Wedding Woes

Our venue won’t cancel our wedding due to coronavirus

Like many of you, our wedding needs to be postponed. We were getting married April 25, but it seems irresponsible to go ahead with the wedding. Our venue is in Tennessee and is currently closed, due to coronavirus. Yet, they still won’t cancel our wedding. My fiancé and I believe they are hoping we will cancel and lose our deposit to them. Is this how other large venues are handling this health crisis?

Re: Our venue won’t cancel our wedding due to coronavirus

• That seems super shady to me; if they are closed how can they hold your event? Are they expecting to reopen by the end of April (doubtful that would happen given the state of things)  and hoping you’ll cancel? Does your contract say anything but them not being able to provide services?

Gicen what other people have said here this seems not to be what other venues are doing; many are allowing events to be rescheduled to later dates when things have calmed. 
  • That seems super shady to me; if they are closed how can they hold your event? Are they expecting to reopen by the end of April (doubtful that would happen given the state of things)  and hoping you’ll cancel? Does your contract say anything but them not being able to provide services?

Gicen what other people have said here this seems not to be what other venues are doing; many are allowing events to be rescheduled to later dates when things have calmed. 
    Are they not closed on April 25th so they're holding your deposit?

It sounds shady but I am sympathetic with how this is going around for everyone.   Can you talk to them about not canceling but rescheduling instead? 
  • Based on what I've read here and online, it sounds like a lot of places are allowing couples to reschedule and move the deposit, but aren't really returning deposits for completely cancelled events. Is this what they're saying? 

It's a rough place to be. If you can choose another date in the fall, that may be a good idea. But given the state of things, I'd be nervous that smaller wedding venues won't reopen at all. 
  • An old school knottie is also in TN and has been posting about her grief as a nurse, in how that state is handling corvid-19.  That state seems to be marching line in line with MO regarding their handling.

TBH, I think you might take the contract and consult an attorney to see what you can do, if anything.  Make your choice based off that advice.
  • I know this is a difficult time for businesses and their employees. I’m also aware that a wedding is not all that important in the scheme of things, but I just wish this venue would be more proactive in their response. They would probably reschedule, but this is a very popular venue that gets booked up quickly. Finding a date that works would be tricky. My fiancé lives in DC and I live in Atlanta. We thought this location would be a good central location for our friends and family that live all over the country. I think rescheduling would be difficult. Our current thought is to have a very small, possibly courthouse wedding and then travel to different parts of the country to have big dinner parties. We may just have to eat the cost of our other deposits. At least we were able to cancel the reception location for a full refund.
  • I know this is a difficult time for businesses and their employees. I’m also aware that a wedding is not all that important in the scheme of things, but I just wish this venue would be more proactive in their response. They would probably reschedule, but this is a very popular venue that gets booked up quickly. Finding a date that works would be tricky. My fiancé lives in DC and I live in Atlanta. We thought this location would be a good central location for our friends and family that live all over the country. I think rescheduling would be difficult. Our current thought is to have a very small, possibly courthouse wedding and then travel to different parts of the country to have big dinner parties. We may just have to eat the cost of our other deposits. At least we were able to cancel the reception location for a full refund.
    I think you also need to take a few breaths here.

They aren't open and don't know when they will be.   They can't be proactive because they don't know when the domino effect ends.  

Example - Disney announced on March 12th that they were closing and were going to open April 1st.   Yesterday they announced that they were closed until further notice.   Sooooo when do I rebook?  Do I rebook for June?  Late May?  They don't know.   It's not reasonable of me to ask them to do something when they just don't have the answers.

You are more than entitled to being upset and frustrated.   However I think you need to put into perspective that anything closed right now cannot give answers because it's probably furloughed its staff (so they are not being paid and are not working), staff that are working are working limited hours, and they just cannot give you any answer right now. 
  • I am so sorry your venue is taking this approach. Ours is too with a May 31st date and I think that is bad enough. For yours it’s just outrageous. 
    For the record it looks like all our local venues (with the exception of ours) are being great about rescheduling weddings into June already. 
    So our venues not helping are the exception not the rule. I hope they change their position soon - I know how stressful this is.