Military Brides

College

I know that this is a while off for me, but I have been thinking about it lately. Do any of yall go to college right now? I want to be a pharmacist, and I am hoping to start school in September of 2011. But I don't know how to do the whole school thing. Will I have to pay out of state tuition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Anniversary

Re: College

• melbelle24melbelle24 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in my second year of medical school right now. How much it costs depends on where you go, private colleges/universities are going to be more expensive. In state schools are always the cheapest option, but sometimes out of state schools will give scholarships that waive the "out of state" tuition to their in-state tuition. There's always the possibility of other academic scholarships, etc. There is money out there, you might just have to hunt for it. And IMO, the money you spend on your education will almost always more than repay itself. Hope that helped!
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, school full-time right now.

I'll be moving soon too, and the best thing to do is google search schools in the area with your major. Request information. But, more importantly call them. You'll get the right info right away.
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, I want to go back to get my PHD unfortunately where I will be leaving, the closest school that offers the program I want will be 3 hours away.. soo..

Back to OP, a lot of states require a years residencey or else you have to pay out of state tuition, just call and ask around. They might also offer some kind of waiver or grant depending on the situation you're in
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are also quite a few state funded schools that will offer in state tuition for AD military and their dependents from what I understand.  H gave me is GI bill because he doesn't need it but unfortunately I may not be able to use it due to the available physician's assistant schools.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

OP when is your wedding?  Are you planning on using the GI bill to pay for college?  You may want to look more into schools that will work with that then necessarily in state tuition.  I already have my Master's degree and now totally regret how fast I got it after my Bachelor's since I could have gotten it paid for with the GI Bill.  Unfortunately it can't be used for student loans at all, so ours will most likely wait for our kids down the road, unless I choose to get another Masters.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • natalieervinnatalieervin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is June 4th of 2011. :) I am not really sure about his GI bill yet. He hasn't decided if he wants to go to school to get his RN or not. So he may be using it. But if he decides not to then yes, I will be using it. My problem is he is getting restationed in August and we wont know where that is until maybe the end of the year. I will for sure be going out of my home state because of the Navy. My FI said that most colleges waive the out of state tuition fee if you are a military spouse. Does anyone know anything about that? I have been looking up scholarships also. They have some for Navy wives, but I think you have to be married for a certain amount of time before you can recieve those. I have good grades and a 3.7 GPA. I am currently taking college classes at my high school. I keep on hearing all my friends talk about their plans for college and most of them have concrete plans, and I havent applied to any! It's kind of stressing me out.. Thanks everyone fo helping! :)
    Anniversary
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_college?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:0912b2d2-8efc-4f75-902b-17ab862ac538Post:af2dc799-da5f-4c0a-ab29-535e6b9e89a1">Re: College</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is June 4th of 2011. :) I am not really sure about his GI bill yet. He hasn't decided if he wants to go to school to get his RN or not. So he may be using it. But if he decides not to then yes, I will be using it. My problem is he is getting restationed in August and we wont know where that is until maybe the end of the year. I will for sure be going out of my home state because of the Navy. My FI said that most colleges waive the out of state tuition fee if you are a military spouse. Does anyone know anything about that? I have been looking up scholarships also. They have some for Navy wives, but I think you have to be married for a certain amount of time before you can recieve those. I have good grades and a 3.7 GPA. I am currently taking college classes at my high school. I keep on hearing all my friends talk about their plans for college and most of them have concrete plans, and I havent applied to any! It's kind of stressing me out.. Thanks everyone fo helping! :)
    Posted by natalieervin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>DEFINITELY go to college. Make it happen somehow. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, you need to do some research into the GI Bill. I'm not 100% sure on all the details, but I think your FI needs to have been in for at least 7 years before he can let a dependent use his GI Bill. Also, if you want to keep it to use for a child later on I believe he needs to either still be in when the kid goes to college or have done 20 years. If he gets out before retirement he can only hold on to it for a couple of years and the child may not be old enough at that point. 

</div>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Victoria2013Victoria2013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay your husband's GI bill will not be your only option.  There are multiple scholarships that you can apply for through the base, just research a bit.  But I knew of this because of a girlfriend and I found the information on militaryonesource.com.  Hope it helps.

October 25, 2010: The MyCAA program will reopen to all eligible spouses under the new program guidelines. All spouses, including those currently participating, will be subject to the new eligibility criteria and revised funding limits below:Spouse of an active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service member, or activated Reserve member in pay grades  E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.If the spouse of National Guard and/or AGR member, the sponsor must be on federal Title 10 active duty orders as reported in DEERS.Spouses of Guard/Reserve members in an Alert, Transition Assistance, or Post Deployment status are not eligible.MyCAA accounts will be limited to the new $4,000 maximum benefit with a $2000 fiscal year cap. Waivers to the fiscal year cap will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification with a cost that exceeds the $2,000 fiscal year cap up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.Spouses must finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.Funding is limited to only Associate’s degrees, certifications and licensure programs.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! This makes me feel a little better! :) I am ready for my FI to find out where he will be stationed or even possibilities so that I can begin to look around at the colleges and scholarships they offer also. Thanks again!
    Anniversary
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It gets frustrating waiting for your next station.  We had to wait to plan our wedding around our PCS, and I'm a teacher so I had to wait to find out our new station before I could start applying to transfer my certification to the new state.  My H is also in the Navy, and we didn't get any orders the first time around, so we had to pick again the next time.  Its very frustrating and stressful.  Your FI might be able to figure out his options before even picking orders though.  For example, my H knew he was most likely to be stationed on an air craft carrier, so we were limited to a few bases and carriers.  Once we knew our few options, I started looking into the certification requirements and what I needed to do, so that when we got orders to Washington I was ready to start what I needed to do.  So maybe your FI can narrow down a few choices and then you can start looking into your options in each area.  Good luck!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

FI has tried to narrow down the search area a little bit. But right now, nothing is open. He has to have sea duty next. I guess I will just have to be patient and wait. I'm really not good at the patience thing. I guess I'm gonna have to learn soon! lol Thanks!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards