Wedding Woes

Marriage License in COVID-19 Era

Hi, I'm supposed to get married 6/6/20, which I have concluded will most likely not be happening. We really like the spring (and the venue is all booked for the rest of 2020 anyways) so are going to end up having to push our wedding to June 2021. I would really like to get legally married on our original date (since we've already been engaged for 1.5 years) with just two witnesses, however, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a marriage license with court houses being closed due to COVID-19.... Has anyone heard anything regarding exceptions or if marriage licenses will be able to be obtained in other ways other than in person? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!!

Re: Marriage License in COVID-19 Era

• maine7mobmaine7mob member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    Some places are not issuing any licenses during the quarantine. It will depend on your town, but I know a couple here in Maine who were able to make an appointment to get their license over the phone, went to the town office (very small town), and got it. They married 2 days later with only their officiant and two witnesses (all standing far apart).

But if your actual wedding date is in 2021, you're probably fine and can wait until next spring to get your license. They are only good for 90 days, so if you got it now and didn't marry within the 90 days, you'd need to get a new one for your 2021 wedding.

• This is going to really depend on the state and county where you are.   Many courthouses aren't issuing marriage licences now and they probably won't speculate what June looks like yet.   If I were you I wouldn't even think about trying to see what they're doing until mid May at the earliest because the only thing consistent right now is change. 
  • It really depends on where you are. I know that the counties in my state are still issuing marriage licenses by mail, but judges are not doing JOP weddings, and finding a private officiant who is willing to risk exposure for a small fee is tough. A lot of places are much more serious about their shelter in place, so even the license is not an option. Even still, that's in April. No one knows what this will look like 30 days from now much less in June. 
  • Here in MD, the courthouses are closed until May 1st.  I would suggest contacting your county courthouse to see what their process is going forward.
  • Check your local courthouse. I'm in Philadelphia and they're offering the option of getting an online license right now but only for a Quaker ceremony in which the couple marries themselves, as they don't want you to gather even just with an officiant.