Wedding Woes

No one ever, EVER corrected your mistakes in 3 years?

Dear Prudence,

I have been with my current job for three years. In August, upper management shuffled teams around, and I was given a new supervisor. We clashed immediately because she felt that my work wasn’t up to snuff. I was frustrated because my former supervisor had never complained about my work, and I was feeling micromanaged. I recently had my employee review, and my former supervisor said that my work had always been full of errors—that I had never done it correctly. Apparently, he would quietly correct my mistakes and not tell me. I have been doing my job incorrectly for the past three years.

I am incredibly embarrassed by this and worry his inaction has ruined my career at this company, as I’m caught in an endless cycle of catch-up. I’m putting in extra hours on evenings and weekends to get my work done as thoroughly and as error-free as possible. I feel like I can’t advance, and I’m dangerously close to burnout. Should I confront him about this? I feel that his inaction has derailed my career at this company. I don’t want to rock the boat, but I also don’t want this to happen to anyone else

—Torpedoed by Management

Re: No one ever, EVER corrected your mistakes in 3 years?

• You know, I want to say this is really odd, but we have an entire group of employees here who's work is absolute bullshit.  I complain frequently because (TL; DR version) I often end up with their bullshit work files.  The attorneys also complain.  And nothing is done about it because of weak and uncaring management and crap attitudes on behalf of those employees.

Since LW does seem interested in improving, I think take it to heart that LW does obviously offer something to the team that the company is interested in keeping or LW would've been let go long ago.  Hold onto that, while asking for coaching and take their coachings to heart and work to improve your work.  The end result should be that you are doing your work more correctly, b/c you are being trained.  If there's something you don't understand, make sure to ask more questions.

• Confronting your old boss will not accomplish anything other than making you look angry, pushy, and defensive and maybe further hampering your advancement at this company. I know it's difficult, but I think you need to let the past be in the past on this. 

Shift your focus now to improving your work with your new boss. If, after some time passes, you've improved but still think you can't advance at that company, start looking for another job. 
  • That former supervisor should be fired. How do you not tell someone for 3 years that they're doing their work incorrectly!?!?
  • That former supervisor should be fired. How do you not tell someone for 3 years that they're doing their work incorrectly!?!?
    The only thing I can think of is that the former supervisor was crappy.   And now there's a NEW supervisor brought in specifically to evaluate what the old supervisor did.   And eventually they're going to fire the old one because he did a bad job and never actually wanted to come down on his subordinates so he just fixed their errors and didn't actually manage. 
  • banana468 said:
    That former supervisor should be fired. How do you not tell someone for 3 years that they're doing their work incorrectly!?!?
    The only thing I can think of is that the former supervisor was crappy.   And now there's a NEW supervisor brought in specifically to evaluate what the old supervisor did.   And eventually they're going to fire the old one because he did a bad job and never actually wanted to come down on his subordinates so he just fixed their errors and didn't actually manage. 
    This is my guess too! 

That old manager was really good at doing the work but really bad at actually managing people (which let’s be honest happens ALL the time). And now upper management has realized this changed out managers to  actually develop/see what the folks know.