Rhode Island

Vendor Reviews (Astors' Beechwood, Blackstone, Black Tie Band)

Hi everyone,I've never posted here before (I'm on the Nest now), but I was a permanent lurker throughout my planning process.  I wasn't going to bother writing now that my wedding is over, but I learned so much from the reviews of other Knotties that I almost feel obligated to give something back.  Hopefully this will help some overwhelmed bride out there!I used to get frustrated with the A+ grades that people would give out (come on, be a real critic!) but when I sat down to do this, I realized that I honestly couldn't give some of my vendors any less.  I really lucked out and had an absolutely flawless day thanks to the following people:Astors' Beechwood Mansion - A+If you want to feel like you're a member of Newport society for the evening, there is no better place than Astors'.  I loved the history of the mansions.  Rosecliff was beautiful, but it was a little too grand and fussy for my tastes - I liked that Astors' just felt like someone's home.We had a gorgeous day and we were able to hold our cocktails on the veranda, which has a stunning view of the ocean.  The ballroom looked beautiful, and the layout (with the band in the alcove) is perfect for dancing.Although the in-house service is really limited to booking the date and drawing up a timeline for the event, the women I worked with were so helpful and accommodating whenever I wanted to come by.Blackstone Caterers - A+Anyone who is considering these guys - don't hesitate to book.  The food was incredible, but just as importantly (to me, at least), the displays looked AMAZING.We had six passed hors d'oeuvres, a raw bar (HUGE hit with the guests!), and a crudites table during cocktail hour.  For dinner, we had a salad followed by a duet of spice-rubbed filet mignon and a shrimp and scallop brochette, paired with baby carrots, haricot verts, and a potato and goat cheese souffle.I'm not a wedding cake fan, so for our dessert bar we had Blackstone do mini panna cottas (in shot glasses), mini chocolate mousse, mini creme brulees (in Asian spoons), and seasonal berries with fresh whipped cream.  We offered espressos and cappuccinos as well, which the guests LOVED.  Everything was so high-quality and so nicely presented... everyone raved.My parents are very into their drinks, so we brought in our own beer, wine and champagne, but let Blackstone take care of the hard liquor.  I loved how flexible they were with all of our requests, and our contact (Marybeth Hunte) was just wonderful to work with.  Black Tie Band - A+These guys are tried and true on the Newport events scene, and I'm just another bride backing up everyone else who tells you that they are AMAZING.  Nancy Paolino is wonderful to work with, and her voice is truly beautiful.  The band 100% stuck to the playlist I had given them, but they made perfect choices as to what to play when.  My guests (some of whom are true music snobs) couldn't get enough - everyone was on the dance floor ALL NIGHT.  They learned our first dance song just for us, and made it sound fantastic.Unfortunately the clips on their website make them sound a little cheesy, but they are anything but in person.  VERY reasonably priced as well for what you get!

Re: Vendor Reviews (Astors' Beechwood, Blackstone, Black Tie Band)

• spesh37spesh37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for posting this!  I am getting married at Astors Beechwood Mansion in less than 2 weeks AND we are using Blackstone too!  This is great to read!  :)
  • kerrijunekerrijune member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks so much for the reviews!! we booked the black tie band so I'm really glad to hear that they did such a great job!! congrats!!
  • edited December 2011
    We also have the Black Tie Band booked. Can I ask what your first dance song was? We are thinking about having them learn something for us as well but I was worried how it would translate with a live band. Thanks!
  • MacCheekyMacCheeky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our first dance song was "Yours Forever" by John Mellencamp (The husband put it on in the car on our first date, and it became "our song").  It's off the "Perfect Storm" soundtrack if you'd like to check it out.  I was very worried about how it would translate because it's pretty different from your average first dance song, but they did an amazing job.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards