Texas-Houston

Travel Theme Wedding - in 4 months?

My fiancee proposed during our trip to Fiji a month ago. We were originally going to go to Greece and he had planned to propose in Santorini but we couldn't make it there because of the volcanic ash in Europe so we decided to go to Honolulu and Fiji instead. I feel very lucky to have a FI that's in the airline industry and he's been able to take me to lots of beautiful places during our 2 yrs of dating (Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Argentina, Spain, France, Palau, Japan & Fiji)

We want to have our wedding October 9, 2010. We are thinking a garden ceremony with a luncheon buffet event (12-4PM) for about 65 people, currently finalizing the venue. I also have our Photographer, who's a friend of ours and the cake and flowers place.

I want to incorporate our love of travel by having the tables named after the countries we've visited and have a small memory book on the table or something like that to tell people about our time in that country. I also want send off people with bottles of Fiji water as it's now one of our favorite places.

We also want to register at honeyfund.com for people that would like to contribute money donations for our Greece honeymoon. I read that some people thought this was not a good idea but I was hoping we would be able to get away with it since we're doing the travel theme, we would do a regular registry.

Can we pull it off ?any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciatted!

Re: Travel Theme Wedding - in 4 months?

• lealfrantzlealfrantz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is such a cute theme! You could use some old globes and maps and make it very vintage! There is a lot of fun stuff you can do with that!

A lot of people say those registries are rude, but I think they are cool. A lot of couples already have everything they need. I always like giving the couple something they will truly enjoy. I would never percieve it as rude. I say go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think the travel theme is super cute. Instead of a traditional guestbook, you could also have your guests sign postcards instead and read them while on your trip :-). Favors could be luggage tags or something travel-related as well.

I'm not a fan of honeymoon registries only because most of those charge a fee that your guests have to pay for and the ones that don't sort of "lie" to your guests about where the money goes. You just get a check at the end, so your guests really aren't paying for any activities. If you'd like people to give you money instead of gifts, then I would just skip the registry entirely, and people will know to give you cash.
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't agree with honeymoon registries. Your theme is cute though
  • edited December 2011
    I love the honeyfund thing. So cute!

I could picture having a large floral arangement (maybe near the buffet or entryway) coming out of a vintage suitcase! I think this could be really nice.

I loved the idea of your guestbook being postcards to read on the plane to your honeymoon.

Also, it sounds like you all are very "global" people- so I guess I wouldn't expect your buffet to just be like chicken & potatoes. Maybe have multiple types of cuisine. There was a knottie recently who had like greek, italian, & asian food ( I can't remember who it was)

Your wedding sounds lovely. Congrats!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    cute idea overall.

and I am not a fan of honeymoon registries. they basically say, "give me money so I can go on vacation and sex up my new husband!" if a friend of mine had a honeymoon registry, they would be getting a card from me, with no cash or check.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the theme! I almost did this same theme (since we both like to travel and he works for an airline). Definetly do luggage tags as favors.

http://www.luggagetags.com/index.html

http://www.pricewisefavors.com/

I thought the stamps would be a cute decoration or even a fun way to let people know seating arrangements.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards