Military Brides
Options

to wear or not to wear?

I know for all those military men and women who had been enlisted for a while before getting married it was definately no question if you were going to wear your uniform or the formal one (idk what to call it) or not. But for those who will just recently be enlisted, are you still going to wear it? Is there any question about it? Any doubt? FI is enlisting in the Navy in July and we are getting married in October. the only doubt is him being the only one in blue in an already Purple wedding.

Re: to wear or not to wear?

• Options
    oxavecamourxooxavecamourxo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I told my fiance that I would prefer he wear a tux rather than his air force uniform for our wedding in August. He is going into the air force on April 27th. I just want him to match all of the groomsmen. I like it when things match... lol
    BabyFruit Ticker Search & Win
  • Options
    Jake&TiffJake&Tiff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance has been in the Army Reserves for two years and is also in ROTC but he's still chosing to wear a tux rather than his uniform.  One reason is that he only has class a's and doesn't want to pay for dress blues.  I think the main reason was that he won't go active untill he graduates college and commissions which won't be untill next spring (our weddings this June) so he would have felt wierd wearing it.  If he isn't enlisted yet you might want to wait  before deciding I know in Jake's case he wasn't issued everything when he first enlisted he didn't get class a's until his basic graduation this might be because he's in the reserves but it's something to think about.
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Rach, whatever he wants to wear. I have friends who got married soon after Boot Camp (which neither they nor I would advocate) and wore their uniforms (they were still super motivated, most people are right after boot camp). It's not about ribbons/medals, it's about having the courage to fight for your country, and just because he'll only have his nat'l defense, doesn't mean that uniform isn't a source of pride. It should be. It represents a choice someone makes, for great love of country, and if he wants to wear it, then awesome. The military is nothing without junior enlisted service members.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edueckmanedueckman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My guy is wearing his dress uniform...I personally don't care if he doesn't match...one of his potential groomsmen is in the air force and would stand out like crazy.  But we are proud of his accomplishments and so is he, so clash or not...the Army dress is what's happening :)
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI is wearing his dress blues. There was never a question about that. We're proud of him and what he does and he wanted to wear them.

One of the groomsmen is also a marine but FI asked if the guy cared if he wore his blues or a tux. So he doesn't, and we'll have him in a tux to match all of the guys.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI is in the army, and he returns soon from Iraq. He is wearing a tux at our june 12th wedding. He would be wearing his class a's BUT the are in storage and they would not be ready in time for him to wear them at our wedding.... he would need to get them tailored and cleaned and there isnt enough time. i wish he could wear them but, the fact that we are getting married is more important that what he is wearing..
  • Options
    luderi51luderi51 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wear-not-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:327e9323-be4e-4c0a-a6e4-db26530c7b01Post:a7c35f61-29a6-467d-9ca4-7a806b2392e2">Re: to wear or not to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance has been in the Army Reserves for two years and is also in ROTC but he's still chosing to wear a tux rather than his uniform.  One reason is that he only has class a's and doesn't want to pay for dress blues.  I think the main reason was that he won't go active untill he graduates college and commissions which won't be untill next spring (our weddings this June) so he would have felt wierd wearing it. [QUOTE]

I have seen a couple weddings where the groom wears his class a's. are you allowed to do that?
  • Options
    AriaGooseAriaGoose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

He can wear whatever he likes!  He'll have earned his uniform, even if he has only been in a short time...

My fiance and I are both Air Force with several years in... he's wearing a tux and I'm going for a white dress...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My Fiance and I are both in the Military. A booter is always going to be super motivated and proud of himself, as he should be, but let him choose. My Marine earned his uniform, and I couldn't be prouder of him.  Your FI will work hard for that uniform, eduring things that you can't imagine, if he wants to wear it, you should let him and not care about the colors, but if you are worried about the colors, why not change them a little to go with his uniform? some lighter shades of purple look really nice with navy (Even though Navy dress blues are technically Black, don't ask me why, but trust me, I'm in the Navy & I wear my Blues enough to know that they are black for both men and women) Also, Depending on what part of the country you're getting married in, it could still be Whites season, In the Northern part of the country you go from dress whites, to blues right after labor day in September, but further south towards Florida & Mississippi, It doesn't change till December. I know you probably want to be the only one in white, so that could help his decision. Bottom line, you should be proud to be with a Man in Uniform, and he's going to be a Sailor every day.
    Ps! Tell him an AZ3 wishes him luck in Battle Stations!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards