Wedding Woes

Just keep ignoring her LW. Block her if you have to. You don't owe her anything.

Dear Prudence,

A few years ago, I started working at a new company and met “Angelica,” a colleague who was bright, capable, and fun. We became fast friends and spent a lot of time together. She’s five years younger than me, and her drive and passion for work reminded me of myself a bit earlier in my career. But eventually I noticed she often spoke very poorly of her friends and seemed to have a lot of drama with them, and that most of our conversations revolved around her life and her anxiety. This year I got laid off, along with many others. I was depressed and frightened about the future. Angelica and I would occasionally text, but the conversations inevitably returned to her and her anxiety, particularly about work. I didn’t realize until later that these conversations were exhausting and negative, so I pulled back, and noticed that when I didn’t text her first, she wouldn’t reach out.

Whenever we planned a virtual hangout, she’d come up with an excuse at the last minute or simply fail to show up. While I was kind of sad that she wouldn’t make time for me, it seemed going our separate ways would be for the best and was happening naturally. After a while, she texted something fairly meaningless, like “Yo,” and I ignored it, since I was dealing with something else at the time. It’s been a few weeks now, and she’s reached out several times asking why I’m ignoring her, and I am seized with anxiety when I think about responding with why, because I think it will turn into a lengthy argument I don’t want to have. However, I see her side—if a friend was to start ignoring me, I would be bewildered and confused as well, and I feel bad about ghosting her (I never ghost people). What is my obligation to a self-centered friend I still care about, but don’t want to be friends with anymore?

—Reluctant Ghost

Re: Just keep ignoring her LW. Block her if you have to. You don't owe her anything.

• You’re not a reluctant ghost, you just ghosted her. I think ghosting isn’t cool except in situations that are super unhealthy. Tell her that you were hurt by her frequently bailing on plans and for now it’s best you two not spend time together. 
  • Um...if someone I continuously bailed on and ignored or self-centered myself (something I'm really bad about doing) stopped reaching out, I'd 1. know what happened and 2. decide if I needed to step up and apologize or if I needed to let the friendship go it's own way b/c ITA.

If LW wants to rekindle the friendship, I think that's okay, but I think LW should be honest and create some boundaries with Angelica.  If LW doesn't want to be friends again, continue ignoring it, Angelica will figure it out.  Sometimes people like this just realize they're not getting attention from a particular person again, and seek to reset that back up.
  • I'm very anti-ghosting.  I think it is often unnecessarily mean and done in situations where the "ghoster" is hurting someone else because that's easier for them than dealing with an awkward, but very brief, conversation.

I certainly don't think the LW would be a bad person to continue ignoring their former friend.  I can also understand the reason.  But I think most people, including Angelica in this situation, deserve to be given an answer.  It could even be a text back like, "Hey Angelica.  I should have told you sooner, but it feels like your friendship has run its course.  I wish you well, but just have too much on my plate right now to stay in touch."

It's fine to ignore someone after you have told them it's over and there is nothing more to discuss.  But they should at least be given that heads up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker