Military Brides
Options

Vow renewal?

FI and I are set on having a big wedding celebration with all of our friends and family however he is in the Air Force and is leaving soon for basic and then on to tech school. Right now we just can not afford the wedding that we want so we are deciding to do a JOP and then have a big celebration when he finishes with tech school. I want to have the pretty princess dress and my father walk me down the isle and all of that, I want that experience so would we just call it a vow renewal?? Also for a vow renewal how would I word the invites. Would I use my maiden name or married name?? Thanks for any help.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Vow renewal?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It would be a vow renewal, since you would already be married. I would use your married name on the invites, and just tell invite them to witness the renewal of vows between you and him.

BFP 02/2010 m/c 03/17/2010 dx PCOS 04/2010
    BFP 08/13/2011 CP 08/15/2011
    BFP 09/16/2011 EDD 05/20/2012
    Claire Elizabeth, born 5/30 via a med free birth Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It would be a vow renewal.  If you are having a church cermony & getting the church's blessing, I think there is wording that specifies that.  If it's still a civil ceremony I think you just swap the words out.

foreverhis
    and
    FI
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they renew their marriage vows

Saturday, the Xth of Month

etc.

However - why have the JOP ceremony now?  Personally, I don't think the vows at the vow renewal would have the same meaning if I had already gone to the JOP, and I don't think as a guest I would be nearly as excited to attend.  I completely understand wanting to have the wedding that best suits you - I just don't understand not waiting to do so.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree w/ Squirrly. Basic and tech school give you the perfect amount of time to plan a wedding and have it be a wedding, rather than a renewal. 

I understand, though don't always agree with, circumstances leading to JOP, such as a deployment.  But I guess I don't see what the rush is in these circumstances?  Esp as the AF is often (though not always) more family friendly and flexible than other branches.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't even see the rush with a deployment, so I would wait if I were you. Besides, planning the wedding will distract you while he's away, a very useful thing.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well for us, I'm going to use my maiden name on the invitations, and also the registries.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kchat393kchat393 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing one three years later!
    Timing just didn't work out before for us.
    Ours is on our three year anny so the invites are gonna be like
    Mr. and Mrs. kchat393
    invite you to a celebration of their marriage
    Memorial Day weekend 
    culminating in a vow renewal ceremony
    on Sunday May 29th, 2011.

Or something to that effect...it's gonna be a destination wedding, so it's a full three day long event.

&& I understand about the JOP thing... plenty of people have done it. No need to get distracted by a few nay-sayers.
  • Options
    kimberlyirenekimberlyirene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did a jop in october and our ceremony and reception are at the end of feb. weve got our reasons for doing it, we told everyone and everyone that loves and supports us will show up. we worded the invites 'to join us as we celebrate our marriage'. we didnt say vows in the courthouse (it was so fast, literally the clerk just signed the paper), so this will be the first time we say them.
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vow-renewal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c2626908-19ea-4f6d-a60c-76df1963f5a3Post:5f2d34b6-61f0-402b-84e2-f4b7aa760e8b">Re: Vow renewal?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we did a jop in october and our ceremony and reception are at the end of feb. weve got our reasons for doing it, we told everyone and everyone that loves and supports us will show up. we worded the invites 'to join us as we celebrate our marriage'. we didnt say vows in the courthouse (it was so fast, literally the clerk just signed the paper), so this will be the first time we say them.
    Posted by kimberlyirene[/QUOTE]

I don't want to push this point too much.  However, whether the clerk had you repeat them or not, that was your wedding.  Any secondary ceremony without a divorce in between is a vow renewal. 

Good for you for being truthful about it.  Unfortunately, not everyone is.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a civil ceremony in March/April before FI deploys to Afghanistan and vow renewal in October after his EAS. We seriously have been trying to get married since last year, FI's contract was supposed to expire June 1st 2010, and we were going to get married in May- but surprise! He's getting deployed again. Thank goodness they can only keep him in Afghan until the end of August and then the out-processing starts (he's an officer so I don't know if enlisted is different).

We are not keeping it a secret. Civil ceremony our immediate family will be there with us, and our renewal all our family and friends. It's just going to be a big party, and we are paying for it... not our parents. We have told everybody that we could think of and we are wording it on the invitation that it's a celebration of our marriage. I feel that the people that love and care for you will support you if you're honest. With our situation everybody is backing us 110% and I am so happy that we've told everybody the truth. Hope that gives you some insight....
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards