Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

I Corinthians reading by a WOMAN -- HELP!!

My sister is reading I Corinthians & she pointed out the part where it says "When I became a man..." She is clearly not a man. Is it ok to change it to "When I became a woman..." or should it be kept as is since it is a Biblical verse? We think it's weird for her to say that & we want her to do the reading, not a male.

Thanks!

Re: I Corinthians reading by a WOMAN -- HELP!!

• I don't think it would be weird.  Even though your sister is reading the passage; it wasn't written by her, and it would be in the words of the person who wrote it.  I have heard this done at weddings before, and all the weddings I've been to have had women as the readers.  I never noticed it to be awkward.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks. I was thinking it should be read as written but wasn't sure if people changed it. Thanks!
  • Everyone will know these are not her words, they are the words of St. Paul.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • M&MJKM&MJK member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Keep it as is.  She can introduce the reading as "A reading from the first letter of St. Paul to the Corinthians" and no one will bat an eye.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with NOT changing it. She's not speaking as herself, she is quoting from the Bible.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited July 2012
    My sister read the exact same verse.  She said "when I became a man, or in my case, a woman"...didn't bother me.
  • A nun read our Corinthians verse.  No one thought twice about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Can she read it as written??  OF COURSE, she can read it.  PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE WORDS!!!! 

Women read the Bible every day, word for word, all over the world.  I cannot believe you've never seen/heard a woman read the Bible in which she speaks words written from the perspective of a man.  But I won't get into that.  Yes, a WOMAN can read each and every word written from the passage you've cited.  *sigh*
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_i-corinthians-reading-by-a-woman-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9dbc9e9d-87e6-453f-a391-148fe26f3b08Post:1205113b-4416-4a6b-862a-5c09207a7839">Re: I Corinthians reading by a WOMAN -- HELP!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everyone will know these are not her words, they are the words of St. Paul.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]
    This.
  • I strongly agree to leave it as is.  If you are including Scripture, I am assuming that it means something to you beyond a pretty verse.  This is a very commonly used Scripture and people will know your sister did not write it, but to change it could be viewed as disrespectful by those to whom the Scriptures mean something
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards