Wedding Woes

Even though the job is 'amazing', is it worth this?

Dear Prudence,

About two years ago, after years of abuse, I decided to cut my father out of my life. It was the right decision, and I’m very happy with the results. However, I recently decided to move back to my hometown because I got an incredible job there working in the arts. I’ve reconnected with old friends, and I’m really excited to build my life here again and reclaim the city for myself. My new job involves fundraising and event-planning in some of my stepmother’s professional and social circles. She’s my father’s third wife and a very well-to-do schmoozer and networker. I may presumably have to raise funds from people she knows.

My worst anxieties have me thinking about two terrible scenarios: one where someone I’m working with recognizes my last name and asks me about my father or his wife, and one where they’re actually involved in an event I’m hosting.  Every time someone mentions my father to me, I struggle to keep calm. And when I’ve been in situations where I’ve accidentally ended up in the same room as him post-estrangement, I’ve had full-on panic attacks. My city is big, but not that big, and I’m sure it’ll come up eventually. Should I lie and say there’s no relation? Should I say he’s my uncle? Should I just be frank? I don’t want to air my dirty laundry in a professional setting, but I struggle to think straight when it comes to my manipulative father and his equally frustrating wife.

—Struggling Already

Re: Even though the job is 'amazing', is it worth this?

• mrsconn23 said:
    It sounds like LW knew what this job entailed before they took it, so...I'm not understanding why they accepted it if they knew they'd  possibly (likely?) be in contact with someone that has and can cause them so much pain?  I mean, I don't think it's THE reason LW shouldn't have taken the job.  However their letter makes it sound like maybe it was the most thought through decision and now they feel trapped.  
    RIGHT?! 

If you move back to your hometown why do you think your circles won't possibly overlap?  It sounds like LW didn't think this through OR LW is secretly wanting conflict.
  • I don't see how a job can be "incredible" when it risks you coming back in contact with an abuser that you consciously cut out of your life. I'm just sayin'. 
  • mrsconn23 said:

I really appreciate the quote of “trauma isn’t our fault but healing is our responsibility”. LW is not responsible for their fathers abuse, but if they want to continue this career they need to find a way address the trauma. 
    YES.  This!  LW needs to figure out if they are biting off more than they can chew even if it is this great job/opportunity or if they can work through the situation. 

I also love the quote, "Worry is like a rocking chair.  It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere."  LW needs to stop living in anxiety of what might happen and play out what they will do/how they will react when things DO come up. 
    I use that with Chiquita now! 
  • If the LW doesn't want to leave their job and hometown...and I can understand why they don't, because it sounds like it's great situation for them overall...then the best thing for them to do is navigate and be prepared for when these things come up.  Speaking to a therapist seems like it would be really helpful with that.  I also like @banana468's line of "We are related but are not in contact."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the LW doesn't want to leave their job and hometown...and I can understand why they don't, because it sounds like it's great situation for them overall...then the best thing for them to do is navigate and be prepared for when these things come up.  Speaking to a therapist seems like it would be really helpful with that.  I also like @banana468's line of "We are related but are not in contact."
    My mom's younger sister passed nearly 40 years ago.   She was such a spitfire (like, went to Woodstock and my grandparents found out when she came home from that 3 day weekend spitfire).  She was 18 mo younger than my mom and when they were in HS the nun asked, "So Eleanor McSerious, that's not a common last name.   I have a Mildred McSerious (my mom) in my 10 AM class."  Without skipping a beat my aunt allegedly answered, "I'd like to meet her." 

It was a bold-faced lie.   But she navigated around the "don't compare me to my family" line. 
  • Time for LW to get into the office of someone who can help her navigate this stuff without going into a panic attack.  Whether that's a Therapist, Life Coach, etc. it's time to address what needs to be addressed.