Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

planning wedding colors around flowers

so i have a very distinct picture of the flowers i want at my wedding.  i am having 7 BMs and want each of them to carry a different color of gerber daisies (light pink, dark pink, yellow, orange, white, purple, lilac). i want my bouquet to have a mixture of all of these colors and some pink and white lilies in it (since these are my favorite flowers :)  and the church where the ceremony is has like a dark burgundy carpet....but it's not really that noticeable with how the lighting in the church is.  any ideas of what colors could tie all of these together?  I have thought about doing green BM dresses to tie together all the colors since all the stems are green....but what would go good with that?! i love bright colors if you couldn't tell from the flowers! any input would be AWESOME!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: planning wedding colors around flowers

• Options
    I don't think anyone will walk away from your wedding talking about the color of the carpet of your venue...jus' sayin. 
  • Options
    no, that's not what i meant at all! i just don't want my colors to completely clash
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    But it doesn't really matter if they clash.  Even if it does, no one will really notice or care.  Don't factor the carpet into your considerations.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    It doesn't matter if they "clash" or not. Trust me, nobody's going to be paying that much attention to the floor ... and if they are, I'm pretty sure they'll understand that you weren't allowed to completely redecorate the church to coordinate with your colors.

I think your colors sound pretty. Change them if you decide you like something else better, not because the church won't match.

FWIW, I for the life of me can't remember the color of the floor in our reception room (Which was also the room I got married in) ... I want to say brown, but I really don't know. I picked colors I liked, and made decisions to coordinate where I could (Like table cloths and napkins), and just didn't worry about the things I couldn't (Like the floor of the venue).

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    If people leave your wedding thinking that the carpet didn't match the flowers, then there was more wrong with the wedding ceremony than flowers could fix.

You're way overthinking this.  Here's a reality check for you:  what was the carpet color at the last 6 weddings you attended?  Heck, I don't know the carpet color at my own son's wedding.

It's not entirely your fault:  you've been led, by the marketers of the wedding industry, to believe that the success of your wedding depends on things like the flowers not clashing with the carpet.  And that's just not even close to the truth.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_planning-wedding-colors-around-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:8bd93f0c-6310-42fb-b455-782c4eb01f0cPost:7e8345ae-ce97-4d0d-a886-4f9ace19bba3">planning wedding colors around flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]so i have a very distinct picture of the flowers i want at my wedding.  i am having 7 BMs and want each of them to carry a different color of gerber daisies (light pink, dark pink, yellow, orange, white, purple, lilac). i want my bouquet to have a mixture of all of these colors and some pink and white lilies in it (since these are my favorite flowers :)  and the church where the ceremony is has like a dark burgundy carpet....but it's not really that noticeable with how the lighting in the church is.  any ideas of what colors could tie all of these together?  I have thought about doing green BM dresses to tie together all the colors since all the stems are green....but what would go good with that?! i love bright colors if you couldn't tell from the flowers! any input would be AWESOME!
    Posted by CherylE418[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    what i'm really wanting though is help with colors that will bring all the flower colors together.....in my original post i did say that the floor wasn't that noticeable....aka i'm not concerned about it but thought that when strangers might try to help come up with colors it might be helpful to picture that.  sorry if that came across wrong.  but i really would love help with ideas for colors to go around the flowers i want. please :) i think a light to semi-bright green might be pretty for bridesmaid dresses (since alll of the flowers will have green stems even though they are different colors), but other than that i'm a little lost. i love any bright color so it's really hard for me to choose just a couple or a few!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Cheryl -- I think black dresses or another neutral would accent the colors and look lovely on your girls all night while they are dancing and not holding their flowers.

Also, I'm still not clear whether you are concerned about the carpet, but rest assured, I wore a long cherry red bridesmaid's dress in a church that had terrible red carpet and the pictures are lovely. You don't look at the carpet. You look at the people and the rest sort of fades into the background.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like the light green idea as well as black or champagne.  Is there a dominant color that you like the best?
  • Options
    right now i'm thinking maybe black or a bright green for bridesmaid dresses with yellow detailing for other decorations (maybe a pale yellow--not sure yet, but yellow has ALWAYS been my favorite color! just don't think some of my bridesmaids would appreciate me asking them to pull off a yellow dress since a few of them are quite pale-skinned and blond lol).  as far as dominant color....i really like just about anything. like i said, yellow is my favorite, but anything bright i love also.  soooo i think i'm about sold on the green and yellow idea! thanks for the help :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hmmmmm i like that idea too! the matching shoes is great! man.... now i have to make a decision! that stinks lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards