Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Faux Cakes??

Ive recently heard about a new trend...fake wedding cakes? The bakery supplies you with a "stunt-double" cake and a few sheet cakes for serving. Renting the faux cake is less expensive, but looks, feels, and even smells like the real thing! Has anybody had one of these or plans on hvaing one at their reception?? I think its an interesting idea.

Re: Faux Cakes??

• Options
    I'm kinda doing that.  I'm having a 3 tier cake, only the bottom tier is real, we will do the cake cutting with that and serve it and then the rest of the guests will be served with sheet cake.  The other cool thing is that our baker will let us up the order of sheet cake up to 10 days before.  So we ordered less cake than the number of people invited and when I get the RSVPs in I can order more if I need to. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We only had 80 guests at our destination wedding, but I still wanted a very tall cake and didn't want to waste the food... our top 3 layers were real and the bottom 3 were fake. They weren't rented or anything, we still had to pay for the fondant to get it covered, but it did cost less than if all additional 3 bottom layers were real. 

• Options
    It's not really a new trend.  This has been done for some time and works well if you're on a budget.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    it would cut down cost that you could put towards your honeymoon or whatever you wanted. I would go for it. And i've seen a few brides that talk about doing this. I think it's a great idea.
  • Options
    Some people do it but I wouldn't call it the norm or trendy. Its done for budget purposes. It is visually obvious when you serve sheet cake. Your guests won't be fooled.
  • Options
    I am doing this. My caterer/baker does this primarily. We are having the top be real and the rest of the 3 layers be fake. It is WAY cheap and sheet cake is tasty.
    August 2011 Siggy Challenge - Favorite E-Pic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image 275 Invited image 113 Partying it up image 15 At home lonely image 145 MIA
  • Options
    I'm doing a variation of this. I'm having a very large wedding (like 350+ guests) and no way can I afford that much cake! In fact, when I talked to most of the bakers in town they won't make a cake that big! They make a large tiered cake and then also serve sheet cake - so I'm just skipping their step and having a very pretty small 3 tiered cake and serving pre-cut sheet cake. No one  will know the difference, except my pocket book!

Good Luck!!
    Beka Lou
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_faux-cakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5a43f1c7-0e9b-4bd7-b3e4-46306b7be34fPost:fb56d9c3-1382-4c95-af38-58241dded88e">Re: Faux Cakes??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm doing a variation of this. I'm having a very large wedding (like 350+ guests) and no way can I afford that much cake! In fact, when I talked to most of the bakers in town they won't make a cake that big! They make a large tiered cake and then also serve sheet cake - so I'm just skipping their step and having a very pretty small 3 tiered cake and serving pre-cut sheet cake. No one  will know the difference, except my pocket book! Good Luck!!
    Posted by bekahjane89[/QUOTE]

Yes people will know the difference. You can easily tell the difference between a slice of sheet cake vs a slice of tier cake.
  • Options
    i'm doing the same, one peice is real so we can still cut it :) saves LOTS of money
  • Options

I'm sorry, but I think it's tacky.  Better to have a small real cake and supplement it with sheet cakes from the kitchen.  I don't see anything wrong with having actual sheet cakes as wedding cakes, on display.  I would prefer no cake to a fake cake.  But, that's just MHO, others will feel differently.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards