Wedding Woes

Talk to you FI, but be ready to go if he is still not ready

My fiancé had been divorced for a year when we met. He had three preteen and elementary school-age children. We moved slowly with our relationship for the kids. My relationship with them was civil if slightly warm. Our wedding was five months away when their mother unexpectedly died.

I am not a monster—we cancelled the wedding and focused on the grief of the children. I moved out and kept my distance as my fiancé struggled to be a full-time single parent of three. He got the children into counseling immediately, but the consequences are that three years later, we are still in a holding pattern.

The kids run hot and cold towards me or the idea of marriage. Especially his 15-year-old daughter. She misses her mom and sees me as the interloper. She will never not stop seeing me as the person trying to replace her mother, even if she admits she knows I am not trying to.
Family therapy sessions are hard. My fiancé loves me. He loves his kids. He wants to do the “right thing.” I don’t think it is possible for everyone.

I love him, but I want kids of my own. I am 34 and have a family history of infertility. People tell me to just wait until the daughter turns 18, but she will still be living at home and what then? Gamble on the grief going away or not getting triggered again with a new potential half-sibling? Forcing my fiancé to choose between his children and me maybe?  Potentially permanently alienating my stepchildren?

They aren’t bad kids. They don’t deliberately seek to hurt, but they do lash out, and I am the nearest lightning rod. I feel for them, but I can’t live my life this way. Should I stay or go? I love my fiancé with all my heart. Help.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Talk to you FI, but be ready to go if he is still not ready

• I can't believe LW has been waiting for 3 years.  It's time to move on.  
  • You moved out of your home? And it was 3 years ago?

He may be a great guy but he’s not going to marry you. Decide if you’re fine keeping on, keeping on. The grief will never go away, but it can become manageable. You are allowed to have needs and wants that are not being met by your pattern, and you’re allowed to say so. 
  • It's time to cut the bait. 

This guy may have no clue how to handle what life has thrown at him and right now the LW is treated like a backup.  

She needs to be clear about what she wants out of this and say it "I love you and I want to be your wife.  I want to be your wife now at 34 and have put life on hold since I was 31.  I want children with you.  Do you want those things?  If you do, it is important to me that we make a plan that we can stick to.  If you cannot commit to that then know I love you but I need to move on." 

I'm curious if this guy also doesn't want kids.  Something tells me that the communication in this relationship sucks. 
  • banana468 said:
    It's time to cut the bait. 

This guy may have no clue how to handle what life has thrown at him and right now the LW is treated like a backup.  

She needs to be clear about what she wants out of this and say it "I love you and I want to be your wife.  I want to be your wife now at 34 and have put life on hold since I was 31.  I want children with you.  Do you want those things?  If you do, it is important to me that we make a plan that we can stick to.  If you cannot commit to that then know I love you but I need to move on." 

I'm curious if this guy also doesn't want kids.  Something tells me that the communication in this relationship sucks. 
    Or he did want more kids when his already kids were living half time with their Mon, but no longer does now that he’s full time parent. 
  • banana468 said:
    It's time to cut the bait. 

Or he did want more kids when his already kids were living half time with their Mon, but no longer does now that he’s full time parent. 
    All of those things may be part of his mentality.  But if he does not use his words it's going to suck.

And the LW needs to be direct because he may not be a bad person but they need to be in a relationship that is mutually beneficial and moving forward. 
  • Who are the "people" in her life telling her to wait until the oldest daughter turns 18?  That would NOT be me, if I was her friend or sister.  I would have been telling her two years ago that it's time she talk to her FI about getting their own plans back on track.

I think this was handled poorly from the beginning.  The LW never should have moved out.  The guy's EX-wife died.  Yes, she was the mother of his children, but his kids already knew the FI and that she was living there.

I even wonder if it backfired and that's part of the problem we're seeing 3 years later.  It might have made it initially harder on the kids and I guess that's what they were thinking.  But the LW would have been another nurturing presence, living in the household.  Her moving out turned her into an interloper.  So there she stays.  An interloper.

I also don't think they would have been "monsters" to have had their original wedding.  Though I can understand why they didn't, since the three other VIPs in the FI's life were grief-stricken.  Grief never goes away.  But it does or should soften over time.

And it's been THREE years!  THREE!  Argh!  That's the really astounding part to me. Look, FI.  Either marry the long-suffering and incredibly patient LW.  Or kowtow to your kids and don't.  But, FFS already, set the LW free to have the life you know she wants.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Who are the "people" in her life telling her to wait until the oldest daughter turns 18?  That would NOT be me, if I was her friend or sister.  I would have been telling her two years ago that it's time she talk to her FI about getting their own plans back on track.

I think this was handled poorly from the beginning.  The LW never should have moved out.  The guy's EX-wife died.  Yes, she was the mother of his children, but his kids already knew the FI and that she was living there.

I even wonder if it backfired and that's part of the problem we're seeing 3 years later.  It might have made it initially harder on the kids and I guess that's what they were thinking.  But the LW would have been another nurturing presence, living in the household.  Her moving out turned her into an interloper.  So there she stays.  An interloper.

I also don't think they would have been "monsters" to have had their original wedding.  Though I can understand why they didn't, since the three other VIPs in the FI's life were grief-stricken.  Grief never goes away.  But it does or should soften over time.

And it's been THREE years!  THREE!  Argh!  That's the really astounding part to me. Look, FI.  Either marry the long-suffering and incredibly patient LW.  Or kowtow to your kids and don't.  But, FFS already, set the LW free to have the life you know she wants.  
    Ditto.  IMO once she moved out the relationship was done. 
  • Agree with everyone. Moving out was a bad move but now you either get married and move back or break up. Or come to peace with nothing changing. I think those are the only options.
  • Sorry, LW, but I think you need to move on from this relationship. If he's still not ready to marry you after all this time, he never will be - and you should also keep in mind that even if the two of you got married tomorrow, when would he be ready to have kids with you, if ever? He's not wrong for prioritizing his kids, and you aren't wrong for wanting more from this relationship. But neither of you being wrong doesn't mean that you and your lives are compatible.