Wedding Woes

Thursday Snow

Snowy here although it is the pretty snow that didn't stick to the roads too badly. Luckily no ice...at least yet. Not sure what today holds

Re: Thursday Snow

• Can we PLEASE have a real winter? 

I live on the CT shore and this winter is a reminder of why I don't live in Seattle.    I don't want a blizzard but snow instead of rain would be good. 

• @kvruns, I hope it continues to be the nice, fluffy stuff with no ice.

Down here in NOLA, we are having a cold snap for the next couple days.  But that should be the last of it for winter.  Temps are rising after that and then we'll be in March.  March and April are usually perfect months, weather-wise.

Apparently, people temporarily moved into my previous office.  I wasn't done cleaning it out, lol.  Whoops!  Doh!  And I was almost done.  The guy who is sitting at my old desk...still have 1-2 drawers to clear out...was really nice about it.  He said there is no rush.  He is only going to be there today and is living out of his briefcase.  Phew!

The things I am the most excited about today are food related.  I live a very exciting life, lol//s.  I have leftover chicken parm with angel hair for lunch.  And, tonight, my H and I are going to one of our favorite restaurants for a mystery shop.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    kvrunsOliveOilsMom
  • I drove from Indy's west side to the south side and back last night, and none of the roads were that bad at all.  But people drove with their heads up their ass regardless. ;)

I like looking out at my white lawn and the trees with snow on them. 

DH is off to do party prep today.  So far he's made us breakfast and been flipping around morning news programs.  He had Fox News on for a minute and I wanted to throw things at my TV.  Hopefully he gets his ass in gear soon.

Today is my Friday, w00t.  My sinuses are still being assholes.  I'm debating heading to a medcheck today.  I don't feel that horrible, but I'm also not improving.  Ugh. 

Prudie coming up.  
    kvruns
  • It was snowing pretty snow last night, but everything melted overnight.  They had black ice warnings out, but my commute was fine.  I'm eating a new breakfast casserole and it is yummy as all get out, so this is going into regular rotation.  I was hangry when I woke up.  

I woke up at 4 am, which is not terribly unusual, but couldn't go back to sleep, which is kind of unusual.  I did finally start falling asleep around 5:30, had a terrible nightmare, and have been upset about it most of the morning.  It'll pass, but I don't like the "leftover" feelings from dreams.

I'm ready for the end of the week.
    MyNameIsNotOliveOilsMom
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot Atlanta member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    It's pouring rain here today. It was quite warm yesterday, but the temp is supposed to drop from 60 this morning to 30 tonight, and then stay cold tomorrow. But I don't care, because I'm going to the beach on Saturday! We're expecting high 70's and sunny all week. I can.not.wait. 

Otherwise, SSDD. I'm trying to get a few things cleaned up at work before I go, but I have no motivation. Also, I should pack, but I'm lazy. I did go to costco and buy all the booze for the trip yesterday. I absolutely hate when check out people think they need to comment on your shopping cart. Yes, I'm buying 12 bottles of wine, two cases of beer, and a baguette. No, I'm not going to drink all of this tonight, but I will eat the baguette. No, I'm not having a party and no you can't come over. 
    short+sassyOliveOilsMom
  • It’s also snowing here, but it’s also February in Buffalo. I’m taking tomorrow off and we have Monday off for the holiday so I’m really ready for a 4 day weekend! 

short+sassyOliveOilsMom
  • I know cats sleep intermittently and can often be active at night.  But our new kitten Maple Bar, needs to get on a better program, lol.  She is the most active and rambunctious in the middle of the night and the early morning.  She often stays in the living room after we go to bed.  But at 3AM this morning, she briefly woke me up when came into our bedroom and started running around like a crazy girl.  Then she engaged in battle with the curtains.

When it was actually time for me to get up this morning, she was sleeping at the end of the bed with the dog.  They weren't right next to each other, but it was still pretty cute.  MB heard me get up and was suddenly wide awake.  Much more so then I was, but that's a given, lol.  She follows me to the bathroom, but by running back and forth a couple times.  Yeesh, I wish I had that kind of kitten energy!  Especially in the morning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    OliveOilsMom
  • I leave early tomorrow for "Kindness Celebrations" at the kids school.   

Chiquito needs to sign his cards and address them.   He said yesterday all serious, "I know how to spell AJ!"   Thinking that it wasn't two letters I asked how to spell it and VERY SERIOUSLY answered me "A....J."   It was pretty cute and I do love this age when he isn't a punkass.

Monday and Tuesday I take off and my computer goes to corporate for an update.

Today I'm finishing the booking of our fast passes.   We're 60 days from our trip!
    kvrunsOliveOilsMomshort+sassykerbohl
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    500 Love Its 500 Comments Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 13
    It's supposed to be a high of 52 today, but raining. 

I hate driving in the rain more than snow! 

I have not eaten chicken in 4 months (it makes me ill), but for some reason, I can't stop thinking about Quaker Steak and Lube. All I want is Buckeye BBQ or Lousiana Licker's sauce. 

I looked to order online and the shipping is $15 :-( 

I'll have to wait until I go home in March and buy some bottles. 
  • OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom South Jersey member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Its a rainy mess outside for us today, but we do get a high of 50 today before the temp drops to freezing for the next few days.  It has been so rainy for us this winter, no real snow accumulation, which I probably should complain about too much, but once in a while is nice!

DD was an absolute terror at school yesterday.  3 reports for hitting!  We thought we had moved past the hitting, but it came roaring back yesterday.  I know this is a phase, but I'm hating it!  And I feel even worse when she hits her friends.  It's not right to hit the teacher, but at least they can tolerate the hits better.  The crazy thing is she never acts out like this for us at home, so its hard to pinpoint what is going wrong at school to help fix it there.  We are trying to work with the teachers though and coming up with different ideas.
  • Its a rainy mess outside for us today, but we do get a high of 50 today before the temp drops to freezing for the next few days.  It has been so rainy for us this winter, no real snow accumulation, which I probably should complain about too much, but once in a while is nice!

DD was an absolute terror at school yesterday.  3 reports for hitting!  We thought we had moved past the hitting, but it came roaring back yesterday.  I know this is a phase, but I'm hating it!  And I feel even worse when she hits her friends.  It's not right to hit the teacher, but at least they can tolerate the hits better.  The crazy thing is she never acts out like this for us at home, so its hard to pinpoint what is going wrong at school to help fix it there.  We are trying to work with the teachers though and coming up with different ideas.
    Ugh - I've been there!

Can you ask about what the circumstances were before she did?  Is there anyone in the class that is a trigger for her?  This isn't placing blame but at that age kids can be set off.   If she's an only child and this is conflict resolution for her there may also need to be a time to split her up if there's a button pushing situation..

Years ago Chiquita and another boy went at it a lot.   And the boy was a biter but she was a shit stirrer.   It was a really rough combination.

How old is she?  
    OliveOilsMom
  • levioosalevioosa Southern California member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I’m aliveeee. Still not 100% but definitely feeling much more like myself and my energy is back. SSDD with work today. I haven’t gotten FI anything for VD yet since I’ve been sick. I feel bad. 

@VarunaTT nightmares that leave you in a funk are the worst. 

@short+sassy since I’ve lived this life three times in the past three years...hah...I find that the kitten/teenage years are the hardest. They usually start to calm down around the 12-15 month mark. It’s also key to not cave in when they bug you for food at 4 am. Because once you start that they expect it and it’s a hard habit to break. Jack wakes FI (not me, lol) up every morning at 4:30 am to feed him. And he won’t leave FI alone until he’s physically gotten out of bed, “feeds” him (they already have food out, but he wants the ritual of the bowl being shaken), and then because he’s an anxious fucker, he wants to be watched while he eats to feel safe. It’s ridiculous and try as we might we can’t make him stop the habit. So I guess that’s our life now lol. But MB is so cute! 

short+sassy
  • @levioosa, I'm glad you are finally feeling better!  At least so far, MB is a self feeder.  Our previous cat Nip was also.  Even our dog is a self feeder.  It makes life so much easier.  Your poor FI, lol!  Those are some wacky rituals that Jack insists on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    banana468 said:
    Its a rainy mess outside for us today, but we do get a high of 50 today before the temp drops to freezing for the next few days.  It has been so rainy for us this winter, no real snow accumulation, which I probably should complain about too much, but once in a while is nice!

Ugh - I've been there!

Can you ask about what the circumstances were before she did?  Is there anyone in the class that is a trigger for her?  This isn't placing blame but at that age kids can be set off.   If she's an only child and this is conflict resolution for her there may also need to be a time to split her up if there's a button pushing situation..

Years ago Chiquita and another boy went at it a lot.   And the boy was a biter but she was a shit stirrer.   It was a really rough combination.

How old is she?  
    Thanks Banana.  She will be 3 in a few weeks.  From what we can gather, since the school won't tell us who she hit, DD hits a variety of kids.   I do know that some of it is from needing to share.  There was a fight over a book that resulted in DD getting the book and then hitting the other kid with it once she got it.  But just last week, she got up from her cot at nap time and kicked a kid unprovoked.  She has also hit her teacher when they were supposed to leave the play area and she didn't want to go.  So even the circumstances seem varied.  I gave her a shot of ibuprofen this morning in case growth pains may be part of the issue.  She has been ramping up her eating lately, so I know a growth spurt is imminent.  She is also an only child.
  • banana468 said:

Ugh - I've been there!

How old is she?  
    Thanks Banana.  She will be 3 in a few weeks.  From what we can gather, since the school won't tell us who she hit, DD hits a variety of kids.   I do know that some of it is from needing to share.  There was a fight over a book that resulted in DD getting the book and then hitting the other kid with it once she got it.  But just last week, she got up from her cot at nap time and kicked a kid unprovoked.  She has also hit her teacher when they were supposed to leave the play area and she didn't want to go.  So even the circumstances seem varied.  I gave her a shot of ibuprofen this morning in case growth pains may be part of the issue.  She has been ramping up her eating lately, so I know a growth spurt is imminent.  She is also an only child.
    Chiquita was 3 and that was a rough age for her too.   You are NOT alone.   This is what kids do.   If you're handling it and addressing it you're just one of many parents doing the same thing.

Chiquita is 3 years 9 mo older than Chiquito.   She was (and still tries to be) the queen of the tropical fruits and it is DEFINITELY an issue at times.   
    OliveOilsMom

• Thanks Banana.  She will be 3 in a few weeks.  From what we can gather, since the school won't tell us who she hit, DD hits a variety of kids.   I do know that some of it is from needing to share.  There was a fight over a book that resulted in DD getting the book and then hitting the other kid with it once she got it.  But just last week, she got up from her cot at nap time and kicked a kid unprovoked.  She has also hit her teacher when they were supposed to leave the play area and she didn't want to go.  So even the circumstances seem varied.  I gave her a shot of ibuprofen this morning in case growth pains may be part of the issue.  She has been ramping up her eating lately, so I know a growth spurt is imminent.  She is also an only child.
    I'd been warned that 3 was worse than 2 and I whole-heartedly agree. Now mine is more of a good kid at school and a monster for me but there's attempted hitting/kicking/spitting/etc as he's trying to work through emotions and expressing himself. Not to mention they are testing boundaries and figuring out what they can/can't get away with so that can make it worse. I'm so emotionally exhausted from the tantrums lately so just a warning it might get worse. 
    OliveOilsMom
  • I had to come in to the office to work today, and of course that was the day it snowed.  It wasn't too bad though - nice and fluffy.  I passed a car that was broken down, and it turned out to be one of the people I work with!  Small world.
    Puppy is alone for the day for the first time since she got sick, so I hope she sleeps all day and doesn't notice I'm gone.

MyNameIsNot
    kvruns said:

I'd been warned that 3 was worse than 2 and I whole-heartedly agree. Now mine is more of a good kid at school and a monster for me but there's attempted hitting/kicking/spitting/etc as he's trying to work through emotions and expressing himself. Not to mention they are testing boundaries and figuring out what they can/can't get away with so that can make it worse. I'm so emotionally exhausted from the tantrums lately so just a warning it might get worse. 
    I've heard 3 was worse too.  DD was very easy going for most of 2 and we knew 3 could be more challenging.  We've been trying to approach it as if she were hit, does she like it?  Answer is no, so then your friends don't like it when you hit them.  We've also said that her friends may not want to play anymore, if she keeps hitting them.  We've also said that if she hits too much, she may not be allowed back at school.  The last one makes her sad and cry sometimes, but it doesn't change the behavior! 

Thank you for the commiseration! 

At least they make hair dye for all the grays this period of her life will give me!
    kvruns
  • So early morning a truck hit a hydro pole near my office {idk outcome} but it surged our stuff. So we literally spent all morning trying to get things working.

Was not easy.

It's snowing here too. Fluffy but snow. I'm done with winter. :(

My head cold has dropped into my chest and given me a wicked cough. Grr! Last night I just wanted to sleep but BabyKitten was just struggle bus. Idk what her deal was. Left her for like an hour and then she starts screaming.
    When I go in, she's got her entire hand in her mouth. Which makes me think her 2yr old molars are moving. Guhhh can we just stop with teeth!?

Anyone have suggestions on BabyKitten? She's starting that 2yr old mentality of wanting to help with everything and we do - to a degree. Like it's her job to get and bring things to M or I, or put her stuff away.
    We're starting to get the idea of cleaning, but it's not constant. It's more she wants to hand people things - if that makes sense.

Any tips on what else she can do?

• Any tips on what else she can do?
    Hand her a dust pan and a small broom?  A swiffer can work if you have one. Or ask her to hand you things when you're emptying the dryer.
    MissKittyDanger
    MKD - Those wooden puzzles or block sorting toys may keep her occupied for a while.  It would be something she can do herself or with you and M.  DD really started liking her little play kitchen at that time, so maybe you can find a used one on Craigslist or Marketplace?  That is where I got DDs and then I bought Melissa & Doug food toys off Amazon.
    MissKittyDanger
  • banana468 said:

Ugh - I've been there!

How old is she?  
    I'm so sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at this!  I'm just picturing a "No, MINE!"  DD "wins".  But then bops the other kid with it anyway.  Just for that rude cherry on top!

Now I want to look for more opportunities where I can jokingly do this as an adult.  Like, (to my H), "I took the last bag of Doritos!" And then lightly smack him with it, just to rub it in.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    OliveOilsMomkerbohl
  • MKD - Those wooden puzzles or block sorting toys may keep her occupied for a while.  It would be something she can do herself or with you and M.  DD really started liking her little play kitchen at that time, so maybe you can find a used one on Craigslist or Marketplace?  That is where I got DDs and then I bought Melissa & Doug food toys off Amazon.
    She has a kitchen. We're trying to get her more into it, but lately it's just all little people all the time {lol}
    Maybe we can start encouraging the kitchen, good start at least :)

M has been toying with her doing various stuff at night - feeding the cats {which is a risk but going well} and once it's nicer she'll take recycling outside when we're going to the car.
  • Happy Galentine's Day!!

SSDD. DS is switching to one nap a day and it is messing with my routine so I didn't get a lot done today. 

I booked DH a spa day for V-day but scheduled it for next weekend. I have a friend's birthday that night so I think it is a good trade off. 

OOM- I wish I had some advice. It is so hard to address a problem when you aren't there when it happens. Have tried reading books with her about not hitting? Idk any specific ones but I know they exist.
    MKD- BK is almost 2, yeah? Look on Pinterest for age appropriate chores. I think I saw things on there about toddlers wiping base boards and other things.
    What a great idea!  They are the perfect height for that.  Meh, base boards are my nemesis.  Almost makes me wish I had a toddler.  Almost, lol.  I'm sure that helpfulness is hugely over-counterbalanced by all the other messes they make.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    OliveOilsMom
    MKD - We sometimes ask DD to "make us dinner" and she will fix us something in the little kitchen.  She will come hand it to us and we "eat it".  She then takes it back and makes something else.  Yes, she is handing us sutff, but then it goes back to the kitchen.

MJL - Yes, we have books about hitting and mindful breathing that she loves!  They just aren't getting absorbed or acted upon in the moment.  My baseboards could use a cleaning, so maybe I should ask DD to tackle those!  That's a great idea!
    MissKittyDanger
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam Chicagoburbs member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

• I love Baby Yoda, I love this meme, and it's kinda so me right now.
    mrsconn23

• I feel attacked! Lmao!
    VarunaTT
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam Chicagoburbs member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer
    Aside from the chicken nuggets, I’ve eaten those for
    sure on a daily basis at work. 

MissKittyDanger