Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

ideas instead of unity candle or "love sand"

I'm having an outdoor ceremony in May.  We aren't having anything religious in our ceremony so I don't feel it is appropriate to have a unity candle (also, since its outside I don't want to worry about it being too windy to light a candle).  Other than unity candles I have seen people do the love sand thing, but it seems like EVERYONE does this now.  Are there any other options besides a unity candle or sand?  Thanks!

Re: ideas instead of unity candle or "love sand"

• Options
    We are doing a wine sharing instead of the candle/sand thing...
  • Options
    We did colored water
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I've seen a couple pour 2 different vintages of wine together and drink.  I've also heard of another couple that bought a bottle of wine, wrote each other a note, locked up everything in a box and vowed to open the box on their 5 or 10 year anniversary. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would just skip it.  Ours was also outdoors in a tent, so flames weren't an option.  It didn't seem worth the effort to me.
  • Options
    There are lots of options if you want to include something (but doing nothing in "substitution" is perfectly fine!):
    - rope-tying ceremony, where your hands are tied together
    - wine-drinking
    - water-drinking
    - lassoing the bride & groom together
  • Options
    I want to pour water together...of course I want it to be different colors. We are trying to figure out what the best colors would be to go with our theme and colors.
  • Options

Our DD and SIL also had an outdoor ceremony, and as they felt that the purpose of a wedding ceremony IS a unity ceremony, they didn't add anything else.  The wedding was lovely and I don't believe that anyone missed the fact that they didn't mix anything together.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I agree that the unity ceremony is not necessary, but I have read some about using salt (the biblical way to make a contract was to put a pinch of salt from your pouch- apparently you just always had a pouch of salt- into that of another person's. The only way to break the contract was to be able to take your grains back out of his salt, which of course is impossible). Salt also has some meaning in that it's considered pure and/or lucky. There are some nice readings/explanations your officiant can give about it. It would go a lot like the sand ceremonly but without the "art project" vibe I always get from the different colors.
  • Options
    Wouldn't the water pouring just make like, a brown/black water? would you use like an oil and water?

We're doing something called handfasting, it's pagan in origin, but is actually really symbolic and can be used for anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards