New Jersey - South
Options

To toss or not to toss?

We recently booked our DJ and are contemplating doing the bouquet and garter toss. We have heard a few mixed opinions about how people feel towards this. I know that at weddings I wasn't always the first girl to jump out on the floor and now a lot of our friends are engaged and not sure if we should single out the ones that aren’t. The DJ did suggest we could do an anniversary dance but I'm also on the fence with that because my parents are divorced and wouldn’t participate in this. Did you or did you not? Will you be doing the bouquet and garter toss? Thanks for your opinions!

Re: To toss or not to toss?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know some people think the bouquet and garter toss are cheesy, but we're doing it and I'm very excited about it! We might also do an anniversary dance but not sure yet.
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are skipping the garter toss because I hate that custom.  My sister did an anniversary dance and it was cute.I have a toss bouquet that I am ordering from Etsy (ribbon roses) that will hopefully break apart as I throw it so all of my single friends get a rose.  We are using "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" so they can all feel good about being single!  I am hoping it all works out!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    angelandlibbyangelandlibby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are skipping the tosses.  I'm not a fan of them and I feel like I'm to old for them.  What is an anniversary dance?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We were told the anniversary dance is something that can be done in place or after the tosses, it’s something fun for the married couples (I’m assuming it’s a slow dance) and they try and get the most recent to the longest married couple and everyone in between on the dance floor.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do either of them. Our request to our DJ was to try NOT stop the party. I feel like everyone is dancing and having a good time and then STOP we have to do something else. We tried to keep the flow of the party throughout the night and not break it up. The only thing people sorta realized we skipped was the cake cutting. A few people mentioned it to me because they thought they had blacked out and missed it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that the majority of our guests that were single thanked us for not singling them out.
  • Options
    angelandlibbyangelandlibby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The anniversary dance sounds okay.  I would tell him to do it if he was having trouble getting people up and dancing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did none of the above.  No one seemed to notice and/or care.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do any of those either and it worked out just fine.  As for the anniversary dance, I feel terrible for those who have lost their loved one.  Can you imagine how difficult it would be to have all the couples dancing and yours is in heaven?  I think it's thoughtful to those married the longest, but sad for those who passed away.Lisa Beth
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing the bouquet toss for similiar reasons as others....not many single people...I refused to ever catch the bouquet at any weddings I went to...and I have been to weddings where someone's boyfriend caught the garter and put it on some girl...not the girlfriend...and it caused a fight.  Who did you end up going with for your dj? Center Stage or DJs Available?
  • Options
    Summer2008Summer2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We skipped the tosses, but did do the anniversary dance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are not doing the flower/garter toss, mostly because as a 38 year old bride I know that I hid in the bathroom at many weddings in order to not have to participate in the flower toss.  That is just my personal feeling though.  I say you should do what makes you happy.  It is your day so you do what you want even if that means doing neither the toss or the anniversary dance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the feedback! Myspacelove we went with Center Stage :)
  • Options
    Kim84mKim84m member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    the toss seems to be at 50% of the weddings I've been to. It's really up to you whether you think it cheesy or fun. I'd just recommend that if you are going to do it, to play it up and try and make it funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards