Military Brides

tricare questions

Hi my FI told me about the tricare program awhile ago and I really didnt give it any thought but he said I should look it up and reasearch it. Well I went to the site and it said I would be eligable for 2 different services. Tricare premium or something like that and tricare standard and extras. I was looking at the compare features part and one of them said that retiree's families are eligable to keep coverage for a small fee every year after the service member retires. I am wondering does that also go for service members who are getting medically retired? Also which plan is better? Can you sign up for both? Also how long from the time you sign up untill you are covered? My FI is still concidered Active duty miltary and is in the WTU program and is getting medically retired because he of a few things that has happened to him includeing getting blown up 3 times on his second tour and permant back and knee problems. I don't want to seem "benifit hungry" like some people have called others. I am just trying to figure this all out and have no clue where else to ask.

Re: tricare questions

• edited December 2011
    I would be more concerned with if you will be able to receive benefits at all if he is getting chaptered out. How long will you be married for before he gets out?
    BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• edited December 2011
    Retirees in the military mean those who have done 20 years or more of service.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    your husband will likely receive VA benefits for injuries that are service related, if he is deemed to have >70% (I *think* that's the cut-off) then he will be elligible to receive all his healthcare from the VA.  If he has sustained any amputations/very severe injuries from being "blown up" then he will likely continue to receive care from a MedCen (major mil med center - WRAMC, BAMC, TAMC, MAMC....).

You however will not receive any such benefits (unless he's served />= 20 years).
  • KilleenBrideKilleenBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked it up again on the tricare website and he even talked to his friend who is allot higher up and we already know that I will be eligible at least till he gets out and as far as we have read, there should be a yearly fee after that, if not we are looking into health and dental insurance to purchase ourselves. His case manager has already told him that he will be getting full benefits and his health and dental will continue after he gets out. And since his contract still has until 2014 and the process of getting medically retired is going to take a long time (at least a year or longer) then I will be able to have them at least until then. All this stuff is just confusing because heck I didn't even know about the benefit part until he mentioned it and wanted me to look it up.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you sure that he's getting medically "retired"? I've never heard of anyone getting medically retired, only medically discharged. I could be entirely wrong, but I would definitely confirm that if I were you. Like PP said, in the military "retired" means you served 20 years or more. Unless he is indeed retiring, I do not believe you will be eligible for benefits after he is out.

That being said, in answer to your other questions - the two options are Tricare Prime and Tricare Standard. Prime has very limited if any out-of-pocket costs, but you must be treated by a military doctor at a military hospital unless that facility is unable to accommodate you, in which case they will refer you elsewhere. 

Tricare Standard has a much higher out-of-pocket cost, but you can see any doctor you like. I don't know much about Standard because I've only ever had Prime. 

As for how long it takes for you to be covered - you are covered under Standard automatically as soon as you are enrolled in DEERS. If you want to opt into Prime you have to go to their office on base and fill out the application. If you submit the application before the 15th of the month, you will be covered at the beginning of the next month. If you submit it after the 15th, you will be covered at the beginning of the following month. I.E. paperwork submitted July 6 = coverage August 1. paperwork submitted July 16 = coverage September 1. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'll preface this by saying I'm a military doctor - in my residency and have 2 military docs for parents and my FI is a military doc (with prior service experience), so I have had some experience in this area. Meltoine is spot on with her differentiation of Tricare Standard & Prime.

As far as I know as well you do not get medically RETIRED, you get medically discharged.  I'm assuming from information I've gathered about you in other posts that your FI has served <20 years, thus he will not be considered a retiree and you will not have access to Tricare after he is discharged.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can be medically retired.  I'm not sure about the details of it because I have never delt with it personally.  However, one of my Sergeants was just medically retired.  She served 15 years.  She was injured durring her deployment to Afghanistan.  She continued to serve for three years after she came home.  Her knee injury continued to worsen.  She has had to have her knee replaced and a few other surgeries.  She was medically retired a few months ago.  She receives full benefits and such.  Her children also continue to receive certain benefits, including insurance. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, so I stand corrected - talked with FI - here's the deal :
    - he will go through MEB (medical board)
    - they will decide if he is medically retired vs. medically discharged
    - if medically retired then he will continue to receive full benefits (as will you)
    - if medically discharged then he will receive medical benefits according to the degree of his injuries

• KilleenBrideKilleenBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes FI checked again and the word the case manager on his med board said that he is getting medically retired, I was thinking at first that it might be discharged but she said retired so I guess that's it. He has been going through med board for a long time but ya'll know how long it takes (forever lol) and like FI said "I am in no hurry because I am still a soldier and serving our country" Thank you all for your replies, I can use all the advice I can get when it comes to this stuff because like I said earlier I had no idea about any of it until recently
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards