Ana winds come. 

I’m not really done with Christmas shopping but my wallet says I am. FI isn’t getting a very exciting Christmas this year. The closer Christmas gets the more excited I am to stay home and relax in my pjs. It’s supposed to rain all next week so it’s perfect cozy weather too. 

• I stayed home yesterday.  K had taken Turkey (their patient) to see Frozen II as a reward for handling surgery well (Turkey is 5 and had a pretty big deal surgery at the same time I had my gallbladder removed) and then stopped by the apartment on Sunday.  Turkey ended up helping decorate our Christmas tree.  I wasn't thinking and picked Turkey up and down, b/c Turkey is maybe 30 pounds and tiny for a 5 year old.  That was stupid of me and my abdomen was incredibly painful on Monday.  Plus I seem to be having digestive issues now, 2 weeks after surgery?!  But whatever, the soreness has dwindled down to just a twinge again and I guess GI system is just gonna be mad for awhile.  TMI:  every time I poop, I feel like I've lost 5 pounds and there's a whole in my stomach.  IDK what that's about.

Gross roads here.  I had 2 incidents on the way to work on the same road, within the same mile, that made me glad I was driving slow, I know how to drive on ice at least, and there were no cars around me, b/c I would've been in an accident.  First time, I just couldn't stop at a red light; there was no one in the intersection, so I blew through it.  2nd time, car started fishtailing on a curve; I was able to steer out of it and not spin and only had to move over one lane to control it.  By the time I go to work, I was pretty shaken.  I'm still getting used to this car on ice/snow and it's significantly lighter than I'm used to.

Other than that, SSDD.
  • levioosa said:
    It’s cold this morning. I won’t say how cold or all the Midwest and East coasters will attack.
    lolololol
  • @VarunaTT, that does sound really scary!  I hope the roads are much better for your ride home.

@levioosa, I had my own temperature crisis last night, lol.  It was still a warm, comfortable temperature when we went to bed.  But I knew the temp. was going to be plummeting overnight.  We don't have central air so it's either turn the heater on when we go to bed.  Or don't.  We opted for "no".  But, meh, that's when it's hard to have major swings within the same 24 hours.

So many of you have next week off.  Nice!  My office roommate does also.  
    I definitely can't complain too much!  For both Christmas and New Year's week, I'll be working the Mon. and Tues. (which includes the Eves), but taking the rest of the week off.  I'm pretty excited about have two 2-day work weeks, in a row.  Since each week has one holiday and Fridays are already my half days, it comes out to me only taking 3 vacation days.  Cha-ching!

I just came back from a work luncheon.  We very rarely have them.  I thought there was going to be a presentation of what is happening over the next year or so, because there are a lot of projects amping up.  But no.  Apparently it was a thank-you lunch from the client for those of us at my workplace, who primarily work for them.  So nice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some companies irk me.

So after a meeting, my stomach wasn't feeling great and I ended up coughing so hard I was sick. Stomach didn't feel better, so I went to get some anti-nausea meds. Meant for nausea, dizziness and something else for motion sickness.

Buy it. Back to work. 20min later I'm feeling really .... spaced? I look at the bottle to be sure I didn't get like night time one or whatever. Nope. Normal.
    Wait ... there's a tab to pull and see behind label?
    MIGHT CAUSE DROWSINESS

WTF! Shouldn't that be on the front of bottle!? I would have just gotten liquid pepto if I had seen that.
    So now I'm struggle busing getting through work because I wanna sleep.
  • If you have a Master card you can buy a $10 egift card from Starbucks and get another $10 free
  • kvruns said:
    If you have a Master card you can buy a $10 egift card from Starbucks and get another $10 free
    Link?

• We ended up with no snow and all ice last night and into today. Thankfully my commute wasn't too bad, as it's just rain south of my house. 

I feel like I'm running out of time. I have all my gifts, but I have nothing wrapped. I was going to do that this weekend, but my friend's mom's wake is Friday night and then the funeral Saturday morning. AND I also scheduled an appt for a new tattoo for 5pm on Saturday. 

I'm also so jealous of people that have off next week. We only get off Christmas and New Year's Day. We will get to leave early on the eves. BUT STILL. 
  • We ended up with no snow and all ice last night and into today. Thankfully my commute wasn't too bad, as it's just rain south of my house. 

I feel like I'm running out of time. I have all my gifts, but I have nothing wrapped. I was going to do that this weekend, but my friend's mom's wake is Friday night and then the funeral Saturday morning. AND I also scheduled an appt for a new tattoo for 5pm on Saturday. 

I'm also so jealous of people that have off next week. We only get off Christmas and New Year's Day. We will get to leave early on the eves. BUT STILL. 
    I'll be at work. I have no PTO time left so the only days I get off are Christmas and New Year's Day. There are a couple of days between those two holidays where I will literally be the only person in the office. I'm not happy about it.

I'll be at work. I have no PTO time left so the only days I get off are Christmas and New Year's Day. There are a couple of days between those two holidays where I will literally be the only person in the office. I'm not happy about it.
    We close Christmas eve and day, but we are only closed on new year's day.  I only have next week off because I took PTO, otherwise I'd be working.  I'll be working NYE and no early release.  I didn't get Christmas week off next year, yet....I'm on the waiting list.  The only good thing is that Christmas is a 4 day weekend next year, and will be for us the next several years.  They close Friday/Monday when it falls on the weekend. 

How's your friend?  Also, what are you getting a tat of? 

I want a new tattoo next year.  I think on my upper right arm. 
  • @mrsconn23 what tatt and where on upper arm? like bicep?
  • It ended up being 33 here so just rain all day.  I survived my final class visit for older DD.  Only a few days til the week off  o:)

That totally sucks!! 

This is actually considered a black our period for us, so even if we have days left, we're not allowed to use them. 
  • DH is off next week using required PTO.   I'm off because he and the kids are off using up the PTO. 

• I have half days Christmas Eve and NYE and then full days off Christmas and New Years. FI has the day after Christmas off and I’m a little salty about it. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    We ended up with no snow and all ice last night and into today. Thankfully my commute wasn't too bad, as it's just rain south of my house. 

We close Christmas eve and day, but we are only closed on new year's day.  I only have next week off because I took PTO, otherwise I'd be working.  I'll be working NYE and no early release.  I didn't get Christmas week off next year, yet....I'm on the waiting list.  The only good thing is that Christmas is a 4 day weekend next year, and will be for us the next several years.  They close Friday/Monday when it falls on the weekend. 

She's getting by. I think right now she's just focusing on organizing the wake, funeral, reception, etc. 

I'm getting some flower on the inside of my right forearm. What are you thinking of getting? 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2019
    mrsconn23 said:
    We ended up with no snow and all ice last night and into today. Thankfully my commute wasn't too bad, as it's just rain south of my house. 

She's getting by. I think right now she's just focusing on organizing the wake, funeral, reception, etc. 

I'm getting some flower on the inside of my right forearm. What are you thinking of getting? 
    Yeah, the hard part is going to be after everyone leaves.  At least she may get extended time with people due to the holidays.  I've been thinking about her.  :( 

I think I'm going to get a hot air balloon with a strawberry in the balloon for my mom and grandma.  I may do some other small symbolism in it as well.  I need to start looking at some artists to see who can help me work out my vision.   I'm not sure if I'm going to put it on my bicep or inside my upper arm.  

We don't get the Eves off either.  But, especially for Christmas Eve, few people come in.  And the ones who do, bail at lunch.

My first year working here, I had started after Thanksgiving and only had a few hours of PTO for Christmas Eve.  I decided "whatevs", it's going to be a slow and mellow day anyway, so I'll just plan to work the whole day.  When I left my office at 5:00, I realized I was the only person left on the whole floor, lol.  Almost all the lights were turned off, including the hallway lights!

I'm going to try and be strong and work the whole day on both Eves.  Because my H and I don't do anything special, so there is really no reason not to.  Especially since it is a completely cake day.  But it's so hard to be motivated to stay when nobody else is here, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:

Really looking forward to next year’s holiday schedule. 
    I have given holiday timing some thought this year.

I officially declare that Wednesday is truly the worst day of the week for Christmas and New Year's Day to fall on, lol.
    It's like having 2 Mondays in one week. IN A ROW. Go to work Monday 12/23, go to work Thursday (covert Monday) 12/26. 
  • I work straight through the holidays - both eves, Christmas, and New Years.  I did have the option to have it off, so it is my own doing.  It'll be completely dead at work though ... which will be a nice change.  
    I still have Christmas shopping to do.  I'm sort of leaving it last minute, which is unwise.  Maybe I'll go out Thursday night to pick some stuff up.

Oh we only have Christmas Day and New Year’s Day off; I’m using PTO for the rest. (We’re lucky and get 5 weeks of PTO).