Wedding Woes

Another Monday

I had two more people pass away from the virus this past weekend.  I feel bad for the families who can't even have funerals.  Hoping the curve flattens soon this is such a sad time. 

My kids are losing their motivation a bit...their district is very ambitious and high-achieving which is usually great but I'm a bit overwhelmed at the amount of work that's "not required but suggested" they complete.  Like the teachers are giving reasonable assignments each day at the webex meetings but then the district is swooping in with "this would also be great to go over- no pressure though!".  And they're in PreK and kindergarten.  My students are also being slammed by their teachers.  I feel bad for them too and have tried to be as supportive and helpful as possible.  It's been a weird couple of weeks.

Re: Another Monday

• ei34 said:
    I had two more people pass away from the virus this past weekend.  I feel bad for the families who can't even have funerals.  Hoping the curve flattens soon this is such a sad time. 

My kids are losing their motivation a bit...their district is very ambitious and high-achieving which is usually great but I'm a bit overwhelmed at the amount of work that's "not required but suggested" they complete.  Like the teachers are giving reasonable assignments each day at the webex meetings but then the district is swooping in with "this would also be great to go over- no pressure though!".  And they're in PreK and kindergarten.  My students are also being slammed by their teachers.  I feel bad for them too and have tried to be as supportive and helpful as possible.  It's been a weird couple of weeks.
    Yikes, that seems like a lot for kids that young. It’s great the district is trying to help keep them from falling behind but adding more in addition to what the teachers are doing seems, excessive. 

I’m really sorry for all of your losses. That’s so hard not to be able to mourn as you normally would. 
  • We’re doing fine here all things considered. One day just seems to role into the next. My sister did bring my niece over yesterday; they’ve been self-isolating for two weeks and we have been for three. We played outside in the mud puddles and climbed on a tree that fell in our yard. When she left my H said “wow, kids are exhausting” 😂. He’s not wrong! But we had a great time even though it was only for a little while. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's nice that you got to see your niece @charlotte989875. I'm dying to see my parents, siblings and nieces and baby nephew too- we've been quarantined for over two weeks and my parents have too- my city teacher sibs will reach 14 days this Thursday and middle sister will hit 14 days this Wednesday since her nanny has been in the home.  We're toying with a possible Palm Sunday gathering next weekend.  Or we may wait til an Easter attempt.  Not sure. 
  • So question about a 14 day “quarantine” even though technically we’re not on a lockdown.  Do you restart your count when you go out for groceries?  We’re told not to hoard and when I go, I do 2 weeks worth when I go... 

• ei34 said:
    That's nice that you got to see your niece @charlotte989875. I'm dying to see my parents, siblings and nieces and baby nephew too- we've been quarantined for over two weeks and my parents have too- my city teacher sibs will reach 14 days this Thursday and middle sister will hit 14 days this Wednesday since her nanny has been in the home.  We're toying with a possible Palm Sunday gathering next weekend.  Or we may wait til an Easter attempt.  Not sure. 
    It was SO nice! Just being outside, playing, and not thinking about the virus was fantastic. Really hoping you can see everyone soon! 
  • I'm tired of CV related stuff.  The Knot just needs to start a board for all of that.  I just "muted" a bunch of words on my Twitter, b/c the reality of my situation is that I'm going to continue working, in a building, with 20+ people, this pandemic is going to rip through a lot of people, and Trump is a stupid motherfucker.  I know I'm being a little fatalistic; at this point I really don't see any other option available to me.  So yeah, there we go.

I ordered a virtual reality gaming system for my PS4 on Friday.  I super wanted to pick it up on Friday, but that wasn't an option.  :(  Delivery was sooner than in-store pickup.  I'm definitely checking the date of receipt all the time right now.  It's supposed to be here Wednesday and I really, Really, REALLY want it.  It comes with 2 games already, and I went ahead and downloaded 4 more (2 that were on "best of" lists and 2 that were on super cheap sales and looked fun).  Just something else to do.  I basically spent all weekend gaming, which is something I haven't done in a loooong time.  Finally playing Final Fantasy 7, just in time for it's remake to come out.  Other than that, the weekend was pretty boring.

Oh, we did try to watch Tiger King.  I watched one episode with K and refused to watch any more.   Apparently it gets even worse.  Completely trash people abusing animals isn't my cup of tea, so K is going to probably binge it today without me.  

I'm still using my Emeals app, but I wake up super early Wednesday morning to do my grocery shopping and hopefully catch a slot for pick up, since Walmart is only running 2 days.  I'll have to shop this Wednesday, which is a little worrisome right now, but hopefully it'll be easier than I'm thinking.
  • I'm sorry @ei34

I found out on Friday that my aunt and uncle have it. They're OK now, but they're both in their late 70s. Our friend's son has it too. We've seen cases in my county now climb up to over 2200. Let me tell you, it's a weird time to be in NY. 

I'm working in the office this week - only 5 of us here, all spread out. Driving in was eerie. 

It's the first time I've worn real pants and makeup since the 13th. It feels weird, but I'm happy my jeans still fit. 
  • So question about a 14 day “quarantine” even though technically we’re not on a lockdown.  Do you restart your count when you go out for groceries?  We’re told not to hoard and when I go, I do 2 weeks worth when I go... 
    So I haven’t been out to shop (only H) and he wipes down his truck, his hands, all the groceries before coming into the house; and we’ve only been out for groceries. My sister is doing the same thing. So we haven’t started our clocks over as much as we know the precautions each other is taking. 

We started our 14-day clocks from the last time we were out in public without doing all of that. We’re on a stay at home order in NY, but moreover we just wanted to be as safe as possible with seeing each other. 
  • Damn @climbingwife I really hope they’re all right!!
  • Oh and we started Tiger King. We just finished episode and basically everyone is terrible, but “Doc” Antle is the worst. 

• Oh and we started Tiger King. We just finished episode and basically everyone is terrible, but “Doc” Antle is the worst. 

Every episode just gets crazier!
  • We are still OK.
    As far as groceries go, I am treating it as though there's still potential if you go even if you get a 2 week supply.   I'm needing to evaluate our supply and figure out if I can make it til I could get an instacart delivery or if DH should make a run instead.   

So far I know someone who knows someone (like here on TK) and luckily have not seen people I know report that they have it.   That said, I know several nurses working on the front lines and know that they are going to be high risk for exposure - especially those working in cities in the red here in CT. 

Things we're trying to do:
    -Every day is new.   I work up working HARD to keep my voice down and not lose my patience.   My kids don't need to know that coronavirus is when we stayed healthy and mom lost her shit.    
    -If the weather improves Chiquita and I may go for a walk around the block.   We live in the woods basically so the idea of getting out is still OK since the possibility of human contact is low. 
    -Friday we'll probably have a family Zoom w/ DH's extended family again.   All the faces took 2 screens!  Several family members live in hot zones in state including his 95 yo grandmother.   This allows us to see and send love without putting her at risk for anything.
    -Sunday we had 'mass in the living room'.   Chiquita is a server and next Sunday I May ask her to light some candles so this feels a bit more like what she'd do.   
    -I ordered candy from a local candy maker and have ordered plastic eggs.   We'll plan to do an Easter egg hunt at home as all the big ones were cancelled. 
    -I ordered painting tape, paint and brushes.   I'll plan to tape off our sliding glass door and turn it into a DIY stained glass window.   It's a kid's art project, part of faith and a way to be together. 

I also love John Krasinski and love him even more today.   If you haven't seen his video from last night then watch it.   It's the kind of thing that we need more of. 
  • OH Tiger King is full of trash people.  Definitely a trainwreck and I get why it's not for everyone.  I do think the documentary did a good job of showing how none of these 'zoo' keepers are good.  Some are downright evil. 

The weekend was pretty good. DH and I watched the first two episodes of Ozark on Friday.  

Saturday was DefConn's bday.  It was muggy and rainy, but having the house open was nice.  We did a lot of cleaning. DefConn got to do pretty much what he wanted.  I had to run to do an errand for my parents.  We video chatted DefConn's candle blow-out and present opening.  

Sunday, we smoked a turkey and did a whole thanksgiving-ish meal for dinner.  It was delicious.  I did a ton of cross-stitching.  I'm learning a lot and it's fun.  Kind of calming too since it's repetitive, but takes focus. 
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2020
    I was just going to ask about groceries.  We are running low on a few things - nothing serious.  I totally think I could easily go another two weeks without new food coming in, but it'll be essentially rice, oatmeal, and meats (I've still got so much meat - it's one of those food I hoard when there isn't a quarantine going on).  However, hubby's anxiety is amping up right now, and not only has he convinced himself we don't have food right now (we do), but he wants to buy two months worth.  Except he doesn't want to go out to the stores ... so I'm trying to find options to calm him down without overreacting and buying way too much.  So on the weekend, I tried online grocery shopping for the first time from Walmart, spent two hours figuring it out and getting everything in a cart, only to find out that they DON'T deliver to my house (I could not be more centrally located in my city) and also have NO pick-up times available.  

So ... what are other people doing?  Have you tried pick-up?  If so, what does that look like?  And if not, how bad would grocery shopping be right now?  And keep in mind, I'm nor worried for myself, because I work from home, haven't gone out in two weeks, and plan to take precautions when I'm there and with my groceries when I come back.  But .... hubby will assume the worst, so I feel like I need to weigh all the option and figure this one out.

*edited for word fails

• Just another manic Monday here. We finished the garage over the weekend and did another grocery run, so we're now all settled in and stocked up. I started putting things away Saturday and realized that we really need to eat some of the stuff in the fridge before we get to the pantry/freezer. I think we're good for 3 weeks at this point. I also ordered another case of wine.

We did a virtual meet up with some of my extended family yesterday. My grandma has been sick; everyone really wants to visit her, but are trying to be safe about it. It was good to get everyone together. I think I'm going to set them up weekly for the duration of this. 

I'm hoping for a busy week at work. The last two weeks have been a lot of uncertainty and changing priorities/projects. Tomorrow we start our normal quarter end reporting. I'm looking forward to spending a couple of days just sucked into the details of the work rather than making decisions or worrying about the future. 
  • @kerbohl some places use instacart.   If that's what you tried I'm not sure what else is available.   Our local grocery store uses a service called PeaPod and you can buy your groceries and have them delivered as well.   I checked yesterday and they are sold out for the next two weeks.   Grocery stores that DID offer in store pick up stopped that two weeks ago because they cannot keep up with the demands of stocking and shopping orders.  

Right now I think the best option that DH and I have is going to the local Costco an hour before it closes.   
  • @charlotte989875 That bread looks delicious!  

I know nothing of this "instacart" ... so googling I will go!  I know our local Zehrs is doing pick-up still through their site, but have no slots available until this weekend.  Which, is actually pretty good, and I wouldn't mind doing that.

We have a non-Costco wholesaler near us that usually only restaurant owners know about and use.  I'm thinking of going there.  It can't be as busy as the grocery store and we can buy some things in bulk. 

• @Casadena, I *hate* the 'ganging' up complaint from parents when you call them on their shit or are frustrated with their choices (being breaking quarantine or lack of communication).  Especially when everyone's stress level is high because of a pandemic or some other important/emergent situation.  I hope they listen and don't double down on their fuckery.  Ugh. 
  • kerbohl said:
    I was just going to ask about groceries.  We are running low on a few things - nothing serious.  I totally think I could easily go another two weeks without new food coming in, but it'll be essentially rice, oatmeal, and meats (I've still got so much meat - it's one of those food I hoard when there isn't a quarantine going on).  However, hubby's anxiety is amping up right now, and not only has he convinced himself we don't have food right now (we do), but he wants to buy two months worth.  Except he doesn't want to go out to the stores ... so I'm trying to find options to calm him down without overreacting and buying way too much.  So on the weekend, I tried online grocery shopping for the first time from Walmart, spent two hours figuring it out and getting everything in a cart, only to find out that they DON'T deliver to my house (I could not be more centrally located in my city) and also have NO pick-up times available.  

So ... what are other people doing?  Have you tried pick-up?  If so, what does that look like?  And if not, how bad would grocery shopping be right now?  And keep in mind, I'm nor worried for myself, because I work from home, haven't gone out in two weeks, and plan to take precautions when I'm there and with my groceries when I come back.  But .... hubby will assume the worst, so I feel like I need to weigh all the option and figure this one out.

*edited for word fails
    This is where we are. We both WFH and aren't going anywhere except the grocery. We're trying to only shop every 2 weeks to limit potentially exposing anyone else. We're one at a time, don't touch anything or invade anyone's space, get in and out as quickly as possible. 

Instacart and Shipt are our delivery options. Last week I was able to get a delivery slot 2-3 days out, but I hear it varies wildly depending on where you are. The issue with delivery is that a shopper doesn't always make the substitutions that you would think/want, so you have to be on the app while they're shopping to see what's out and try to click all the acceptable subs. I haven't used pickup, but I hear it's the same thing with shopping, but then you just pull up and someone loads the bags into your trunk, so minimal contact. 
  • Casadena said:
    I thought I would hate Tiger King a lot, but H started it while i was napping yesterday and now I'm hooked.  They are all garbage people, but I kind of want to slap the smug look off Carole's face that she has all the time.  Also, what's the difference between what Carole does and Joe/Doc/etc?  They're keeping exotic animals and profiting off ppl visiting.  Plus Carole doesn't pay anyone.  Plus she totally killed her former husband. 

IL update:
    H sent a message to his mom Saturday morning outlining why we were upset with her (breaking quarantine, disregarding shelter-in-place rules, lying to us about it).  She responded to H and his siblings (not included on the message) with a half ass apology mostly for "upsetting us" and "feeling like we were lied to" but not apologizing for what actually happened.  H responded pretty strongly that lying to us was not acceptable and please take this seriously.  Then FIL got mad that we were "ganging up" on MIL and called a family conference call to discuss (insert eye-roll).  It was fucking ridiculous and I went off a little bit on both of them.  I've never done that before. . So we'll see what happens, but I think she's finally getting that we're mad and won't tolerate being lied to especially in a literal life or death situation.  

Hoping the sun stays out a little this afternoon so we can go for a walk!  It was so windy and rainy all weekend we haven't left the house since Thursday.  

@ei34 I'm so sorry for your losses

Hope everyone is staying safe.  
    The good news in some of this is (or the news) is that adults who aren't taking this seriously are also seeing that their grown adult children are now telling them how their actions have consequences. 

I'm so with you there.   You don't "Feel like you were lied to."  Your MIL told you something that wasn't the truth.   That means that your feelings are based on the FACT that she wasn't truthful.   They are putting themselves and others at risk.   

FWIW, MIL said that FIL has gone out a few times to the grocery store.   And while I get that they need to eat I also think that FIL hasn't met a person he doesn't want to talk to, he doesn't know how to keep a 6 foot distance and he gets out because uses the store as a reason to not leave because he's stir crazy.   I think they thought that they were going to be the helpful grandparents to DH and me while the kids had no school and that's just not a risk I think is advised right now.  Part of me is also chapped at how FIL spoke to me 2 weeks ago - something I know isn't going to change and that I have to get over.   And the other part is telling me that I'm not going to be able to change FIL at all - so I have to be the mama bear and work with DH to protect our family.   I point blank asked him Saturday, "If I wasn't in the picture and you were making these decisions for you and the kids, what would you decide?"   And while he thinks I may be slightly more panicked about this he also didn't say he'd do a lot that's different.  
  • Instacart workers are going on strike today, so try and support them if you can and don't use Instacart.  They are a gig service and treated as such, while Instacart corporate sits in safe offices.

My pickup at Walmart is limited to 2 days now and it seems to fill up fast, but I've always been able to get in, just maybe not the time I want.  IDK about any other stores.  I have noticed when I go into the grocery store, it's really not that busy.  People are definitely exercising other options.
  • My H has been running out for groceries once a week. He wears gloves and a mask, and keeps a distance. He's going to the stores late morning during the week, and has said it hasn't been too bad. 

Instacart is not even offering any kind of delivery window, for all stores. 
  • I've still been going to the store.  I try to make it infrequent, quick, only touch things I'm buying, and maintain distance from other people.  I also utilize self checkout as much as possible to limit the amount of interaction I have with people and other people touching the stuff I'm taking home.  When I get home, I wash up as soon as I'm in the door and then once I put things away. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    @Casadena, I *hate* the 'ganging' up complaint from parents when you call them on their shit or are frustrated with their choices (being breaking quarantine or lack of communication).  Especially when everyone's stress level is high because of a pandemic or some other important/emergent situation.  I hope they listen and don't double down on their fuckery.  Ugh. 
    It's ridiculous.  H's family communication is terrible, so any type of "push back" or disagreement does NOT go over well.  Which is why he and his sibling generally take an eye roll approach to most annoying things they do.  This is not harmless and they're not handling being called out on it.  I still don't think MIL thinks she did anything wrong.  So irritating. 

I haven't been out for groceries in almost 2 weeks (since before SIP orders).  We have plenty of canned/frozen/dry goods but running a little low on fresh fruit and veggies.  It's not dire yet and I wont' go to the store until we have no more meals we can make.  Instacart and PeaPod are the only delivery services I know of around here at least!

• Casadena said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    @Casadena, I *hate* the 'ganging' up complaint from parents when you call them on their shit or are frustrated with their choices (being breaking quarantine or lack of communication).  Especially when everyone's stress level is high because of a pandemic or some other important/emergent situation.  I hope they listen and don't double down on their fuckery.  Ugh. 
    It's ridiculous.  H's family communication is terrible, so any type of "push back" or disagreement does NOT go over well.  Which is why he and his sibling generally take an eye roll approach to most annoying things they do.  This is not harmless and they're not handling being called out on it.  I still don't think MIL thinks she did anything wrong.  So irritating. 

I haven't been out for groceries in almost 2 weeks (since before SIP orders).  We have plenty of canned/frozen/dry goods but running a little low on fresh fruit and veggies.  It's not dire yet and I wont' go to the store until we have no more meals we can make.  Instacart and PeaPod are the only delivery services I know of around here at least!

Yeah - it's one thing to be annoying about how to handle Christmas but it's a different story when you make an active choice to ignore doctors, government mandates and decide that the rules enacted to not apply to you.   

OK - those are you choices.   Your choices have consequences.   She's a mom and is telling her kids what she has done or not done to protect herself.   You have a household to protect too.   And the consequences of her actions mean that you are protecting yourself and the two other people (including an infant!!) who can be affected by her choices.   

Sounds like MIL and FIL get to have a Zoom relationship with you guys.   
  • Yeah I try to go grocery shopping every 2 weeks.  They kinda make it where the only option around here IS to get out and go.  I can never get Walmart pick up and the one time I got instacart everything was being replaced and substituted.  I went to a small chain last night and not a lot of people were out, shelves were FINE (minus t.p) plus my discover has 5% off grocery stores Plus a 5% first year match so I kinda wanted to take advantage of that.  Im not sure instacart categories that as groceries? 

I also heard amazon workers were going to strike?  Any news on that?

• Not much from the weekend. We're working on BabyKitten getting off bottles, and for the most part it's going well. Last night she lost her mind and just screamed so hard she hyperventilated. Calmed, and went right to sleep.

I'm kinda glad we're WFH because it means we can stay in bed longer, which is good when BabyKitten has a hard time sleeping. Tbh I don't think she'd go down any easier with bottle, so I'm not missing much.

Daycare is closed because she has a cold still and just doesn't wanna risk anything.
    Her daughter lives/works in Dubai right now and in quarantine due to exposure. They're waiting on results back to see if her family needs to quarantine. Apparently there's like a minimum of 80 deaths there, but the news doesn't talk about there much :\ Our daycare is worried :( 

Wfh sucks in general. I miss my coworkers.