Military Brides

A FREE wedding dress??

My husband and I are having a vow reaffirmation ceremony and huge wedding reception where we are saying "screw etiquette" we are going to do what we want to do b/c we didn't really do it the first time. Turns out, we aren't alone. There was an article in our local newspaper this morning about that very thing. Check it out, my friend and I will be traveling to Raleigh, NC thanks to this article b/c my husband and I qualify. Maybe you do too??

I like to joke that you know you're a military wife when you have two wedding anniversaries, the day you actually got married (probably at the courthouse) and the day you had a "real" wedding.

Many a military bride has walked down the aisle in a beautiful white wedding gown, already married to the guy waiting at the altar. Between deployments, schools, training and all the other reasons the military has for keeping would-be brides away from would-be grooms, it's a wonder that any of us managed to get married at all. I've only got the one anniversary — the stars just so happened to align for us — but many of my friends have two. And, on a positive note, the upside to having two anniversaries is that you are twice as likely to celebrate your anniversary together each year. You've got two dates to shoot for instead just one, so if you miss the first, maybe you'll hit the second.

I have one Army wife friend whose parents still don't know that her big wedding several years ago was actually hers and her husband's second. She said it would break her folks' hearts to know the truth. When I asked her what they thought about her living arrangements prior to the big wedding, she said she and her hubby just told everyone they were living in sin. For them, that was the less scandalous story.

Whether this is your "real" wedding or your "necessary" wedding, there's an organization called
www.bridesacrossamerica.com/Home_Page.html" target="_blank">Brides Across America that wants to give you a free dress. Yes, you read that right. A free wedding gown, designed by the likes of Carolina Herrera, Amsale and many others — no third rate rejects here.

Brides Across America has enlisted (pun intended) bridal salons all over the U.S. to donate gowns to qualifying military wives. The web site for the group says "Brides Across America was born on a realization that our country needs to do more to support our troops and their families...The wedding industry is making a difference and giving brides to be the opportunity to find the wedding gown of their dreams as well as alleviating financial stress of purchasing a wedding gown." 

Each store will select a number of gowns to give away on differing dates. Most of the gowns are samples and overstocks and are worth between $500 to $3000 each. Dresses range in size from 4 to 22 and will be given away on a first-come, first serve basis as long as you qualify. 

(In case the word "sample" scares you off, here's what it means: It's the dress that designers send to the store for would-be brides to try on. Think of it as a floor model. There is nothing wrong with it. In fact, my wedding gown was a sample.)

To qualify:
You must be engaged or had a civil ceremony and be planning a wedding within the next 18 months. You or your fiance were deployed within the past 5 years to Iraq or Afghanistan and have not had a formal wedding. You or your Fiance is on active duty and will be deploying to Afghanistan or to another war zone. All military brides must bring drivers license or military ID.  You must have a copy of yours or your fiance's orders that state the time and location of the deployment.
(NOTE: According to the website, you may qualify even if your courthouse wedding was as much as five years ago. It's worth calling the participating salon in your area to ask.)
For Brides-to-be near Fort Bragg, www.abridalworld.com/" target="_blank">A Bridal World salon in Raleigh is participating. The giveaway will be held Nov. 9 & 10 at A Bridal World, 6350-103 Plantation Center Dr., Raleigh, NC. (919)872-7433.

There are salons, literally, all over the country participating, though.
www.bridesacrossamerica.com/Home_Page.html" target="_blank">Check out the website for Brides Across America to find the giveaway date and place nearest to you. You'll also find the answers to most any question you may have on the site.

Oh, and, congratulations! Welcome to the Military!

Re: A FREE wedding dress??

• maggyirismaggyiris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow this is amazing!! AND there is a salon here in houston!!! yay!!
    thanks so much!!
  • edited December 2011
    This is a great opportunity!  I got my gown from a bridal gown giveaway for military brides sponsored by the USO.  It was amazing!  I couldn't have asked for anything better!  Register for your chance! You won't be sorry!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It's so good to see people who don't care about "2 weddings". It seems to be a major faux pas, but I would do it in a heartbeat had we been in a deployment situation!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards