Wedding Woes

Super Bowl - favorite commercials?

I thought the Jason Momoa one was hilarious! 

Also loved the Jeep one with Bill Murray, and the Jimmy Fallon and John Cena one. 

I cried my eyes out at the Google assistant commercial. 

Side note - Shakira and JLo  were amazing! 

Re: Super Bowl - favorite commercials?

• Oh, and the Snickers one was pretty funny. 
  • As a Canadian, I miss a ton. I plan on googling a bunch later.

I saw the Jeep one on Twitter. Lol perfect ;) People have joked for years they should re-release Groundhog Day as a joke on Groundhog day.

How was the Mr. Peanut one? I saw a clippet of a baby peanut so idk what it was about
  • The Baby Peanut one was weird. 
  • @climbingwife was it basically resurrected a new Mr Peanut?
  • Yeah, that was the gist of it. 

Oh, I forgot the Bud commercial with Post Malone was funny too. 
  • I didn't see a whole lot because I was jumping up to get food or a drink during commercials.  I did love the Post Malone one.  I need to look up the Google Assistant because I missed it, but I heard it was super sweet.  

Apparently everyone on my mom board has opinions about the halftime performance. There's a lot of eyeroll worthy stuff being posted about why they didn't 'like' it.  I haven't waded into the discussion because I have nothing to say that's going to change anyone's mind.  It's definitely reading like an exercise in internalized misogyny.    
  • I watched the Jeep one on YouTube this morning, and a snippet of the Jason Mamoa one.  I'm going to search for more later today - I'll have to check out this Google Assistant one!

• I loved the half time show so much. People should really examine why leotards and a pole are scandalous but men giving each other CTE for a league that blackballs them for taking a political stand then tries to co-opt their movement in an ad is family friendly fun for all ages. 
    This! 

Also, some of the criticism is all, "Why did they do this or that? (Like Shakira sticking out her tongue)"  It was a nod to her middle eastern culture.  Furthermore, a lot of it seemed very Carnival-esque.  I'm sure it was 100x more tame than actual Carnival from what I understand in talking to my friends who grew up in countries where it was celebrated. 

But why not have a side of xenophobia with your misogyny?  
  • mrsconn23 said:
      It's definitely reading like an exercise in internalized misogyny.    
    Spot on. My mother also tried to bring this up to me in a negative way, and I shut her down. And told her she was exhausting.
    Same and I asked her if she had the same criticism of Adam Levine’s shirtless performance last year (note, she did not). Then she switched to, she didn’t like being “surprised” by the pole dancing. Okay. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Spot on. My mother also tried to bring this up to me in a negative way, and I shut her down. And told her she was exhausting.
    Same and I asked her if she had the same criticism of Adam Levine’s shirtless performance last year (note, she did not). Then she switched to, she didn’t like being “surprised” by the pole dancing. Okay. 
    Sounds like your mom and my mom would get along great. And she wasn't even remotely conservative when I was growing up, or when I was in my 20s even. 
  • edited February 2020
    Half-time

Didn't see it but saw snippets. Why people feel the need to comment the fact they're moms and doing this.
    JLo is friggen 50 .... 50!! If I look half as good as her I'll be happy. Shakria is 43!
    They look amazing.

Sorry but Adam Levine last year is a dad and took his shirt off. Why was there no backlash on that?

Why are people so eager to jump down a MOM's throat for looking like that but not a dad?

Side note: JLo's daughter in that? So cute.

edit
    Not shaming or saying anyone here is doing this lmao! General anger about this.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Sounds like your mom and my mom would get along great. And she wasn't even remotely conservative when I was growing up, or when I was in my 20s even. 
    Sounds like it! My Mom has gotten WAY more conservative over the years it’s genuinely surprising to me. I was taken aback at how scandalized she pretended to be. 
  • Shakira and JLo were amazing!  It's about time there was a half-time show with that level of excitement, energy, and talent.  I've seen some of the online "haters".  Complaining that the outfits were too skimpy and (pearl clutch) the pole dancing.  I'm not even "up" on the latest trends/fads, but...like the Take 5 commercial...who are all these people living under rocks?  Pole dancing isn't just "erotic only" dancing, it's pretty mainstream.  @mrsconn23, I bet some of those women on your mom board have taken pole dancing classes, lol.

I'm glad to see the Jeep "Groundhog Day" commercial with Bill Murray has gotten a lot of love.  I thought it might have been overlooked because it was more "simple", for lack of a better word.  But it was one of, if not, my favorite for exactly that reason.  It was fun and funny because it had Bill Murray.  Showcasing an "older" iconic movie.  With a cute groundhog riding shotgun.  Plus the Superbowl was on Groundhog Day.

I also liked the Alexa commercial.  Even though I would never have that product in my home, lol.  I hate to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist, but I think they are cyberhack security risk.  I also think Amazon/Google/etc. use them to automatically spy on people.  Both to market to families directly for items that are talked about, as well as on an aggregate scale.  Way too "1984" for me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    My favorite comment was from a friend, "If I look like that at 50 I will be wearing that to go grocery shopping." 

I wanted more J Lo.   She's SO GOOD so I wanted to hear more!

My MIL rolled her eyes but it's par for the course for her.   
    Seriously if I looked like that at 34 I’d wear it grocery shopping (not really, it’s cold in Buffalo by still). 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2020
    Half-time

Didn't see it but saw snippets. Why people feel the need to comment the fact they're moms and doing this.
    JLo is friggen 50 .... 50!! If I look half as good as her I'll be happy. Shakria is 43!
    They look amazing.

Sorry but Adam Levine last year is a dad and took his shirt off. Why was there no backlash on that?

Why are people so eager to jump down a MOM's throat for looking like that but not a dad?

edit
    I have a lot of the same questions.  Of course, in my mom group when it's brought up about Levine last year, people are all, "I didn't like him/think it was appropriate either." Sure you didn't, Becky. 

I'm just surprised at the amount of Karens coming out of the woodwork to be scandalized or just criticize the performance for being 'too much'.  I don't even give a flying fuck that that they lip-synched.  They worked their asses off for the show and it was great.  The addition of being not in their 20's and that they've both had kids just adds to my awe, even though they've both been dancers/singers for years at at high level and probably haven't taken too many breaks from that training. 

Like, if you weren't entertained...OK, fine.  But the criticism seems hollow. There are a lot of women there that skew/identify as liberal or at the very least, liberal on social issues.  So to have them all be "her body her choice" re: abortion and then, "OMG put your crotch away!" about this leaves me all, "Hmm, maybe you need a little introspection." 
  • I'm not sure if this classifies as a commercial.  But I also liked the young man...I forget what award he won...who was running throughout the country with the football.  And then he runs out onto the Superbowl field to hand the football over.  I thought that was clever!  Also, a good opportunity for the plethora of cameos the ad had.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not sure if this classifies as a commercial.  But I also liked the young man...I forget what award he won...who was running throughout the country with the football.  And then he runs out onto the Superbowl field to hand the football over.  I thought that was clever!  Also, a good opportunity for the plethora of cameos the ad had.
    I teared up a smidge at that, until FIL got all impatient and was all, "Are we going to get on with the game?!  What was the point of that?!"  

Uh, OK.  ::eyeroll:: 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Half-time

They look amazing.

edit
    I have a lot of the same questions.  Of course, in my mom group when it's brought up about Levine last year, people are all, "I didn't like him/think it was appropriate either." Sure you didn't, Becky. 

I'm just surprised at the amount of Karens coming out of the woodwork to be scandalized or just criticize the performance for being 'too much'.  I don't even give a flying fuck that that they lip-synched.  They worked their asses off for the show and it was great.  The addition of being not in their 20's and that they've both had kids just adds to my awe, even though they've both been dancers/singers for years at at high level and probably haven't taken too many breaks from that training. 

Like, if you weren't entertained...OK, fine.  But the criticism seems hollow. There are a lot of women there that skew/identify as liberal or at the very least, liberal on social issues.  So to have them all be "her body her choice" re: abortion and then, "OMG put your crotch away!" about this leaves me all, "Hmm, maybe you need a little introspection." 
    Right!? You can't be waving the "your body, your choice!" sign and also shame women who do exactly what they want.

I've heard they actually didn't lip-sync, which amazed me by the dance moved they do but I'm guessing they learned the same was Beyonce did - practice of dance and singing. I honestly figured JLo would lip-sync, only because I know a lot of focus is often on her dance moves. No shame.
  • Cheetos popcorn was so funny! 

I loved the Doritos Old Towne Road commercial as well!
  • The Baby Peanut one was weird. 
    I saw the talk about Mr. Peanut dying a couple weeks ago.  I thought the commercial showing how he died was supposed to have been aired during the SB.  But I didn't see it and I watched the whole game, so maybe I was mistaken about that?  Maybe instead I was supposed to have clicked on one of the links and seen it online?  Said like an '80s Valley Girl, "As if."

Now I'm seeing a headline ad on Yahoo that's, "Mr. Peanut's Death and Baby Peanuts Birth Explained."

Look, Planters.  Here's the deal.  If you have to keep "explaining" your marketing campaigns because people are just confused, then you really f**ked it up.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The halftime show was electrifying and everything a halftime should be.  I thought it was the best one since Bruno Mars a few years ago.  I actually haven't heard much criticism like most of you, but reading about it, I'm unfortunately not surprised.

I was up and down a lot so I didn't catch too many commercials. I enjoyed the Jim Halpert Bahsten accent one.  I liked seeing Big Papi and Rachel Dratch (she and Jimmy Fallon's Boston snl skit used to be one of my faves).  Too many political ads...although I have to say Bloomie is edging more and more into that "any functioning adult 2020" category for me...he was a decent enough mayor. 
  • ei34 said:
    The halftime show was electrifying and everything a halftime should be.  I thought it was the best one since Bruno Mars a few years ago.  I actually haven't heard much criticism like most of you, but reading about it, I'm unfortunately not surprised.

I was up and down a lot so I didn't catch too many commercials. I enjoyed the Jim Halpert Bahsten accent one.  I liked seeing Big Papi and Rachel Dratch (she and Jimmy Fallon's Boston snl skit used to be one of my faves).  Too many political ads...although I have to say Bloomie is edging more and more into that "any functioning adult 2020" category for me...he was a decent enough mayor. 
    That one was funny!

I remember watching one of those "behind the scenes" SNL shows/documentaries.  And they talked about those characters.  She said it was surreal because, in NYC, people rarely came up to her excited and wanting her autograph.  Or anything like that.  But after those skits started, anytime they went to Boston, they couldn't go anywhere without being bombarded by fans.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreed on Planters - if you need to explain it, you missed the mark. 

I did think the Cheetos and Doritos ones were pretty funny too. 
  • I think I'm so conditioned to not watch commercials that I always forget to watch during Super Bowl. I'll catch a few but usually don't pay attention. 
  • edited February 2020
    We watched a bunch last night.
    Snickers was good.
    Cheetos was .... meh
    Little Cesars was dumb.
    Planters ... meh.
    Doritos with Lil Naz X & Sam Elliott - LOVED! The mustache part lmao

Budwiser with "Wassupppp" made me feel old because it's the 20yr anniversary of it
  • We watched a bunch last night.
    Snickers was good.
    Cheetos was .... meh
    Little Cesars was dumb.
    Planters ... meh.

Budwiser with "Wassupppp" made me feel old because it's the 20yr anniversary of it
    WHHAA?!?  Well, now I feel old as well.  20 years ago?  Of course, remembering that Lord of the Rings came out 20 years ago also makes me feel old.

• kerbohl said:
    We watched a bunch last night.
    Snickers was good.
    Cheetos was .... meh
    Little Cesars was dumb.
    Planters ... meh.

WHHAA?!?  Well, now I feel old as well.  20 years ago?  Of course, remembering that Lord of the Rings came out 20 years ago also makes me feel old.
    On the youtube channel we were watching, they said "20yrs ago this originally came out"
    M and I were both :O!