Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

My non-religious wedding ceremony.. please give me your opinions?

This is how we're planning on having our wedding ceremony go. If you could read this and give me your opinions, I'd appreciate it! I don't have the order of processional, or our vows added yet. 

M*C

ZIEGLER

a wedding.

Processional

www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzwFS69nA-1w&h=2fd82TgpK3QLi1kDGcwdIqE53Yw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFS69nA-1w

Opening Words of Officiate

Officiate: Friends, we have been invited here today to share with Michael and Crystal a very important moment in their lives. In the time they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife.

Giving in Marriage

Officiate: Who presents this couple for marriage?

All Parents: Stand up, and say, “We do.”

Officiate: Do you offer your blessing and best wishes for the future of this family?

All Parents: “We do.” (Hopefully!)

Officiate: Thank you, you may be seated.

Reading #1

Officiate: First I will read a passage from "Gift from the Sea," by Anne Morrow Lindbergh that does an excellent job of defining love.

"When you love someone, you do not love them all the time, in exactly the same way, from moment to moment. It is an impossibility. It is even a lie to pretend to. And yet this is exactly what most of us demand. We have so little faith in the ebb and flow of life, of love, of relationships. We leap at the flow of the tide and resist in terror its ebb. We are afraid it will never return. We insist on permanency, on duration, on continuity; when the only continuity possible, in life as in love, is in growth, in fluidity - in freedom, in the sense that the dancers are free, barely touching as they pass, but partners in the same pattern.

The only real security is not in owning or possessing, not in demanding or expecting, not in hoping, even. Security in a relationship lies neither in looking back to what was in nostalgia, nor forward to what it might be in dread or anticipation, but living in the present relationship and accepting it as it is now. Relationships must be like islands, one must accept them for what they are here and now, within their limits - islands, surrounded and interrupted by the sea, and continually visited and abandoned by the tides."

Exchanging of Vows

Reading #2

Officiate: Next is an excerpt from an “Apache Marriage Blessing”.
Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship - as they threaten all relationships at one time or another - remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.

Exchanging of Rings

Officiate: Now the couple will exchange rings to serve as a symbol of their union.

Groom puts ring on bride, and is prompted by Officiate to say: This ring I give you, in token and pledge of our constant faith and abiding love.

Bride puts ring on groom, and is prompted by Officiate to say: This ring I give you, in token and pledge of our constant faith and abiding love.

Handfasting

Officiate: Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be the shelter for each other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be the warmth for the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before. Go now to your dwelling place to enter into the days of your life together. And may your days be good and long upon the earth.

As Officiate reads, Bride’s daughter ties the rope around the Bride’s left hand, and the Groom’s right hand, with the Couple’s assistance.

If they are still performing the handfasting when Officiate is done reading, the Officiate should continue into the next reading.

Reading #3

Officiate: From “The Invitation,” by Oriah Mountain Dreamer 
"It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing. It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring with your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain. I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it. I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human. It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see beauty, even when it's not pretty, every day, and if you can source your own life from its presence. I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!”
It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children. It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand alone in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back...."

Declaration

Officiate: By the power vested in me by the State of Ohio, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.

Kiss

Introduction of Couple

Officiate: It is my pleasure to introduce to you, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Ziegler!

Recessional

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDNfwIrx1M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDNfwIrx1M

Crystal and Michael --- *Budget - $5000 *Guests - 100-125 *Location - NW Ohio *Date - August, 2011

Re: My non-religious wedding ceremony.. please give me your opinions?

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Love the first reading!! Our ceremony is not really religious either- more spititual I guess. But i really like this.

ETA: Are you writing your own vows?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I also love the first reading! You've put so much thought and time into this and it shows! You will have a beautiful ceremony! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards