Military Brides
Options

South Mesa Club Prices

My father and my step mother got married at Sharkys, which is basically part of the South Mesa Club at Camp Pendleton now. I am marrying a Marine, and I really wanted to get married on base, for multiple reasons. One being that I have dreamt of getting married in the same place as my father, another being that I am marrying a Marine and believe that its fit, especially since we are using Marine Corps colors, and one more being security (its a long story).
At any rate, I had my soon to be mother-in-law call sharkys about prices, and they are the same as on South Mesa Club's. 55 dollars per person with one entree, no alcohol EXCEPT for toasting, which is fine to me. Little did I know, that doesnt include fees for the room. Total, for 150 people (thats our estimate) it will be at least 10 grand...
My father doesnt make enough to pay that, neither do my grandparents, I am a full time student who tutors about 11 hours a week max for 5 dollars an hour while school takes up about 50 hours of my week.
I just do not know what to do. I can quit school, but that would make my family very upset, and id be pretty disappointed, but id get my dream wedding.. or of course I can go off base, but I wont have my dream wedding, and I can just forsee the security issues..
Basically, this long story leads to, does anyone know anywhere else that I can have a reception on Camp Pendleton, and if not, if there are any discounts I can get at South Mesa Club?? And of course, if neither of those, where I can go off base??

Thanks so much, any response is greatly appreciated.

Autum Fox

Re: South Mesa Club Prices

• Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to my first MC Ball at that club. It's a really unattractive room. I'm not sure if you've been there, but there are other places in San Diego that are military related, and not ON MCBCP. I love Camp Pendleton and all, but it's not a very attractive installation.

Try Admiral Kidd, it's a lot prettier.

And also everything Rach said.

ETA: Both of you need to make your social networking sites more private, especially if your FI really wants the MOS he says he does. And tell B that graduating from SOI does not give him a PhD in killing. He'll have to make at least E7 for that.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lol thanks guys.. I guess.

It isnt my parents job to pay for the wedding, this I know. My family WANTS to pay for the wedding. The security that I am worried about is not about my personal safety, but about people that I do not want coming to my wedding (aka trouble makers of my family). They already know where I live, my name, my phone number, etc, so I do not really have too much more to hide from them.

The reason my prices are so low is because im tutoring under the table and I just started. I do not want to charge a bunch of money when I this is my first rodeo so to speak.

The two places are basically the same. They are both on base, and have the same prices. South Mesa has different rooms to choose from.

With the budget, there is no definitive budget. My father says 5,000, my grandparents say they want to help, my soon to be mother in law wants to help and of course my fiance and I are saving also... no one seems to want to give a designated amount, which with the economy I guess is understandable, but it makes it hard to pick venues without discussing prices first.

My fiance puts what he wants on his social networking sites. I figure if he his old enough to get married then he is probably old enough to decide what to put on his site. He goofs around a lot, and he is a jokester.. I mean, since you two dont really know him, you wouldnt know that and of course would make that assumption.. I understand. But I will pass that information along to him.

Also, I tend not to put anything on the internet that I would be afraid of my father or grandparents seeing... so I am not too worried about mine. Thanks for the concern I guess.

I do not know if im misreading your post rach, but I feel that it is pretty uncompassionate. Please let me know if i am misreading it or if I should really stay off the forums.

Thanks

AUTUM FOX :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and also, let me just clarify; Between classes and homework, I put in over 50 hours a week, with about 11 hours of week where I tutor.  I also have medical problems that make just this alone hard enough. I do not think I could handle 60 + hours and then another part time job. My days revolving around school are generally 13-15 hour days as it is, about 5 days a week.. That leaves me the weekend, maybe half of a Friday, in which that would be the only time to see my fiance and plan the wedding. Otherwise, I would be more than willing to go get another part time job.

<3
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I saw pictures of you in your bra, but if you want that on the internet, good to go. And if B truly wants to be an 0321, he REALLY needs to work on his PERSEC.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, since your FI just graduated SOI, and isn't currently deployed, I assume there have been no combat deployments yet, just CAX from the looks of it. I would truly advise waiting. If he really is going to try and go Recon, you need to experience at least an 0311 deployment. It's tough being an SF wife. Their deployments are often, and often sans warning, with very little to no contact. You're 19 years old, you don't need to rush getting married. There's no reason. If you're full time at school, you can stay on your parents' insurance. You guys can save a ton of money when he does deploy, and you can get married after. BAH is not a good reason to get married, nor is Tricare, nor is sep pay.

ETA: Tell B to go to his Platoon Sgt. and ask HIM if getting married at 20 as a junior enlisted Marine before a combat deployment is a good idea.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @Wish:I wonder how old those pictures are in all reality :) and there is a good possibility that he will go on a deployment before we get married, which we are hoping for (though people call us crazy). He has been out of SOI for quite some time now, and decided against RECON school for the time being. He is going to a different unit (closer to home) than he was originally assigned, so he is going to a different school :) We arent getting married for insurance, we have been together for over three years. By the time the wedding comes it will be almost 5 years. Our engagement will be quite long, over a year. I will be a few months from 21 and he will be 21. Us getting married has nothing to do with pay. I am not on my parents insurance, nor have I ever been. My uncle was a 1st Sgt in the corps, was in for 23 years. Another Uncle was a captain in the navy, 30 years. There is more history in my family than that, but those are the most immediate and we have their approval. :) I feel that its odd that you googled me.. but thats okay. Thanks for the advice, but considering you do not know the whole story I guess its hard to give completely accurate advice :) But I assure you, we wouldn't get married without approval from both families.

@ Rach: i was speaking of how I was percieving your tone. It is hard to tell on the internet.  It doesn't quite matter anyway, since I will be figuring it out.. but I just assumed that people would be more friendly lol Thank you for your suggestions though, they are greatly appreciated.

I do think, for the most part though, that knot forums are not the place for me. I am glad people are concerned, and I am glad that people give ideas, but it just doesnt seem to be the right place for me.

Thanks girls :)

Good Luck and Happy Weddings!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok then. Since you're HS sweethearts, I'm sure your marriage will be long and happy. In all sincerity, I hope he does deploy before you get married, going through one is the best test of a relationship.

Remember, if I can google that much in five minutes, imagine what someone else who actually cares and wants to harm you can do. That's the point of PERSEC. It gets said time after time, open source intel is some of the most damning, and no service member or family member should be responsible for releasing more info than necessary. Just because other people do it doesn't make it okay. OPSEC/PERSEC are everyone's responsibility.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards