Wedding Woes

Because making fun of another culture IS rude and racist

My wife and her best friend are white. They always talk to each other in fake Indian accents for hours at a time. I think it’s weird and kind of racist. I’ve suggested she stop, and she asked me how it’s racist. Now Prudie, I’m not an eloquent guy. The way other people can so well put into words what’s wrong with bigotry, I just can’t do. I’m not that smart, but I know it’s wrong just because it feels wrong. Which is maybe a stupid thing to say. I don’t even know what to Google so I can read it to her. Am I overreacting? What should I say?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Because making fun of another culture IS rude and racist

• Send her articles about how Hank Azaria won't be the voice of Apu?  Discuss cultural appropriation?  
  • Ask her why they do it? Are the making fun of people or their accents? They’re doing it to a specific culture and language. That’s racist. 
  • Just divorce this one, dude. 
  • I would say it's poor cultural appropriation instead of racist personally.

But like @banana468 said, show her about Hank Azaria doing Apu's voice. Or Jenny Slate not doing the voice of Missy on Big Mouth anymore.
  • Words for the LW, " You and your friend are faking an accent to make fun of an entire country of people.  Who, even worse, are a largely a different racial background from you all.  Even if for some unfathomable reason you still don't understand or agree that it is racist, I AM offended by it.  So stop offending me."

While not the most important point, I'm also puzzled as to WHY is the LW's wife and her friend even doing that!  Unless I'm being paid big bucks in a tv program or movie (and it's appropriate), it sounds exhausting to fake an accent for hours at a time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker