Military Brides
Options

NWR traveling in uniform

i always wondered this. my mans a coastie and i know they arnt allowed to wear their uniform out if they arnt doing anything work related but ill see other branches in theirs. just wondering why some can wear them out and some cant

Re: NWR traveling in uniform

• Options
    billman2billman2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's just that each branch has their own set of rules.  DH is in the Marines and they aren't allowed to wear their cammies out in public at all(like they aren't allowed to pump gas off base and even small things like that).  My huband ocne tried to explain to me why the Marines say you can't, but the Army says you can.  I dind't really understand it though.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're not allowed to wear Camies off base for security reasons. If you were a terrorist and saw an old lady, a Marine and a teenager, who are they going to target? Duh.. The one in a military uniform. Wearing camies out in public makes us a target of opportunity. Besides that camies are working uniforms, and should only be worn to work in.  The Army & Air Force are the only branches allowed to wear camies off base, and that is mostly because thats all they have besides a dress uniform. Hope this is helpful!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The people you see in airports are on orders.  We are allowed to wear our uniforms (Army) if we are traveling on orders TDY, R&R or deployment/redeployment. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Fellow Coastie here! Short answer: different branches have different uniform regulations, so it's entirely up to their service on what uniform regulations to set forth.

Our uniform board meets about once or twice per year (can't remember which), and they bring up different things like this (travelling in uniform) and other things like listening to an MP3 player while in uniform. ladies' nail polish choices, renaming uniform items, unit commanding officer privileges, etc. They just recently changed our tattoo policy as well. We're now authorized full sleeve tattoos, whereas from 2005 until just last year, we were only authorized to tatoo up to 25% of an exposed limb (arm or leg) which is roughly the size of your hand, give or take (that's what the recruiters are telling folks).

Pre-Sept 11th, we were authorized to travel in our tropical blue long uniform when performing official travel, but since 9-11 they did away with that because they don't want us to become potential targets. We are, however, authorized to make short stops (getting gas, etc) while in our ODU's (Operational Dress Uniform), but it's not an authorized liberty uniform (going to lunch at Hooters, going to football games, etc).

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    Marines wear a different uniform when they're traveling officially. The service uniform. Think Kevin Bacon in Taking Chance. MARPAT/Flight suits are not authorized off base at all. The service uniforms are supposed to be the equivalent of business attire. 

Somewhere down there in MB land I linked to the orders for the Army  and the MC field uniforms. It's in my other browser's bookmarks, or I'd do it again for ya. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know Army allowes you to travel in your ACU's but only if it is for official travel (R&R, deployment, etc).

The guys (and girls) wear their uniform off post as long as they are in complete uniform (Beret, cover, shirt, pants, boots, etc).  I have seen guys go get food in their unofrms, go to a movie, weddings (elopment), and so much more.

Megan

• Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    Army rules for their cammies, including weddings. 
    Scroll down to 5

MC rules for their cammies, the MCCUU
    Scroll down to 3

For the other branches, I'm sure you could google their versions, if you're curious.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Coast Guard Uniform Regs:
    http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/1000-1999/CIM_1020_6F.pdf

(not sure if that link will work, I'm on a secure intranet connection, so it works for me, but might not for the 'outside world')
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards