Wedding Woes
Options

Tuesday, the 21st

Days are blending together so bad this week!  I just had to double check its Tuesday.

My friends and I are going to do another Saturday virtual happy hour.  I think we are going to do Pictionary this time.

Not much today.  DD was up so early yesterday and ended up the second half of the day was really bad.  I'm hoping today is a little better.  I'm keeping my eye on her because she just seems a little off.

We are supposed to get bad thunderstorms today.  I hope they aren't too bad overall.

Re: Tuesday, the 21st

• Options
    I am frustrated with FIL.   He's an old school Republican and borderline Libertarian.   A month ago when this started he expressed frustration that school lunches would be available including the free lunches.   His thought was actually that should we need to cut things off financially that there were too many people milking the system and therefore it was time on 2 days notice to stop feeding kids.   You know - the kids who are the peers of his grandchildren in the town school system. 

Then he posted this C&P last night:
    "When the state tells you it's safe to go to Home Depot to buy a sponge but dangerous to go and by a flower, it's not about your health.  
    When the state shuts down millions of private businesses but doesn't lay off a single government employee it's not about your health.
    When the State bans dentists because it isn't safe but deems abortion visit is safe, it's not about your health.
    When the State prevents you from buying cucumber seeds because it's dangerous, but allows in-person lottery ticket sales, it's not about your health. 
    When the State tells you it's dangerous to golf alone, fish alone, or be in a motor boat alone, but the Governor can get his stage makeup done, and hair done for 5 TV appearances a week, it's not about your health.
    WAKE UP PEOPLE - THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH

Copy and pasted.  I take no credit but agree 100%."

I asked DH to address it and he thought about it but asked that I let it go. 

He doesn't want to have conflict with his dad.   I get it.   I don't want conflict with his dad either.   But if his dad continues to exercise this kind of judgement, I won't have contact with him either. 
  • Options
    I can’t stand that either @banana468 and would have a hard time letting it go, too. I get people are frustrated and scared of businesses being closed (if that’s really what is happening but pretty sure it isn’t) but I also don’t want to die. Hospitalizations are still rising in my city. 

It’s Tuesday. Work is busy, and people are not on the same page with time sensitive requests and it’s driving me insane. If you want my team to run new models, great we can do that. But do we need to have 17 email threads about what economic scenario we’re using for it and why doesn’t anyone know what the right one is?! 

Ready for the weekend and it’s only Tuesday (I think). 
  • Options
    Banana - I saw that one posted on a friend's page too. It is so short sighted and dumb.  

This same friend of mine was whining about wearing a mask.  I can't wait until everyone who has been protesting in their state capitals the last week get sick.  KY has already seen an uptick since their protest.  I'm also sure that the people who live in more rural areas that came for the protests have brought it back and will make it more prominent there.
  • Options
    I think it's Tuesday.  I couldn't get in to work through the VPN this morning.  So, of course, I tried several times and then was locked out.  I called the help desk and go through quickly but the person on the other end was having trouble with their computer so they had to enter a ticket for someone else to call me back.  35 mins later I was able to log on.  I could not sleep last night so I'm sure I enter something wrong the first time and then I was locked out.  Yawn.

DH is on my last nerve.  He's not really doing anything in particular but he's just.here.all.the.time.  I'm thankful I'm working in a separate room, but I just need to get out alone.  Groceries, Walmart, walk - I need to come up with something.  I'm sure I'm driving him crazy too. 

Otherwise, SSDD.  I do have a Zoom meeting tonight with a group I volunteer with so that's something to look forward to.   
  • Options
    I am beside myself today. Our idiot governor has decided to reopen salons, bowling alleys, and theaters this week. This is not even remotely safe, even though we are not the worst impacted state. (Although we're something like 12th and rank 45th in testing, so we're probably closer to the top than we think.) This playing with people's lives as a political game is just unconscionable. Georgia is pretty much broke and was realistically probably going to run out of money before the pandemic. I get that we're probably going bankrupt, but throwing the most vulnerable to the wolves is not how we save ourselves. 

That's my whole day. I can't concentrate on work, I'm struggling with anything else. I'm just thinking about how many people will unnecessarily get sick and how many will die because these selfish assholes are putting economics ahead of human life. 
  • Options
    I am beside myself today. Our idiot governor has decided to reopen salons, bowling alleys, and theaters this week. This is not even remotely safe, even though we are not the worst impacted state. (Although we're something like 12th and rank 45th in testing, so we're probably closer to the top than we think.) This playing with people's lives as a political game is just unconscionable. Georgia is pretty much broke and was realistically probably going to run out of money before the pandemic. I get that we're probably going bankrupt, but throwing the most vulnerable to the wolves is not how we save ourselves. 

That's my whole day. I can't concentrate on work, I'm struggling with anything else. I'm just thinking about how many people will unnecessarily get sick and how many will die because these selfish assholes are putting economics ahead of human life. 
    Bowling alleys?  I mean, apparently people are getting desperate for hair cuts (which I am not quite understanding), and personally I think everyone can wait to see movies until this is over, but bowling alleys?  I would think they would be way, way down the list.  Is this something people were protesting to see open again?  How is them being open a huge need?  

Everything in my province is still shut down, and will be I believe until mid-May.  And I'm awesome with that - I know a lot of small businesses are suffering, but it seems to be working to slow the spread.  Time will tell, though.  

It's really windy and cold here today!  I wish it would stop snowing.  I know it's not sticking to the ground, but it just looks miserable out.  I'd like to hole up inside, but puppy is eager to get out.  There is an unpleasant walk in my future today.

• Options
    @banana468, I've seen that shit too and it is so obnoxious. Sorry you're dealing with that!

I get scared too here in Houston. Technically Texas is supposed to open on April 30, but I'm positive that Mayor Turner and Harris County Judge Lena Hidalgo will extend the shelter-in-place order indefinitely beyond that, and I'm positive we need it because Houston is a hot spot for Covid-19. I know people want to go out, but if they do it could be so dangerous.

Congratulations to your husband @missJeanLouise!

I've settled into a routine working from home, online games of mahjongg with my mom, and Zoom and Facebook Live meetings of various kinds.  Not that things are good, but for me it's not too bad and I keep reminding myself it could be so much worse...
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    Omg the bowling alley thing! Is that REALLY so important?  I will say I could use some hair care. And would have said nails but just bought some gel moments to do it at home so I’m hoping it works as well as reviews say. 
    Just catching up and not sure if this was posted today or yesterday but congrats to your sister @mrsconn23!
    @short+sassy that one year is bogus.  Air canada gave me a refund credit for 2 and United just for 1 year too.  Both flights were going to Canada.  I’ll take it, I’m sure my cousin will get married within the year and I will visit anyway - but I have family there and you don’t in what was it? Spain?

I had a grocery store run to do on Sunday but didn’t feel like going out.  Walmart pickup had a slot open for the first time since March 13th but not till Friday.  So I went to my local place jewel, which seems pretty on point with how walmart does it.  Plus my chase 5% category is for groceries. 

Friday and Saturday I stayed up past 1 playing jackbox tv with one of my friends.  A real blast and Inbetween those days I killed my costco sized vodka.  Like @“short+sassy" I want to avoid Costco for a bit, so I either switch to rum, which I have in house, or go to a store before Friday. My jewel pick up didn't allow alcohol on it.  I tried!  Lol

• Options
    @short+sassy I got a two year refund credit from Air Transat ... maybe mention that you are hearing from other people that their competitors are giving two year credits and you want to know why they aren't being as accommodating as the other airlines.  Maybe that will light a fire under them!  

• Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    @kerbohl, I have literally no idea why bowling alleys. I haven't set foot in a bowling alley in at least 15 years, and nothing bad has happened. I have absolutely no clue why it was flagged to open. I misspoke about theaters, they won't open until Monday. The salon/spa thing bothers me even more. I understand that people want haircuts, but that requires someone to be in your personal space. There's no way to do that safely. 
  • Options
    Omg the bowling alley thing! Is that REALLY so important?  I will say I could use some hair care. And would have said nails but just bought some gel moments to do it at home so I’m hoping it works as well as reviews say. 
    Just catching up and not sure if this was posted today or yesterday but congrats to your sister @mrsconn23!
    @short+sassy that one year is bogus.  Air canada gave me a refund credit for 2 and United just for 1 year too.  Both flights were going to Canada.  I’ll take it, I’m sure my cousin will get married within the year and I will visit anyway - but I have family there and you don’t in what was it? Spain?

I had a grocery store run to do on Sunday but didn’t feel like going out.  Walmart pickup had a slot open for the first time since March 13th but not till Friday.  So I went to my local place jewel, which seems pretty on point with how walmart does it.  Plus my chase 5% category is for groceries. 

Friday and Saturday I stayed up past 1 playing jackbox tv with one of my friends.  A real blast and Inbetween those days I killed my costco sized vodka.  Like @“short+sassy" I want to avoid Costco for a bit, so I either switch to rum, which I have in house, or go to a store before Friday. My jewel pick up didn't allow alcohol on it.  I tried!  Lol
    Rumor has it that out here in the Chicago ‘burbs, Costco is killing it with protocols!  Everyone I have spoken with said Costco is the safest place to shop in terms of cleaning, distancing, staff protections, etc.  Since DD and family are temporarily living with us, SIL has been the “point man” for most of the shopping. 
    We have a few “speakeasy” hair stylists in the area working from home.  SIL typically goes to one regularly.  She has the full “one chair” shop in her lower level of her home.  She will still see clients if they follow protocols and she does as well.  He has not gone as of yet, but the temptation is real.  
    We had to cancel our flight to see GD#3 in May.  AA gave us a credit that extends until December, 2021.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2020
    I went to Costco on Saturday and they had a line of the side of the building and were counting how many people were let in at a time.  They kept the lines moving in and out of the store.  Also they were well-stocked except for TP, but I didn't really look for it. I just didn't see any of their kirkland brand (which is what I prefer). 

Oh and I wear a mask all the time when running to stores. 
  • Options
    This week is suppose to be our peak {might be a mix of last week also - idk} so mid-May we may know if they can ease social distancing a bit.

As much as I'd love to go back to the office, right now all I care about is seeing family :( 

Wah wah wah. Me me me.
    /pity party
  • Options
    DH did the Costco run yesterday and he's been going right before they close.   The fallout means that while he had plenty of produce, we have no eggs.   We'll have to see what other means we have of getting them but luckily there are plenty of other options for protein.  I think CT is peaking but I think our county will peak later. 
  • Options
    @CharmedPam, yep, my Air France flight is to Barcelona, Spain because that is where my cruise embarks from.  Though the credit could also be used for Delta or KLM flights, it doesn't specifically have to be Air France.  I don't know who KLM is, but it seems it is there customer service I need to call (still haven't done that yet).  Still, though.  Thanks to you, @kerbohl, and @OliveOilsMom (yesterday) giving me more ammo that they are apparently not as "generous" as they think they are.

@banana468, it's pretty easy to poke holes for just about every item on your FIL's list (sigh).  But I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Okay, I can't help poking a couple snarky holes.  Who goes to Home Depot and only buys sponges?  And, while they're there, they CAN buy cucumber seeds from one of the other items on the "list", lol.

@mrsconn23, I'm glad there's finally been some good news to look forward to in your family!

@missJeanLouise, good luck to your H on his first day.  Yay!

I've been so proud of my fellow New Orleanians for "keeping it safe".  No protests.  Staying at home.  And now my pride is dashed, smh.  I went to Home Depot on Sat. to pick up my washer.  Traffic levels for a Sat. seemed almost back to normal.  Okay.  Maybe that was just bad timing on my part and, really, it's usually better like it has been.

But at lunch today, I went to pick up my Sam's Club order.  Same thing.  Less traffic for a mid weekday, but not by that much.  I get to the store and there is a line to enter, in order to control the number of people in the store.  Great!  Except almost no one in line was following social distancing, smh.  Not to get in or out.  They were normal looking lines with only the distance of people's carts between them.  Though most people were at least wearing masks.

Other than that, my pickup went really well!  It was the first time I'd done that with Sam's Club.  Four of my items were sold out, but I knew that before I went.  Everything in my cart was correct.  The gallon of milk I bought doesn't expire until May 7th, lol.  I always worry about sell by dates when I'm not picking things myself.

So much faster.  And safer.  I'm loving the pickup option!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I spoke w/ DH - well, we messaged each other while working from separate floors.

And while he's not going to do some long drawn out FB response to his dad, he will talk to him because while there can be merits about possible governmental overreach, he's not making an argument for the overreach when his argument is that it's not about a health issue that is CLEARLY happening.   And I did say to DH: If I question your judgement I'm not going to trust you with my kids.   
  • Options
    @short+sassy KLM is a dutch airline. Still part of the Delta/AirFrance group.

I flew them home from Europe a few years ago. I'd pick the flight serviced by Delta or AirFrance if you can. My experience was not good. Probably a non-issue unless you're going through Northern Europe, though. 
  • Options
    Sometimes the Dutch king pilots the KLM flights.  He has his pilot license and likes to serve the Dutch people by flying them places sometimes.  That's one perk that makes me want to fly with them just on the very small chance I get on one of those rare flights, but I've never flown KLM. Usually their flights are pretty expensive compared to other airlines.  

• Options
    kerbohl said:
    Sometimes the Dutch king pilots the KLM flights.  He has his pilot license and likes to serve the Dutch people by flying them places sometimes.  That's one perk that makes me want to fly with them just on the very small chance I get on one of those rare flights, but I've never flown KLM. Usually their flights are pretty expensive compared to other airlines.  
    I realize a totally different type of celebrity, but Jimmy Buffet owns (or partially owns) a restaurant in the French Quarter called "Margaritaville".  He's been known to make impromptu visits and sing a few songs, whenever he's in town.

I don't go there very often but, when I do, I'm always hopeful that I just so happen to have the right timing and catch him performing, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kerbohl said:
    I realize a totally different type of celebrity, but Jimmy Buffet owns (or partially owns) a restaurant in the French Quarter called "Margaritaville".  He's been known to make impromptu visits and sing a few songs, whenever he's in town.

I don't go there very often but, when I do, I'm always hopeful that I just so happen to have the right timing and catch him performing, lol.
    Jimmy will do that at all of his places!  I was so close to seeing him at his Key West Margaritaville!  I had just arrived in Key West for a short solo vacation.  I was walking down Duval, with my goal of eating at Margaritaville. Afterall, my vacation was a Jimmy pilgrimage of sorts!  As I was approaching, there was a rope preventing people from walking in, though they were open.  I wasn't about to deal with that, so I ate elsewhere.  The next day, I was doing a group bar crawl and the tour guide told us that Jimmy was in town and he performed at Margaritaville the night before!  Apparently, they usually block it off, when he is planning to perform.  Sigh....

Also - I forgot to mention that Aer Lingus was also allowing complete refunds.  And this was if you voluntarily cancelled your flight too.  You had the choice between a complete refund or voucher.