Military Brides

Oh sad. :(

So FI is trying to get all the paper work filled out to get his commission. It's taking a long time. Partially his fault, but also his Captain does not seem to be very helpful and very proactive. She doesn't seem to care about getting him commissioned. But whatever.

So he emailed her to check and see if he was missing anything. And he told her he wanted to fill out forms ASAP because it would mean a lot to him, me, and his family to commission July 1. They will be in town for the wedding and his mom wants see/pin her son.

But I guess the process is taking 120 days to go through once everything is finished. The wedding is in 100.

We will be living in California, his family in South Carolina. His family is not well off, his sister had to buy his mother's plane ticket.

We've been working part time jobs and he's graduating college in May. I graduated last year. So doing the wedding and commission at once was a great idea because everyone could be here for both.

So it just all around sucks. Now his mom probably can't come for his commission.

Lame. I know it's like this with the military. You can't plan these things. I mean at least we can still have the wedding and he's not getting shipped off. But this meant a lot to him to have his family there.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Oh sad. :(

• edited December 2011
    His graduation/commissioning is not the same weekend? Strange...H's was.

I'm sorry bout his family. That sucks a lot.

BFP 02/2010 m/c 03/17/2010 dx PCOS 04/2010
    BFP 08/13/2011 CP 08/15/2011
    BFP 09/16/2011 EDD 05/20/2012
    Claire Elizabeth, born 5/30 via a med free birth Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kass08kass08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you put LT on the invites?
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That's rough. I know if/when I commission, it'll be more important than my graduation by far. My education/graduation is a means to the goal of commissioning. Take lots of pics/video. Does your digital camera take good video? Mine takes a really decent 5 minute one.

Also, what ended up happening with the invites/rank issue? Hopefully with this development you went with just names. I saw your post in the other thread too. He should be proud of being an NCO. A Corporal earns his blood stripe and his sword arch if he wants one.

After all, what's the difference between a PFC and a 2nd Lt? 
    A PFC's been promoted! Zing! ;)
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @eskamo FI has finished OCS and everything. He just has to finish college, which he will in May....then they can do the commission ceremony. But they won't commission him immediately because they need legal proof of graduation or whatever. I guess.

No, we didn't put ranks because of this reason. We were worried. So that's fine. It's not a huge deal.

We're just mostly bummed his mom will be here, and can't afford to fly back and we can't afford to fly her out. But we're going to try....

And then he's still attached to his unit in Reno when he wasn't suppose to be. They have AT that he has to go to, a month before the wedding!

it's been a long day, we thought AT was going to be a few says after the wedding, meaning no honeymoon. But we found out more information so it looks like the wedding stuff is OK. But sheesh. This is ridiculous.
  • kass08kass08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not ridiculous. It's the military. Welcome.
  • SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_oh-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:48a09ccc-2a4f-4a7c-873c-3a70ee098cb9Post:7d90034d-c000-4fb5-ad45-e299d57160ef">Oh sad. :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]So FI is trying to get all the paper work filled out to get his commission. It's taking a long time. Partially his fault, but also his Captain does not seem to be very helpful and very proactive. She doesn't seem to care about getting him commissioned. But whatever. So he emailed her to check and see if he was missing anything. And he told her he wanted to fill out forms ASAP because it would mean a lot to him, me, and his family to commission July 1.
    Posted by kaynix21[/QUOTE]

It's not her job to hurry up now that he's realized there is a time crunch. That is why planning ahead is so important.

It sucks that his family may not be able to make it to his commission. Set up a fare watcher alert for the week you think he will commission and keep an eye on ticket prices. You might be able to snag something for a good price. Like Stan said, if they can't make it film it and/or take lots of pictures. Then you can do a little slide show to send the family.
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @kass yeah it's the military, but it's still pretty ridiculous sometimes.

@spunkchin It's not him. He's been asking about forms and paperwork for months. He was asking eight months ago. We arranged the wedding when we did because we were told the commission would work out in July and there was time, etc., etc. So he didn't sit on his ass screwing around and decided now would be a good time to ask. It's just how things happen. And yes, I know that's the military way. But it doesn't mean I have to think it's a good way or like it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards