Military Brides

Biggest Fear, anyone else share?

So first I should introduce myself...

I'm engaged to a member of the US Army. He was my best friend for 6 years before I realized I loved him. We've been together as a couple for 2 years, engaged for one year and getting married August 6th, 2011.

My junior year in college, he was overseas. So we have survived one deployment, and I feel (like many, many, military gfs, fiancees, and wives) that we grew stronger because of it.

Ok, NOW...
My biggest fear in planning this wedding is that I'm planning it for nothing, that he will be deployed again. I fear that I'm making all these plans and we will have to go to a courthouse and do a civil ceremony. I know I can always post-pone my wedding and do it after he would get back. But it doesn't help the fears that I won't have the wedding I've always dreamed of...please help! I know some of you out there have had this happen and could share some insight, advice, what-have you?

Thanks all! Sorry for the long post!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Biggest Fear, anyone else share?

• Victoria2013Victoria2013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That scares me too while planning our wedding.  But what would really change your big day besides the actual date if you have to post-pone.  Just make sure you get in your contracts a military clause and obviously let your guests know there is a chance they might have to be flexible.  And I'm sure you are more than aware of this, but try not to dwell on that idea and just enjoy this time planning your fiance's and your big day!  
  • edited December 2011
    I agree! I am in the process of planning my wedding and my fiance is getting ready to leave to Iraq, More than likely we are trying to work around it when he is back in the US, so with hope he will be back in july and wont get deployed again for another 6 moths. We are planning a november wedding for 2011,. Just talk to him and see about working around the deployments and such! Goodluck :D
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the other girls. We got engaged the first week of August, he left the third week. He's getting back *crossing my fingers* in April, and our wedding date is set for the 2nd weekend of May!! So we're cutting it close, but try not to stress out about it. While planning make sure to include that he is active duty military and most, if not all venues will be very helpful with the fact that he might get deployed sooner, and if he does than you can either postpone, which will give you more time to save more money for a more fabulous dream wedding =) OR you can do a the civil ceremony before he leaves, and continue to plan while he is gone and have an actual ceremony when he returns. I know of a lot of women that have chosen to do that because a deployment got pushed up.

You have options there and both will allow you to have a fabulously wonderful wedding!! So don't worry! You'll be all upset about the chance of him getting deployed that you won't focus on the wonderful thing that is going to happen between the two of you!! I It's going to be such a great feeling!

I hope everything goes better for you!!! 
  • edited December 2011
    Totally legitimate fear hun. Dealing with the same issue right now. He's enlisted Marine and i'm going into OCS for the Corps. this summer. It'll be two years before we'll be able to "possibly" have a wedding so i'm just trying to remember how much I love him and that even though a perfect wedding would be wonderful being his Mrs. is the best part of it all. That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck and God's speed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards