Military Brides

To All my Air Force Ladies

My FI is in the Air Force and wants to wear his Mess Dress (Dark Navy) he is still in flight school and one of his only wedding request is he wants his guys/ GM to wear Black Suits ...

I really dislike Navy/Black but I'm willing to give him this one since its the only thing he has been vocal with....
Any other ladies out there have your FI wear his Mess Dress too... What colors did you pair with it? He is going to send me his extra pants to match with but I'm at a lost to wear to start picking colors LoL
I'd love any help!

Re: To All my Air Force Ladies

• edited December 2011
    My fiance is in the Canadian Air Force and I really wanted him to wear his best.  It's nice to see him in it as he is in his camo every day.  His is the typical "Canadian Air Force Blue", a bluish gray colour.  I am not having a big wedding but I am working that colour into my bouquet.  My daughter is giving me away and is wearing red, so my bouquet will have red and accents of the blue. 

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get too matchy.  It will be a stunning look any way you cut it....
    The new Mrs. Love
  • bintmejnunabintmejnuna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm AF but my fiance is Army.  He's wearing his blues which have the dark jacket and kinda royal blue pants.  I didn't take his uniform in to consideration when I picked my colors because a military uniform is sort of a stand alone thing.  I think it will look great in any setting with any colors. 
  • edited December 2011
    thanks ladies! I sent a picture to him with a Groom in his mess Dress 2 GM in Mess Dress and 2 in Black to see what he thinks about the color scheme. Seeing it together reaffirmed my dislike for the black but like i said before I am willing to get over it. I just wanted to make sure he saw how it looks too. In the event that maybe he didn't. hehe
    Now we will have to wait and see :-)
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Bint. My FI and one groomsmen wore AF mess dress, another GM wore Army Dress Uni (black jacket, royal blue pants w/ yellow stripe) and the other two GM wore black tuxedos. BMs wore spring green, MOH wore bright blue. Looked great:

Don't worry about matching colours to military uniforms. It's not worth the trouble since the uniform will look great no matter what. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_air-force-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:57c13ff4-8652-4e1e-9f0b-7c2ab2e0d486Post:9c88a141-44e0-4df6-9548-0d5d3161bd6e">Re: To All my Air Force Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks ladies! I sent a picture to him with a Groom in his mess Dress 2 GM in Mess Dress and 2 in Black to see what he thinks about the color scheme. Seeing it together reaffirmed my dislike for the black but like i said before I am willing to get over it. I just wanted to make sure he saw how it looks too. In the event that maybe he didn't. hehe Now we will have to wait and see :-)
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you're talking about the pic from my wedding. The suits the GM are wearing are actually navy blue, not black. Since your H wants to wear his Mess Dress, let him. Especially, if he'll have his wings by your wedding. After all that hard work he'll want to (and deserve to) show them off.

As for other colors that will "go" with blue and black, all of them do. I think bright, cheery colors are always fun and will pop nicely in your photographs.
  • edited December 2011
    Spunkin-  I did send him your Pictures. I was never considering asking him NOT to wear his Mess Dress. I love his Mess Dress just has much as him (although he walks around calling himself a stud when he wears it haha) You are completely right about working hard to earn it.

We were talking about it last night on Skype and we were going back and forth but honestly I like the Black and Navy better than the gray when I saw the grey options. He looks good standing out in the WP so I'm good with it. Thanks for all your help ladies!
    Now I have to decide what colors to go with for the BMs. Thinking Red- like strawberry or dark pink... i'll keep ya posted! :-)
    Thanks AGAIN!
  • SarahBim2111SarahBim2111 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I had tis same problem.  I wanted him to stand out in his uniform,  but did not want the guys to wear black...  What we are doing is we have picked out suites for the GM that are such a dark navy to wear they are almost black.  It won't look as off I think that way. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i'm pairing a nice green with my airman's mess dress. i've also seen yellow, if you are doing more vibrant wedding. As of late a hot pink is being paired with the navy. Best suggestion, go to a paint store with the dress pants and match them to a color sample and then grab what you like it is the easiest and least expensive way to test and match. Good luck and congratulations to you and your airman!!
    Brittany and Matthew December 28 USAF- Proud Fianc? Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KbrufusKbrufus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My finace is also wearing his mess dress. He's actually taking it to wherever the remaining 4 groomsmen (that are not in the Air Force) are getting thier suits/tuxes and seeing if their is a suit or tux that matches the mess dress.  Hope that helps!

• rezaninrezanin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is also in the Air Force....:) If you go with spring colors through some pinks to soften your colors up, or also go some purples to accent and give a beautiful huge....also maybe some golds and champanges?
  • marisah83marisah83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is also wearing his mess dress.  Since it is essentially a tux, the others are wearing black tuxes.  I don't think it is going to be a big deal to have the blue and black.  He wants to stand out, so I'm fine with that. 
    09.10 Siggy Challenge
    PhotobucketMy favorite picture is of the night we got engaged!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards