Military Brides

Honoring military personnel

I have always dreamed of my sister being my MOH. Long story short, she is being deployed in April 2011 and I am getting married June 2011. Obviously, I am very upset that she will not be in our wedding (most likely- I understand this could change because it is the Army). We also have other guests who may not be able to make it due to military obligation.

A. Who do I have as my MOH? I never expected to have to choose someone other than my sister.
B. How can we honor those who are not able to make it to our wedding due to there obligation whether it is deployement or inablility to get leave?

Re: Honoring military personnel

• edited December 2011
    As for picking another MOH, Do you have a best friend or something? If you don't have anyone else "worthy" of being your MOH, Why not still have your sister as your MOH. Put a note in the program, like an * beside her name explaining that she is currently serving in the Army and is deployed. As for other military guests, If they're just guests, you don't really need to "honor" them just cause they couldn't take leave, but a nice way to remember them & everyone that serves would be to have a candle lit and say that it's in honor of all the men and women who can't be places they'd like to be because they're serving their country instead. My FI & I both serve, & both have alot of people we'd like to come but can't because of military obligation. We both come from military families so we're having a candle lit in honor of everyone in the military. Hope this helps!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but your post comes of a little insensitive to that fact that your sister is being deployed. A little bit like you only care she won't be your MOH.

Do you have bridesmaids? You dont have to have a MOH, it's not necessary or required. Rather than replacing her, honor her by not filling her place with some second choice person.

As for honoring military, you can put something in the program that gives thanks and thoughts for our military. If you are having a religious ceremony, your Pastor or Priest can say a prayer specifically with the military in mind.

Good luck.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you signed contracts for any of your vendors yet? If you really want your sister to be there, you could consider moving your date from June to February or March so she can be there before her deployment. Talk to her about this first, though. soldiers/seamen/airmen/marines usually get leave before they deploy, but the schedule is pretty tight.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    If your sister was always your MOH in your heart why not keep her as the MOH? The MOH's only job is to wear the dress, walk down the aisle, and hold your flowers. Bridal events are not mandatory. Just keep her in the program and keep her spot open to honor her.

We have several people who might or might not make it due to military obligations. We are keeping them in the program. We are also saying a few words to thank everyone for coming and will mention that we miss them but thank them for their service, etc. at the reception. Even though they won't be there to hear it, it will remind everyone at the reception that there are men and women we love serving our country who have to miss out on everyday luxuries for us back home.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards