Wedding Woes

Your FIL is inappropriate and please stop calling your H's female family members stupid.

Dear Prudence,

My husband and his father aren’t super close, but my husband loves and respects his dad. My father-in-law lives in a very rural part of the Midwest with his wife of 45 years. I’ve been married to my husband for 15 years and have long found my father-in-law creepy. Years ago, when his granddaughter was visiting them (she was 9), I found him straddling her on the living-room rug and giving her a back massage. During that same visit, I saw him rest his hand on her inner thigh while we were all watching a movie. He had also purchased her “Daisy Duke” short shorts. Five years later, when she was 14, he took her on a cross-country road trip, just the two of them, and they shared motel rooms. When they visited us on this trip, he slapped her butt—really hard. The next day both my husband and I observed him caressing her legs, like you would a partner. These are just the top things I’ve witnessed. There are other things, too, like putting her head in his lap, etc. He used to shower her with gifts.

My husband and I fight about this. My husband’s sister is the girl’s mother, and I don’t think she’s the brightest. I talked to the granddaughter privately and told her that no one has a right to touch her body without her consent. I point-blank asked her if her grandfather touching her made her uncomfortable, and she said yes. She’s 18 now, and they both still live in the rural Midwest. I just can’t get past my father-in-law being so inappropriate. My husband agrees his behavior is inappropriate. I also have two young boys, and the grandparents want to visit this summer. Am I wrong to be on high alert with my father-in-law around my kids? My husband thinks I’m overreacting. My mother-in-law is not a smart woman and isn’t the least bit worldly.  She has never seemed to be concerned, and I’m cringing with my eyes wide open.

—Creepy Father-In-Law

Re: Your FIL is inappropriate and please stop calling your H's female family members stupid.

• Some of these would not be problematic to me such as sharing a hotel room.  I'm not sure about you but I would absolutely share a hotel room with a minor relative vs. give them their own room.

But the rest mean you enact boundaries to protect your kids. 

And regardless of what you think of the intelligence of the rest of the family stop telling your H that you think the women in his family are idiots.
  • This is gross.  Absolutely be on high alert around your children and FIL.  
  • You’ve allowed an inappropriate relationship that is harming a child to continue for years. No. Don’t allow him to abuse your kids too. 
  • Yah this is wrong, your niece was uncomfortable and none of the adults in her life did anything about it. Your female relatives are t stupid but it’s possible they’ve also been abused. 

No you don’t allow your kids to be alone with him. 
  • Grooming happens to adults as much as the victims that are abused in these situations.  We're also talking about a wife and daughter of the alleged predator.  So this indoctrination has been going on since the dawn of both relationships.  LW needs to stop judging their lack of reaction or concerns because they also may be victims of his abusive tendencies. 

So LW needs to stop with this rhetoric.  Also, it's no way to get LW's husband on their side. 

Also like @CharmedPam said, LW is no better if they've known about this since niece was 9.  LW is just as much of the problem if the just wrung their hands and didn't do anything if this was so emergent. 

LW needs to protect their kids.  That's the hill to die on in this moment with the upcoming visit.  Going forward, they need to continue to focus the conversations with their H on their FIL's behavior and leave MIL/SIL 'intelligence' out of it. 

If there's no victim(s) to come forward, I'm not sure what LW can do.  I mean, the nuclear option is to call child services for an investigation.  But niece is 18 and LW didn't indicate anything beyond niece saying she was uncomfortable.  Would niece even cooperate if asked about his behavior? 
  • It's a tough Prudie letter when everyone, except the niece, sounds horrifying.  Including the LW.

The grandfather is the obvious, creepy villain.

But let's also review your behavior, LW.  You call out your SIL and MIL as being stupid, unworldly country bumpkins.  But I don't see your supposedly more educated and worldly self doing a DAMN thing to help your vulnerable niece.  I'm cringing at you, LW.  With my eyes wide open.

She mentions the FIL "used to" shower the niece with gifts.  Which implies he doesn't anymore.  Sounds like the niece has finally "aged out" of his pedophiliac preference.  So all's well that ends well, amiright?

Of course the LW should be on high alert with her sons.  That's not even a real action, so I don't know why her H is making a beef about her "overreacting".

What she should really do is fight to not allow her FIL to see their children.  It's not enough to keep an eye on him and make sure he isn't alone around them.  She can't guard them every second, of every day during their visit and her H won't help because he barely sees a problem.  But she wouldn't put her foot down and cause a "fuss" like that either, by not allowing the FIL to come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker