Wedding Woes

Meg sounds moochy and manipulative

Dear Prudence,

Our parents are pretty old-fashioned and saved money for the future weddings of both their daughters. My wedding was called off when I learned my would-be husband had impregnated two different women. This was years ago. My sister is now engaged to “Meg,” whom I’ve never liked, because she’s always asking people to “spot” her for food, drinks, tickets, etc, and then forgetting to repay them. But she makes my sister happy, so I tried to be happy for them. They were supposed to be married in March, but that obviously didn’t happen because of the pandemic. They have had trouble getting their deposits back since several of the businesses went under, including the venue. Our parents are tapped out of money, and I know they feel awful about it. Meg—not my sister—approached me about my old wedding funds. She said the money must be “tainted” for me and was a sign that I was clinging to the past and unable to move on, that it would be a blessing to make my sister happy by giving it to them, and that I owed it to her because I treated her badly when she came out as a teenager. I admit that I was horrible to my sister when we were in high school. I lashed out at her and considered her sexuality an “easy target.” Once I grew up, I apologized to my sister, and she forgave me. I thought we had moved on. I told Meg I needed time to think.

I am terrified of saying the wrong thing and giving Meg ammunition against me. My sister loves her. I don’t want to even tell my parents because I know they will be upset on my behalf, and I don’t want to alienate my sister. But this conversation with Meg just sent up so many red flags. What do I do? Just pretend it never happened? Offer a few thousand as a bribe?

—Shaky Sister Support

Re: Meg sounds moochy and manipulative

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2020
    yeah, LW, there’s no chance of you getting married now (or maybe making a deal with your parents to use it for something else), so you should just give it to your sister and snotty future wife. Eta words

• This rubs me all kinds of the wrong way.

That Meg is asking this and not the sister though makes me feel really squidgy and makes me think that if Meg was an ice cream flavor it would be pralines and ass.  

• “Sis, Meg asked me to give you guys the money mom and dad saved for my wedding and said I owed it to you because I’ll never get married and I was mean in high school. Obviously I am not doing that. Her approaching me was incredibly inappropriate and I thought you should know. I won’t be discussing money with her again.”
    I like this.   It'll potentially create a rift in the relationship but puts all cards on the table. 
  • banana468 said:
    “Sis, Meg asked me to give you guys the money mom and dad saved for my wedding and said I owed it to you because I’ll never get married and I was mean in high school. Obviously I am not doing that. Her approaching me was incredibly inappropriate and I thought you should know. I won’t be discussing money with her again.”
    I like this.   It'll potentially create a rift in the relationship but puts all cards on the table. 
    yeah agreed- like way better for the rift to be about what actually happened than some weird cover up you’re doing
  • banana468 said:
    “Sis, Meg asked me to give you guys the money mom and dad saved for my wedding and said I owed it to you because I’ll never get married and I was mean in high school. Obviously I am not doing that. Her approaching me was incredibly inappropriate and I thought you should know. I won’t be discussing money with her again.”
    yeah agreed- like way better for the rift to be about what actually happened than some weird cover up you’re doing
    Yup.   And there's something so off about the way she's attempting to insinuate some additional money owed over something that happened in high school. 
  • “Sis, Meg asked me to give you guys the money mom and dad saved for my wedding and said I owed it to you because I’ll never get married and I was mean in high school. Obviously I am not doing that. Her approaching me was incredibly inappropriate and I thought you should know. I won’t be discussing money with her again.”

This is clearly the right way to handle it; Meg was way out of line and I’m guessing since she approached LW that sis knows nothing about the ask. 

It’s probably not going to end well between LW and sis, but that’s on Meg for doing all kinds of wrong here. 
  • I agree the LW should mention the conversation to the sister.  It was a big ask and mouth-dropping the request came from Meg, which also makes me suspect the sister knew nothing about it.  Not to mention how rudely it was phrased. but my issue is more that the LW shouldn't feel like she needs to keep this a secret from the sister so Meg doesn't look bad.

With all that said, it wouldn't hurt for the LW to think about the kind of wedding she wants to have, if she gets married in the future.  If she envisions something that wouldn't take most/all of her wedding fund, it would be a nice gesture to offer $X from her own fund considering the sister/Meg wedding is costing more through no fault of their own.  I certainly don't think she should feel obligated to do that.  But it's something I would consider...awful FSIL/FBIL or not...if I were in a similar situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker