New York-Upstate
Options

Budget Friendly Farm/Barn Location near Albany/Upper Hudson Valley

We're looking to have a Sept. wedding in a farm/barn location. We are paying for the wedding ourselves so have a VERY tight Budget. We are trying to keep the whole wedding under 10K. We do have large families but we can cut the list down to 200 maybe less. We have family that will do the photography and the rehersal dinner catering so we will need everything else. Really we are looking for an empty barn for everyone or a field that will alow us to have a tent.  We have found a few places that were interested but they are still too expensive.. and they said they will work with us on cost. But I don't think they can go that low. The best choice is Apple Barn Farm and then also Old Tater Barn. Anyone been to them? I didn't think finding a farm in this area would be tough! Was I wrong!

Thanks I'm starting to turn into Bridezilla!!!!!Embarassed

Re: Budget Friendly Farm/Barn Location near Albany/Upper Hudson Valley

• Options
    edited December 2011

The term upstate is one of the most wideranging terms i think i have ever heard/used. haha. I've lived in a couple different upstate locations from practically Canad a to Capital District. If your looking for upstate closer/below/west of Albany i came across this site in my own search for venues (http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/barn-venues-in-upstate-ny)    If you're willing to go even farther north (i'm talking North Country NY where there are probably more cows and barns than people, yu may have moreluck. One of my old friends got married in a gorgeous barn way up north. I don't think they had a lot of people though. If i come across any mre things i'll toss it your way. sorry long winded, but hopefully this is helpful. GOOD LUCK!!!

• Options
    jcasey513jcasey513 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'll check it out! I know upstate to me means anything above the city (used to live in Westchester cty). My family is comming from CT and my Fiances are here with us  in the albany area. SO anyplace around the cap district sounds good! Thanks again!!Laughing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding at the Shaker Farm near the albany airport in June. It was beautiful. You do need to rent EVERYTHING- porter potties, chairs, tables, linens, etc. Classe catering did the food, station style - they are quite expensive for what you get IMO, but the barn itself is great. if you want more info, PM me.
  • Options
    AKatharineAKatharine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might think renting a farm/barn would be cheaper but its really not. Considering you have to rent all the linens, napkins, flateware, glassware, plates, china, chairs, tables, EVERYTHING. Tents are very expensive it all adds up quickly. I would check into an Elks lodge the one in latham is very nice. Does anyone in your family have a large yard that you could do? Doing a 10k wedding for 200 people is going to be a struggle.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I know :( nothings cheap. We are on the waiting list for the Pruyn House (my top pick) cuz they are all booked. We may have found one place (www.Oldetaterbarn.com) but its farther then we had hoped and they only have sept 11th available. Comes with tables/chairs and  batrooms attached to the barn and its super reasonable. Only $800 for the amount of people we need and they do all the cleanup and setup. Our caterer will be able to make it ( hes a friend of the family so that will save us $$ too) Its just that my family from CT will have to drive 31/2 hrs and my fiances family will have to drive over an hour. And we are bout an hour from it too. Theres not really any good hotels in the area and its in the middle of nowhere (which personally I love... just not most of our family is too keen on it) And then we just realized we may have another place. My Fiances uncle just restored a barn property and it may be done. Not sure if its big enough but its at the right price :) It does however have a dirt floor... so we would have to do something about that.
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have recently stumbled upon the Deefrestville Barn in RPI tech park off Rt. 4.  RPI I believe does the catering for this, I will be looking into this for our rehearsal dinner.  Good parking, and down the road from a few newer hotels in the East Greenbush area.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! It's gorgeous! I sent them an email and I'm crossing my fingers!!Laughing
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yay we booked the RPI Barn!!! Thanks so much! its just what we were looking for! (now if only I can have that made into my house... that would be so awesome!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have contact info for the Defreestville Barn? I would love to get some info from them?

• Options
    LSchuckeLSchucke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It looks beautiful there.  How many people can it accomodate?
  • Options
    pennyprettypennypretty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness! I love you guys. I am an RPI alum and I had no idea that there was a barn in the Tech Park! I'm looking for a barn and this might just be perfect. And if it fit the jcasey's budget then I bet it will fit mine too!

Did you get any more info/photos?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The barn was resently redone that may be why you didn't know it was there... the before photos were basically of a fallen down barn.

We have the barn reserved for 2 days and it was only $1000. I'm not sure if its the same, cost now. It seats about 150 comfortably.. 165 most. It is 2 floors which is kinda neat... im planning on doing a grand enterance down the stairs (if I dont fall with my 4" heels!)
    http://www.rpi.edu/about/inside/issue/v3n8/dutch.html
    http://www.rpitechpark.com/parknews.php

The barn is gorgeous. Perfect for those looking for a rustic barn look. The beams and most of the barn actually was taken from local trees/other barns.

The contact person is April Rounds, she was previously a wedding planner in Texas and is very knowledgable in the area.  She is new to this barn but has some awesome ideas. her email is rounda@rpi.edu

LaughingI cant wait until Sept 18th!!!!!
  • Options
    pennyprettypennypretty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called to visit the barn next weekend. This is excellent. Thanks so much for the info :) A friend of mine who saw the barn while it was under construction said even then it was really really nice.

@jcasey From the photos April sent me I think the grand entrance from upstairs would look amazing! Just hold onto your hubby tight :)
  • Options
    clairedepauwclairedepauw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you are still looking, there is a pretty good list of barn venues at http://www.hudsonvalleyweddingfever.com/. hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards