Military Brides

Unexpected Deployment

So my fiance and I have been engaged for about 2 months now.  We have scheduled our wedding for June 2011 and put many deposits down already.

Two days ago he was told he is to be deployed in August (just a few weeks away).

Oh boy!  So Logistically I didn't know if vendors are very understanding and willing to work with you.  The change would probably be to September 2011,  just to be safe.

Any help or advice would be great!! Smile

xoxo

Re: Unexpected Deployment

• wimb01wimb01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i was afraid that was going to happen to me too!! my wedding is planned for september '11 as well...labor day weekend just to be safe. even if he is home, he might not get leave. so it being a holiday weekend its safer. when we booked things we made sure to ask what would happen if we needed to change dates. they said as long as they are available for the new date its fine. the only one we had issues with was the photographer, and she said as long as she can rebook for our original date then we are fine. you also might want to look into wedding insurance. its not too late to buy!
  • edited December 2011
    OP, please take the deployment dates out of your post.  Also please check this link out to learn more about OPSEC. http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/24777096.aspx

Go talk to your vendors and see if you can get military clauses in your contracts. 
  • BostonGirl114BostonGirl114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone else mentioned wedding insurance.  That might be the way to go thanks!
  • BostonGirl114BostonGirl114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SheilaE...thanks for pointing that out to me...had no idea.  Good to know moving forward!
  • edited December 2011

Military clauses!  They're mandatory in most leasing agreements for houses/apartments, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to put in a clause for your vendors.

If his orders aren't official yet, go back to your vendors and try to get it worked into the agreement.  Talk to your FI's JAG lawyer to see if they would be able to help you negotiate the terms of the contract (rather, have FI talk to the JAG lawyer since you're not a dependent yet).  My BF is a JAG contract for the USMC, and he'd have helped in this situation in a heartbeat.  These are things beyond our control, and as long as you let them know with plenty of time they won't be losing business.  It's more than a year away!  They can't reasonably tell you that you're preventing them from working on that day if you change now.

Also, be careful scheduling on the back end of a deployment as they've been known to be extended significantly.  If you do, make those 'military clauses' rock solid.  The JAG lawyer should be able to help review the contracts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Catemeg nailed it.  If I were you I probably wouldn't do September either just for the risk of the deployment being extended. 

Did you mention anything about possible deployments to your vendors when you booked?  Hopefully you did since whether its scheduled or not deployment is always an option.  Have you started calling any of your vendors to ask what they will do?  Even if you didn't put it in your contract, in my experience many vendors are very understanding with the military and will just move your deposit to another date.  We had to move our date since we found out we were getting PCSed to the other side of the country.  We knew there was a chance that we would bump up the date so we didn't put any deposits down until after, but had picked out all of our vendors.  When you do change it, I would call all of your vendors to get a list of open dates that they have in a certain month, then compare the dates.  Hopefully you'll get lucky and they will have at least one of the same open dates.  If not I would focus on the more important vendors to you, and the ones with less of a deposit to lose.  Good luck!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception on base.  We don't have to pay for the chapel so that is not an issue.  The contract for the reception allows a refund if he is transferred out of the geographical area or has deployment orders.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PBXtrjn4lfePBXtrjn4lfe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've decided to just get married before he leaves and then have the wedding after he gets back from Iraq. Then we'll have more money for the wedding and more importantly, the honeymoon. We agreed that doing it this way would take the pressure off of a certain date.

Otherwise, I would def look into wedding insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards