Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Noisy ceremony location- what to do?

Hi Knotties:

We are getting married at my in-laws place, who have some property next to a fairly busy road.  We aren't right next to the road, but you can still hear cars a little.  My concern is the ceremony won't feel intimate- what if some loud biker comes roaring by and totally disrupts everything?  By the way, it's a smaller wedding with 60 people, max.

I'm not in a position where I can have the ceremony in another location, so I am left with figuring out a way to cover up the noise, or just deal with it.  Would it be weird to play some sort of music during the ceremony? I haven't heard of people doing this, though.  I am not sure what to do.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Re: Noisy ceremony location- what to do?

• Deal with it.  Sorry, that's the best advice I can give you.   You'd have to install some fairly major sound barrier walls (think about what you see next to the highway) to mitigate the sound.   Music would be REALLY distracting I think, because you'd have to have it pretty loud in order to drown anything out.   
    DSC_9275
  • You're just going to have to deal with it.  You will be so wrapped up in the ceremony, you won't notice a loud car going by.
  • Statistically, what do you think the odd are for a bunch of bikers to come by the house during your wedding?  I understand how you are worried, but this really is one of those things that just is what it is.  Make sure you have a decent sound system so people can hear your vows and make the best of it.

• I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you should try and set up a microphone for the officiant/you and your FI if you are concerned that your guests won't be able to hear.
    June 16, 2012
  • Thanks guys!  These are all the same thoughts I had.  I'll just go with it and make the best of it.
  • I'm kind of in the same boat. The venue where we're having the ceremony and reception has two choices for the ceremony--the garden and the beach. The garden is beautiful and ideal, but if all of our guests RSVP yes, we can't fit everyone in and we have to move to the beach. The location is near an airport, and I've heard of planes overhead drowning out some of the ceremony when it's on the beach.

You just have to go with the flow. I think music would just add to the noise rather than cover it up. Microphones might be a good idea. Also, play around with different chair set-ups and see how close you can squeeze everyone in without it being uncomfortable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_noisy-ceremony-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:75275ec0-c38f-46e0-8833-e5c070db5ce1Post:61974afc-0719-4c19-a17d-41332716ea36">Re: Noisy ceremony location- what to do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe you should try and set up a microphone for the officiant/you and your FI if you are concerned that your guests won't be able to hear.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

<div>^^ please do this.  I hate when I go to a wedding and can't hear the ceremony.</div><div>
    </div><div>If bikers go by or something - pause the ceremony and laugh it off - don't let it keep you up at night :)</div>
  • harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    You can hang wind chimes (the more mellow-toned metal tube ones, rather than ones with glass bits that 'clink') on the trees.  That might add a pleasing but not loud or distracting sound element to the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards