Military Brides
Options

Cake topper triple dilemma

I am 23 now, but when I was 15 my family took a trip to Ireland. When we were there, my Mom bought us (my sister and I) each a cake topper. It is traditional Irish, red hair... but unfortunately... its not a man in Marine Corps Dress blues.

I really want to use this because it was a great trip and I am Irish... but I want to honor Josh's five years of service too

Then I have a third cake topper, one that won't go on top at all because it is well over 50 years old. It was my (paternal) Grandpa and Grandma's topper, then they added some gold to it for their 50th and stiched a little pillow with the dates.

Our cake has three different bases, so I was wondering if it would be weird if I had the Irish one, a Marine Corps one, and the one that I got when my Grandma died. I just don't know... Because I don't want to hurt my FH, my Mom or My Dad.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cake topper triple dilemma

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your FI - what does he want?  He might not have any interest in having dress blues on the cake topper.  Or, maybe you can put all three on the table and flowers on your cake.  There are tons of compromises, but you should start by talking with him.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    katiebeneskatiebenes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that makes sense... like the kind of sense that makes me feel stupid. I will totally ask him tonight... I know the Irish topper can't be painted... there's no adding a cap to it. but yeah. consulting him... probably one of those things that should've come to my mind.
  • Options
    hegrigsbyhegrigsby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think it would be really weird for you to use all three cake toppers. Like rach said, just because you don't use a cake topper, does not mean you don't care about it.
  • Options
    katiebeneskatiebenes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After taking your advice, we decided thaat we were using all three... now to find a cheaper cake topper with a redheaded bride and a Cpl in his dress blues.

We are putting the other two in front of the cake, by where the fountain will be! thanks for your help
  • Options
    kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask your FI.

Or you could display two of them around the reception area, like next to the guest book or on the WP table...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont know if you have talked to your baker or not but what about having three smaller cakes? Like a Bride's cake, a Grooms cake, and one just for fun? Just an idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would chose the pretty one from Ireland..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards