Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

ceremony

I'm the first of my friends to get married and I havent been to a wedding since I was about 7 years old... I NEED HELP! I know all about my reception and party, but I have no CLUE what is supposed to go on during the ceremony except our vows. Can anyone help me get some ideas for a good ceremony? I want it to be about 30-45 minutes. THANK YOU!!!

Re: ceremony

• edited April 2012
    Do you want it to be a religious ceremony or not? Where would the ceremony take place? Who will the officiant be? These are all questions you and FI need to answer. If you are getting married in a Church, some churches have a certain order for the ceremony and you don't have a lot of leeway with what you do. Some let you do whatever you want (like ours did). Some officiants are particular, some aren't. I've been to a 90 min. Catholic Mass wedding before and a (literally) 5 min, quick ceremomy with just vows. It really depends on you and your FI's preferences.

ETA: Ours was about 40 min in a Christian Church. We had three readings, a lighting of the unity candle, a sermon by our pastor, and the vows.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Wow 30-45 min is a LONG ceremony.  I'd google this to get some ideas.  There are a million things you can do to stretch things this long; unity candle, readings, religion aspects, etc...  If you’re not getting married in a church you generally have a lot more say in exactly wants in your ceremony.  My FI and I designed the whole ceremony start to finish, Officiant said it should be about 10-15 minutes.  That's with processional, presentation of the bride, Officiant welcome to guests, Officiant thanks to guests, Officiant reading, two readings by family members, hand ceremony, parent thanks, unity candle, vows and ring exchange, pronouncement by Officiant, first introduction, and recessional. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards