Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

walking by myself down the aisle?

I'm having trouble deciding if I should walk down the aisle with my dad, my mom or alone.  My parents got divorced about 10 years ago and my dad and I haven't had that great of a relationship but have been trying to rebuild it the past year.  I am very very close with my mom.  I know no matter which decision I choose, my dad's feelings will get hurt but I'm not comfortable with him walking me down the aisle because he really hasn't been a great father figure.  How do I decide what to do?

Re: walking by myself down the aisle?

• Options
    Well if you're not comfortable with him walking you down the aisle I don't think you should do it.  You have some time to decide on it, so maybe wait awhile to make the decision since you're rebuilding your relationship.  If I was in that position (& your feelings don't change til the time to decide comes) I think I would walk myself down to save his feelings a little.  I'm not one for lying, but if that's what you decide I would tell him you just couldn't choose between him & your mom so you're going alone.  Or, you could have them both do it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Go with your guts! Do what you feel is right and comfortable with but always, be honest to yourself (i.e., do you really want to walk down the aisle by yourself)  GL!
  • Options
    totally agree with pp...i would also see how things turn out a little bit down the road but other than that it's really up to you. it's your wedding day and you shouldn't be worrying about drama
  • Options
    This might sound stupid and crazy, but why not walk down the aisle with your mom and dad by your side? It would make your day extra special. Obviously your dad means something to you, because you're inviting him, and you have been trying to get closer to him. Is it going to make your day special to purposefully embarrass and reject your father? Will you feel happy, or will it preoccupy your mind, when you should really be thinking about marrying the love of your life? Your wedding only happens once, why start the first day of your life as husband and wife, with bringing resentment, regret, and hostility into the picture?

I can sort of relate to your situation. My mother is a single mom, and I have never met my father. My mother didn't want to walk me down the aisle, because she felt embarrassed that tradition calls for a man to do it. I told my mom that she better walk me down the aisle, and I don't give a damn what people think about it. She said she might need a drink before she does it! hahaha!

In the end, it is your day (and your husband's, don't forget this day is important to him, and he doesn't need any drama either!). Believe me, it will be so special to force your mother and father to walk you down the aisle. I say force, because your mom might not want to walk next to your father, but it's what you want that matters. Let this day be the start of a new beginning in your life. Remember, it's not just your wedding to look forward to, you have holidays at your new home, and maybe baptisms in the future (I don't know if you're Catholic, but I'm just giving examples). In a nutshell, don't hurt your father, because you have the future to think about, and this might really hurt him and your relationship with him. Your dad is not immortal, why don't you try to enjoy the last years you have together?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say do what makes you feel the most comfortable and happiest. I hope your father would realize that it is your day and you should be happy, yes maybe it wouldn't be his first choice but he sould be be happy for you. I guess I just have a very nice family who dosn't get offended about stuff like that. They are just happy that they are going to be going to my wedding and sharing that day with me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_walking-myself-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:89ba4161-ab34-4c8c-a6a6-0c767ec9577cPost:16b335ac-3a19-49c8-a0ea-4c1582680f54">Re: walking by myself down the aisle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Walk in with your fiance.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  It makes a tangible statement about the way you're approaching your new life.  I like it!
  • Options
    I am in the same situation kimp67. My fiance and I have been considering walking in together. OR I walk half-way and he meets me and we walk the rest of the way to the altar.  I am also considering walking myself down the aisle myself.

I think you should honestly talk to your father about it before the wedding. I need to do the same thing. Help clear confusion but remember that this is one day you will remember forever. Like what the other girls have said, if it will cause drama and nerves you might want to re-consider.
  • Options
    You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable, this is for you.  Don't just do it because you are afraid of hurting someone's feelings...I'm in a dilemma myself..My father and I are not on speaking terms at all, he doesn't even know I'm engaged so my grandmother took it upon herself to tell an uncle he was walking me down the aisle, but I was thinking of asking my best friend's dad who has always been like a father to me, but now I'm thinking of walking alone to keep the peace so I'll be comfortable.. Good luck with whatever you decide
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Walk half way and have your fiancé come up isle to meet you.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!! Great advice! :)
  • Options
    i walked with my H.  it was the best! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards