Wedding Woes

Ugh! Its a year away!

My mom is driving me insane! My wedding isnt even until January of 2021 and she is already a bridezilla! She has only known about the engagement for 3 weeks. I told her that I found a venue and she said that its too much money (they are catering, bar tender, half of the decorating...I just supply my centerpieces and tell them how I want it and they will set it up). I mean its for EVERYTHING except the cake and they will cut that and serve it too. i mean, the budget is for 150 people but I know not that many people are going to come so the price will come down but she is acting like she is paying for it. Gosh mommy! I just want my day. If the King says I can have it, let me have it. I feel like singing "its my party and I cry if I want to" every time she calls me. lol. Anyone else have a mommy who is trying to take over?

Re: Ugh! Its a year away!

• Is she paying?  If the answer is yes, then she gets a say.  If she's not paying, STOP discussing the price of anything with her!

Also did you physically write down the names of guests with room for "We forgot Cousin Gertrude and Jethro!" when filling out invitations to still have room to invite them if all RSVP "yes"...  

Also, be sure you're reading the contracts and making sure things like the bar minimums, cake cutting fee, food minimums, who is allowed to bring in the cake, are you allowed to box up cake to send home if there's extra, etc. are covered along with what is the cost of things like service fees, taxes, and gratuity.  
  • If your mom is not paying for any of the wedding, stop discussing costs with her. It's totally unproductive and not any of her business. 

• My mom is driving me insane! My wedding isnt even until January of 2021 and she is already a bridezilla! She has only known about the engagement for 3 weeks. I told her that I found a venue and she said that its too much money (they are catering, bar tender, half of the decorating...I just supply my centerpieces and tell them how I want it and they will set it up). I mean its for EVERYTHING except the cake and they will cut that and serve it too. i mean, the budget is for 150 people but I know not that many people are going to come so the price will come down but she is acting like she is paying for it. Gosh mommy! I just want my day. If the King says I can have it, let me have it. I feel like singing "its my party and I cry if I want to" every time she calls me. lol. Anyone else have a mommy who is trying to take over?
    If your Mom isn’t paying (or your Dad & they have shared money) then it’s none of her business what things cost, so your best bet is to stop telling her about pricing. However if she’s paying, even for a small part, then she gets a say in how her money is spent. 

As much as you want to share planning info with people when you do it opens you up to their (often unhelpful) comments. I’d keep the detailed wedding talk to you and your FI (and the King? Not sure who that is.) / whoever is paying, that way the only people who have opinions are involved in the actual planning. 
  • Ditto the other posters. If your mom is paying, she gets a say. 

To answer your question, no, my mom did not try to take over. My H and I paid for the wedding ourselves. I involved her, as in I kept her informed. But I didn't ask for opinions. Once I had booked the venue and date, I let her know.