Military Brides

Incorporating EAS into vow renewal

So as some of you know I'm having my vow renewal in October, which is also the time my husband will be EAS from the Marines. I feel b/c this is our vow renewal and not our actual wedding, I don't mind having a part of this be a celebration of him being done with active duty. Him and I are paying for the VR, so we may as well knock out 2 parties in one sitting and not have to invite people to 2 different parties :)

However, we don't want the VR to be all moto. What I am thinking of doing is being the speaker for our champagne toast and make a mini speech telling everyone thank you for the love and support that they have given Josh during his time in service and for us as a couple, and also to give my own anecdotes about Josh's time in the military (I've been by his side during his whole time in the Marines as well just an FYI). Would this be cheesy and if it is, would you have any other ideas that I can do that are tasteful?

Oh and as a background to this- my husband is aware of all of this. He feels exactly the same way I do. Something that gives him recognition, but not tacky or too moto. Thanks in advance ladies.
Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Incorporating EAS into vow renewal

• edited December 2011
    I think your husband should be the one to make the speech.  The person who is EASing or retiring is always allowed to speak so to give thanks to all the people he/she has worked with.  He can thank everyone for attending and for providing support in his career and your marriage.  He can thank you for your support (kind of an unwritten rule for the servicemember to do so for his spouse) and then you guys can get the party started.  Any longer and it would be too tedious and would seem too much like an EAS ceremony than a VR ceremony.
  • CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, he is thinking if he does it it'll come off as conceited (he's a modest person). But that is exactly what I want it to be- short, sweet, and to the point. So, I'll tell him to do the speech himself. He should do it, b/c he's the one that earned it!
  • edited December 2011
    Nah.  He would be almost expected to say something whether it's a VR or his farewell party.  But be sure to find out if his 1) Commanding Officer or Officer in Charge (if invited) are going to speak or 2) his unit is giving him an award or gift.  Better to know that before and incorporate it into the ceremony than to have it come out of the blue.  Personally, if your husband were to receive something, he should get it privately at the workplace and not during the VR ceremony. 
  • CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    He won't be getting a going away party. He is a MC officer and the unit he's with will be deployed. In the event something was done for him, it would be in California where we are stationed- not in Ohio where our hometown and ceremony is at. And the CO will not be there. They will all be deployed. Thanks for the info though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards