Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Questions about rehersal

I have a 2 part question, and any advice on either would be great! 

1: When we booked our venue, we had to also book our rehearsal at the venue. We're getting married on a Friday in July, and we booked our rehearsal for 7pm on the Thursday - the day before the wedding. Fiance's parents are throwing a mini - rehearsal cocktail party afterwards, which will be over around 10pm.

I originally picked this time / date because I have a BM who will be out of town and won't get in until Thursday morning. Also, I want to drop off all of the centrepiece stuff / step up the room the night before. I don't want a guest of family member have to do it.

Is this a bad idea though, seeing as how the wedding is the next day? Some people think it is, but I don't think so, but maybe I'm missing something. I never go to bed before midnight anyways, and our ceremony is 5pm on Friday, so it's not like I'm getting up at 6am the next day for hair / makeup.

Question number 2. We booked an officiant and if we want her to come to our rehearsal it will be an additional $100. Is it worth it? I really don't  know a whole bunch about rehearsals, but I plan on only spending max. 10 minutes walking down the aisle, telling the WP when to walk, and setting up the seating for the wedding. Am I missing something? Why would the officiant need to be there? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Questions about rehersal

• Options
    Even though YOU don't go to bed before midnight, others do. And since it's a Friday, many of them can't even sleep in, since although it sounds like you took the day off, not everyone else might have been able to do that. However, are you holding your guests there against their will? I mean, surely they can leave and get home in time to go to bed or watch Leno or what ever...

I think it depends on the officiant... at my friend's rehearsal, we actually really needed the officient, lol. But I know that's not for everyone. If you don't think it's needed, then go without it. I mean, at her rehearsal it was his church, so he had to be there regardless. Oh, and we used the time to sign the papers and stuff like that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_questions-rehersal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:a7425e32-d383-4483-8d07-b92fcd9fdc8cPost:238b6a66-b1c0-456a-9e27-36e4c8582576">Questions about rehersal</a>:
    [QUOTE] Is this a bad idea though, seeing as how the wedding is the next day? Question number 2. We booked an officiant and if we want her to come to our rehearsal it will be an additional $100. Is it worth it? I really don't  know a whole bunch about rehearsals, but I plan on only spending max. 10 minutes walking down the aisle, telling the WP when to walk, and setting up the seating for the wedding. Am I missing something? Why would the officiant need to be there? 
    Posted by shoegal715[/QUOTE]

I read your first question twice and I'm totally confused...maybe it's just me.

As for #2...really?  $100 EXTRA for rehearsal....that completely doesn't sound "right" to me.  They should be there for your rehearsal no matter what, it is after all the rehearsal and needs to be coordinated.  Now I could see it being $100 total for the rehearsal and ceremony...but again, I'm slightly confused.
  • Options
    I wish we'd rehearsed with our officiant.  There were a few more traditional phrases that I'd deliberately left out of the ceremony... that he threw in anyway.  I definitely would have paid the extra money to have been able to go through it once and say, "No, don't say that."
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_questions-rehersal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:a7425e32-d383-4483-8d07-b92fcd9fdc8cPost:1107e40b-9a58-413e-ab9f-e2af2a068aef">Re: Questions about rehersal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Questions about rehersal : <strong>I read your first question twice and I'm totally confused...maybe it's just me. </strong>As for #2...really?  $100 EXTRA for rehearsal....that completely doesn't sound "right" to me.  They should be there for your rehearsal no matter what, it is after all the rehearsal and needs to be coordinated.  Now I could see it being $100 total for the rehearsal and ceremony...but again, I'm slightly confused.
    Posted by future-mrs[/QUOTE]

<div>Meh, I doubt it's you. Maybe I didn't word it properly.</div><div>
    </div><div>Essentially, I'm wondering what is better: </div><div>a) hold the rehearsal the night before the wedding; or </div><div>b) a few days before the wedding in case things get stressful and I need that night before the wedding to do any last minute details.</div><div>
    </div><div>Right now, I picked day before wedding because one bridesmaid won't be in town until the day before. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, with the officiant fee, maybe it's a geographical thing, but all of the other officants I met with had the same sort of fee for the rehearsal - it's essentially a travel fee (a steep one at that lol). I'm not really concerned about the fee, just wondering if it's worth paying the $100 to have her there.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A: Tge day before should be fine, that is traditionally when its done.  Even if you  have lots of setup, it seems like you'll have plenty of time.

B: Absolutely have your officiant there! you want to make sure you are on the same page, and iits your last chance to make any changes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_questions-rehersal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:a7425e32-d383-4483-8d07-b92fcd9fdc8cPost:23c21d32-5e22-4837-bfbf-ef47c80b17e9">Re: Questions about rehersal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Questions about rehersal : Meh, I doubt it's you. Maybe I didn't word it properly. Essentially, I'm wondering what is better:  a) hold the rehearsal the night before the wedding; or  b) a few days before the wedding in case things get stressful and I need that night before the wedding to do any last minute details. Right now, I picked day before wedding because one bridesmaid won't be in town until the day before.  Also, with the officiant fee, maybe it's a geographical thing, but all of the other officants I met with had the same sort of fee for the rehearsal - it's essentially a travel fee (a steep one at that lol). I'm not really concerned about the fee, just wondering if it's worth paying the $100 to have her there.
    Posted by shoegal715[/QUOTE]

Muuuuch better, ty for re-wording.  I would definitely just go ahead with the rehearsal the day before, around here, that's what everybody does.

As for the officiant fee, if that's cool with you, than definitely have her there!
  • Options
    your officiant will generally run your rehearsal, I would definately suggest having them there.  Remember they have performed many weddings.  They will listen to what you want, but I think they know what works and what doesnt.  I would definately have them there!

As for the rehearsal dinner.  Someone else said your not holding them there against their will.  If they want to go home and go to bed, they absolutely can. 
    BabyFruit Ticker photo dip1004.jpg
  • Options
    I'd arrange for the officiant to be there  - but I'd see what you can do about having the rehearsal earlier and quicker.
  • Options
    In my experience, rehearsals are usually done the day before the wedding.  In your case it seems the practical thing to do.  You have OOT wedding party members, you will need to do a little setting up for the centerpieces, and it will be fresh in everyone's mind. 

Yes, it's a weeknight, so RD guests might not want to stay out late.  So I'd plan on something simple and quick afterwards, and wouldn't expect the cocktail party to run as late as you expect it to. 

And yes, you need the officiant at the rehearsal, because he is the one that "leads the show", both at the rehearsal, and the ceremony.  Even if everyone else knows what you want, and you have given him a detailed program/script, it still needs to be coordinated and timed out.  And you might want to take your ceremony music with you, so you can time the processionals.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards