Military Brides

Honeymoon Help!

FI and I have decided that with roughly 5 months left till the big day we should start making honeymoon plans. Since we'll both be taking 15 days leave for the wedding and the honeymoon, I figured we'd stay close, get a nice hotel or lodge in the mountains and hopefully get snowed in!! FI wants to go to Hawaii or the Caribbean for like a week.. His parents are suggesting a cruise... on their dime. I don't want to be rude, but FI and I wanted to pay for our honeymoon ourselves, not to mention.. I get HORRIBLY seasick. Yes I'm a sailor in the US Navy, who gets seasick. I just got back from deployment on the carrier and I still felt like I was on the boat 3 days later. What do I do? I don't want to offend his parents by refusing thier super generous offer, but I don't want to spend my honeymoon with my head in the toilet in our cabin either. And How can FI and I compromise our "vision" for the honeymoon? Everything would be so much easier if he were here, but he's stationed in Japan and not much help to me here!! Any advice is greatly appreciated!! You ladies are incredible and I love being apart of this board. For those separated from your SO feel free to pm me about any advice or tips or questions!! <3<3
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon Help!

• edited December 2011
    First off, I would decline the cruise offer. For the reasons you explained, no one would chance being sick their entire HM. Thank them for their generosity, but a cruise isn't what you or your FI invisioned.

As for the compromise, is there any way you can afford to do both? I'm not sure what your budget is, but can you do 6 days in the mountains 6 days in Hawaii?

I've never been to Hawaii or stayed very long in the PNW so I don't have any recs for places to stay that might be less expensive so you could manage both. Hope it works out well! : )
  • edited December 2011
    I think its fine to decline their offer...if nothing else, let them know you just spend "x" number of months on a boat and its really the last place you want to spend your honey, regardless of how nice it is.
    I suggested we stay close to his base for our HM because I didnt want to buy plane tickets somewhere and then have his leave changed or denied at the last minute, then be out all that money.  I figured, worst come to worst we'd have to pay 1 night of the cabin and cancel the rest of the reservation.  I'm paranoid though because there were a couple times when we were dating that he wasnt allowed to leave the area at the last minute, and as a bride it just made me sleep better knowing that was our "worst care scenario".  I'm not sure if its something you are potentially facing or not, but its something to consider.
    Good luck though! Just know wherever you are, you'll be together, and thats most important! You can always propose to him/his parents that they pay for an anniversary trip to a "land cruise" all-inclusive place in the Caribbean later :)

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Decline the cruise, explain that since your "office" is a carrier a cruise is not a vacation to you.  I've had people suggest that we hold our wedding/reception on a boat or take a cruise for the honeymoon.  I just explain that the sailor (my FI) doesn't want to spend his leave on another boat, or comment that he will be going on a cruise at some point in the future, I just won't be going with him.  I personally love your idea.  Have you been stationed in Hawaii?  Hawaii was never even an option for us since FI used to be stationed there so it's not a vacation to go to a place that he considered home for almost a decade.  Good Luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wscott5340wscott5340 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I understand about wanting to keep costs low and the concerns about airline tickets, but have you looked into the Hale Koa on Oahu, Hawaii?  It is a military only facility and is AMAZING!!!  The prices are unbelievable for being right there on the beach.  A nice cabin away from people is what my FI and I have been talking about, but he also wants to go back to the Hale Koa sometime soon.  Check out the pics and the prices.  Because you are 5 months out, they might be booked, but if you take a short, and cheap honeymoon, and then save up for a longer vacation/2nd honeymoon, you will LOVE it there!!!

• edited December 2011
    Don't forget that you are both Military and can fly Space Avaliable. (If I remember right you are in the Northwest) I know that JBLM flys to Hawaii pretty often, it shouldn't be too difficult to catch a ride ;) 
  • edited December 2011

I LOVE SpaceA, I'm actually flying to Japan to see my FI next month for $60 round trip vs the almost $6000 I would pay commercial.. Plus it lands on FI's flight line!! SpaceA is an amazing deal for military couples. Thanks for the Hale Koa idea! FFiL is retired CG and he's stayed there. You ladies are The Best!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:08931b4a-57af-4700-b8a5-648d6d94b9aaPost:f4db2508-5514-4fde-b3e3-ebcd55d462c0">Re: Honeymoon Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE SpaceA, I'm actually flying to Japan to see my FI next month for $60 round trip vs the almost $6000 I would pay commercial.. Plus it lands on FI's flight line!! SpaceA is an amazing deal for military couples. Thanks for the Hale Koa idea! FFiL is retired CG and he's stayed there. You ladies are The Best!!
    Posted by Luke&Sam625[/QUOTE]

BUT remember that Space A is NOT reliable and the last thing you want is to miss your honeymoon because the jet "broke."
  • edited December 2011
    Very true but since we supply Hawaii, it's pretty reliable here ;)  OPSEC can't say too much more than that but it sounds like Luke&Sam is pretty close to check out the details. 
  • resumaryresumary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would highly reccommend the Hale Koa in Hawaii, an amazing hotel in the Waikiki... in the midle of everything (go to Keo's if you love Thai food, or take a dinner cruise because it's BEAUTIFUL!) but there are military sponsered hotels all over the world and on every Hawaiian island that accomidate your service members budget!  My suggestion is to figure your fantasy local and research military hotels that fit the area... no matter what you will be with the love of your life and make the memories that last :)  have fun! best wishes :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards