Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

What readings are you doing at your ceremony?

What readings (religious or secular) are you doing at your wedding ceremony?
Trying to get some inspiration!

Re: What readings are you doing at your ceremony?

• Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011

FI and I are both bibliophiles and finding out that we both read the same authors was a huge part of what attracted us to each other and the conversations we had... I'm pretty sure the moment I fell in love with him was when he showed up at my house with an armful of his favorite books that he wanted me to read. Neither of us are particularly religious, so we're using quotes from those books. We're going to have one reading that's a collection of about 5 quotes from 5 of our favorite books and the other is this poem from Melanie Rawn's Exiles of Ambrai:

Wear me not as a ring on your finger,
    removed for washing and lost.
    Wear me not as a circle of jewels at your throat,
    so others may see the cost.
    Wear me not as a song on your lips by night--
    to still with the dawn's cold frost.

No, not as a ring on your finger--
    your hand need no adorn.
    No, not as a circle of jewels at your throat--
    to jewels and wealth you were born.
    No, not as a song on your lips by night--
    for such are forgot by morn. 

Wear me instead as a woolen cloak,
    To keep you warm and dry.
    Wear me instead as a Saint-forged sword,
    And keep me always by.
    Wear me instead as this vow on your heart:
    "Yours until I die."

Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    We wanted more secular readings, since FI and I are not very religious. The first one is by CS Lewis, but I cut some of it down to be shorter.

Being in love is a good thing, but it is not the best thing. It is a noble feeling, but it is still a feeling. No feeling can be relied upon to last in its full intensity forever. But of course, ceasing to be “in love” need not mean ceasing to love. Love in this second sense - love as distinct from being in love, is not merely a feeling. It is a deep unity, maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit; reinforced by the grace which both ask, and receive from God. They can have this love for each other even at those moments when they do not like each other. Being in love first moved them to promise fidelity: this quieter love enables them to keep the promise. It is on this love that the engine of marriage is run: being in love was the explosion that started it.
    ~ The words of CS Lewis

Union
    by Robert Fulghum
        You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making promises and agreements in an informal way. All those conversations that were held riding in a car or over a meal or during long walks - all those sentences that began with “When we’re married” and continued with “I will and you will and we will”- those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe”- and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding. The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “ You know all those things we’ve promised and hoped and dreamed- well, I meant it all, every word.” Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another- acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, and even teacher, for you have learned much from one another in these last few years. Now you shall say a few words that take you across a threshold of life, and things will never quite be the same between you. For after these vows, you shall say to the world, this- is my husband, this- is my wife.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We are doing 2 Bible readings and one not-Bible reading.

Reading 1 : Romans 12:1-2, 9-18

Reading 2 : Matthew 5:14-16

Reading 3 : Apache Wedding Prayer:
    Now you will feel no rain,
    for each of you will be shelter for the other.
    Now you will feel no cold,
    for each of you will be warmth to the other.
    Now there will be no loneliness,
    for each of you will be companion to the other.

Treat yourselves and each other with respect,
    and remind yourselves often of what brought you together.
    Give the highest priority to the tenderness,
    gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.
    When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship;
    as they threaten all relationships at one time or another,
    remember to focus on what is right between you,
    not only the part which seems wrong.
    In this way, you can ride out the storms
    when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives,
    remembering that even if you lose sight of it
    for a moment, the sun is still there.
    And if each of you takes responsibility
    for the quality of your life together,
    it will be marked by abundance and delight.

Go now to your dwelling place,
    To enter into the days of your life together,
    And may your days be good and long upon the earth.

• Options
    I love the Apache wedding prayer! I think that FI and I are going to use it too- it is so cute!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Oh, and I think I am also doing the Irish Blessing because my family is Irish.

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

There is also an Irish Marriage Blessing thay I like

May God be with you and bless you.
    May you see your children's children.
    May you be poor in misfortunes
    and rich in blessings.
    May you know nothing but happiness
    from this day forward.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I used the following secular readings, and a Scripture from Ruth.

*“Time In A Bottle",  by Jim Croce

“If I could save time in a bottle, the first thing that I'd like to do,
    is to save every day ‘till eternity passes away,
    just to spend them with you.
    If I could make days last forever; if words could make wishes come true;
    I'd save every day like a treasure and then, again,
    I would spend them with you.
    If I had a box just for wishes, and dreams that had never come true;
    the box would be empty, except for the memory of how they were answered by you. But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do.
    I've looked around enough to know that you're the one I want to go through time with.”

*‘I Do’ – Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City

His ‘hello’ was the end of her endings.
    Her laugh was their first step down the aisle.
    His hand would be hers to hold forever.
    His forever was as simple as her smile.
    He said she was what was missing.
    She said instantly she knew.
    She was a question to be answered.
    And his answer was “I do”.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    We're doing Union by Robert Fulgham

"You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all of those conversations began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talk that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all of those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All of these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment, you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world – This is my husband. This is my wife"

As well as an excerpt from The Velveteen Rabbit
    "What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
    "Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but Really loves you, then you become Real."
    "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
    "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
    "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"
    "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get all loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    We did two readings:

The Key To Love
    The key to love is understanding…..
    The ability to comprehend not only the spoken word
    But those unspoken gestures
    The little things that say so much by themselves.
    The key to love is forgiveness…..
    To accept each others faults and pardon mistakes
    Without forgetting, but with remembering
    What you learn from them.
    The key to love is sharing…..
    Facing your good fortunes as well as the bad, together
    Both conquering problems, forever searching for ways
    To intensify your happiness.
    The key to love is giving…..
    Without thought of return
    But with the hope of just a simple smile
    And by giving in but never giving up.
    The key to love is respect…..
    Realising that you are two separate people, with different ideas
    That you don’t belong to each other
    That you belong with each other, and share a mutual bond.
    The key to love is inside us all…..
    It takes time and patience to unlock all the ingredients
    That will take you to its threshold
    It is the continual learning process that demands a lot of work…..
    But the rewards are more than worth the effort….
    And that is the key to love.

Second Reading
    1Peter 3:1-7
    1 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. 3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, 6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

7 Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

• Options
    We are doing "I Do" By Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City, also! I won't repeat it.
    Siggy Challenge~Fur Baby~September 2012 Board imageMy Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing two readings:
    We are also doing the Irish Blessing but having our Moms read it together in place of a unity or sand ceremony. I am Irish and FI is spanish so My mom will read it in English and MOG will repeat it in Spanish.

We're also doing this reading by Ann Landers that I randomly found:
    Love is friendship that has caught fire,
    It is quite understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving.

It is loyalty through good and bad times,
    It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances
    for human weaknesses.

Love is content with the present, it hopes for the future,
    and it doesn't brood over the past.

It's the day-in day-out chronicle of irritations, problems,
    compromises, small disappointments, big victories and
    working toward common goals.

If you don't have love in your life,
    no matter what else there is, it's not enough.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards