New York-Upstate

Beer & wine only vs. full open bar??

We're struggling with deciding to do a full open bar or to do beer and wine only.  Beer and wine only will save us $1500 and since we're paying for the wedding on our own, it would really help us a lot.  I've personally never been to a wedding that didn't have a full open bar.  I'm wondering how common beer and wine only is at a wedding and what most people's thoughts are about it.

Re: Beer & wine only vs. full open bar??

• I don't know that I've ever been to a wedding with a full open bar -- at least, it hasn't happened recently.  Most weddings I've been to (including my own) had an open bar during the cocktail hour, then cash bar during the rest of the reception.  If you do want to provide free alcohol all night, free beer and wine is plenty generous enough.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I are discussing the same thing.  I have been to weddings that offered every combination of open/cash bar, and although a full open bar is always nice, I don't think anyone expects it at every wedding they go to.  I've never been to a wedding that offered only beer/wine/soda and thought, what cheapskates!  Our wedding venue offered to serve a signature cocktail during the cocktail hour at a reduced price; if yours will, that could be a nice compromise.  Either way, I'm sure your wedding guests won't care about anything but sharing the day with you! 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-upstate_beer-wine-only-vs-full-open-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:124Discussion:b0ebedaa-7ea1-49ca-9455-5f98dca09edcPost:283eb25e-ad1e-4312-8011-14588c6917ee">Beer & wine only vs. full open bar??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're struggling with deciding to do a full open bar or to do beer and wine only.  Beer and wine only will save us $1500 and since we're paying for the wedding on our own, it would really help us a lot.  I've personally never been to a wedding that didn't have a full open bar.  I'm wondering how common beer and wine only is at a wedding and what most people's thoughts are about it.
    Posted by ArmyBride07[/QUOTE]
  • Having just open beer and wine and then a signature cocktail is a great compromise. You are sticking with your budget but also providing an option for those guests who don't like beer or wine. You could also consider having a champagne toast at each table setting. I would ask your venue what they would charge for those options. Here at out hotel, the Best Western Albany Airport Inn, our signature cocktail is usually "The blushing bride" which includes champagne, peach schnapps and grenadine and it's a pretty pink color!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards